Should Marching Members (gasp!) UNIONIZE?

1 hour ago, garfield said:

You're right.  It's a dumb subject.  You should skip it from now on.

---  or  ---

You might consider, Mr. Bigshot lawyer, how a laaaaayyman's brain works (after doing something somewhat successful for almost four decades):  These student leaders of their organization acted as representatives of the entire corps in a session of collective bargaining - "negotiation" is their term - to better the environment and experience they were required to accept as part of their agreement (with their sweat (like workers) and dollars (like consumers) to participate in an activity as a group (like line workers except, instead of sewing cloth or twist things together, they blow and beat music) for an organization that sells it for pay to consumers who ingest the product produced.  (Edit: And recognizing that some promptly vomit it back up again.)

When, in (I'm presuming) you equally-long participation in drum corps have you ever heard of a member-chosen representative group negotiating for better operating conditions?  I've been around for more than a few decades and it's MY first time, for sure.

Again - and I am a qualified shill out of love for BK - doesn't the act, by definition, suggest or define that staff and management didn't voluntarily offer these (working) conditions prior to these negotiations?  Why not?  (Again, not pointing at BK - I'm confident that their experience is exceptional by my peanut butter comparison.)

Goodness, it wasn't meant to be that heavy.  It's just that the orgs that I have been involved with spend 90% of staff's time being plugged in to, and concerned about, their members' experience.  If find it, well, eye-opening that students have to ask, let alone feel compelled to "negotiate" for better conditions.  It could very well have been an unfortunate misuse of the example by a young person, but he seemed quite proud of the accomplishment's effort.

I tease in earnest and appreciate both your professional and non-profit experience.  But don't try to "lawyer" me down because I'm too slippery.  I've been disclaimer-dodging hotshot lawyers for 38 years, even as I appreciate the verbal joust.  (I am an industry arbitrator - as close to "lawyering" as I care to be - and have been told by more than one that I'd make a stout securities lawyer!  (Ewww))  

ya know...usually your snark can be entertaining, but did you really have to go there with the "mr. Bigshot lawyer" crack? i know you try to CYA at the end, but come on man...don't bash others then do it yourself.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

32 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

ya know...usually your snark can be entertaining, but did you really have to go there with the "mr. Bigshot lawyer" crack? i know you try to CYA at the end, but come on man...don't bash others then do it yourself.

Oh, is THAT it?

Fixed.  Sorry to all.  Bad attempt at lawyer humor.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Loyalty has legs. Perceived value will become more important than ever. 

This is such an excellent post.  Exactly correct.

Which is partially why I brought up the whole notion of one corps' students negotiating for better conditions. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, garfield said:

This is such an excellent post.  Exactly correct.

Which is partially why I brought up the whole notion of one corps' students negotiating for better conditions. 

it's really easy....kids say "we want these guarantees in our contract." don't see them...don't sign.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, garfield said:

Sounds like “Collective bargaining” to me!

Or a strike. See Oregon crusaders