DCI partnering with Varsity Performing Arts to launch "SoundSport Scholastic" events

1 hour ago, garfield said:

Well, I’ve asked many times here and I hope DCI is thinking through one, simple question:

What’s it worth?

for now...revenue maybe.

long term....control

4 hours ago, garfield said:

Maybe...

Less than 1-times-book value?

One years' annual retained revenue?

Wow.  Harsh truth.

look at Varsitys history....they don't suffer competition. they buy competition out. it wasn't that long ago their name was all the buzz about buying what was left of YEA. Heck their own rulebook says if they find out you're at their event and competed at a competitors event, they'll disqualify you. in the link I posed, the owner admitted in court they'll give you higher scores if you use their apparel. 

someone today tried to sell me on it because they think it's great for DCI. they were looking short term, and, IMO, have incentives for it to do well. i'd love to know who actually manufactures Varsity approves spirit wear......especially if they manufacture drum corps costuming

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

for now...revenue maybe.

long term....control

Yes; it's probably akin the old transaction of selling your soul for something, (short-term), in exchange for eternal damnation, (long-term).  :devil:    

The only positive that I could see is maybe they have a platform and/or contacts, to push the product on a national platform such as Disney, ESPN, etc. :babies:

1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

Yes; it's probably akin the old transaction of selling your soul for something, (short-term), in exchange for eternal damnation, (long-term).  :devil:    

The only positive that I could see is maybe they have a platform and/or contacts, to push the product on a national platform such as Disney, ESPN, etc. :babies:

And what, pray tell, could that "something" short term be?  Unless DCI is willing to actually sell the brand to Varsity, then the benefit to DCI would be any up-front payments (based on something) plus national exposure layered on top of marketing to the exact age demo.

I thought of this while (literally) in the shower this morning:  Varsity knows about cheer, and books, and selling outfits but what do they know about MUSIC?

Does Varsity need to know and understand music in order to make a partnership (sale/agreement) a good one?  I'm pretty sure Varsity doesn't want to deal with 40 drum corps in two brackets individually so, SONOFAGUN!, they're dealing with The Brand, DCI itself.

Could Varsity actually be the "Unbiased" decision-maker that could force the member corps to accept something "less" short-term in order to get something "more" long-term?  Would forcing them to have music experience/understanding be diluting any potential benefit from that arms-length management structure?

Edited by garfield

8 minutes ago, garfield said:

And what, pray tell, could that "something" short term be?  Unless DCI is willing to actually sell the brand to Varsity, then the benefit to DCI would be any up-front payments (based on something) plus national exposure layered on top of marketing to the exact age demo.

I thought of this while (literally) in the shower this morning:  Varsity knows about cheer, and books, and selling outfits but what do they know about MUSIC?

Does Varsity need to know and understand music in order to make a partnership (sale/agreement) a good one?  I'm pretty sure Varsity doesn't want to deal with 40 drum corps in two brackets individually so, SONOFAGUN!, they're dealing with The Brand, DCI itself.

Could Varsity actually be the "Unbiased" decision-maker that could force the member corps to accept something "less" short-term in order to get something "more" long-term?  Would forcing them to have music experience/understanding be diluting any potential benefit from that arms-length management structure?

Varsity only cares about one thing, money. And DCI is being a fool. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, inbetween said:

Varsity only cares about one thing, money. And DCI is being a fool. 

Can I just use a play on your words?  (And I appreciate your input, BTW, even if I think you might be at least premature or, at most, just wrong in the opinon):

Word mix:  "Varsity is only concerned about one thing: money.  And their experience might help DCI stop acting like fools with theirs."

Varsity might provide a platform for growth that, even shared with them, would help DCI build for a future of growth instead of one of consolidation.

Sounds crazy.  Might work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, garfield said:

Can I just use a play on your words?  (And I appreciate your input, BTW, even if I think you might be at least premature or, at most, just wrong in the opinon):

Word mix:  "Varsity is only concerned about one thing: money.  And their experience might help DCI stop acting like fools with theirs."

Varsity might provide a platform for growth that, even shared with them, would help DCI build for a future of growth instead of one of consolidation.

Sounds crazy.  Might work.

I guess the majority of the people that have been forced to work with varsity are wrong. You can't possibly have read all the terrible things about them and still think it's a good idea. 

8 minutes ago, inbetween said:

I guess the majority of the people that have been forced to work with varsity are wrong. You can't possibly have read all the terrible things about them and still think it's a good idea. 

Oh, sure one can.  Cheer is dangerous.  Kids do dumb things.  Adults do dumber things.  There's risk in chasing a desire to be great.

Varsity isn't the cause of all evil in the cheer world, and one can't possibly deny the laser-like vision of the founders, and even that of the second buyers!, have made them the force we're, apparently, afraid of today.

I don't have a dog in the fight beyond drum corps, but I don't see Flo offering this kind of exposure to drum corps' participant demo even if Flo might appeal to some who want to watch sports on the same subscription.

• Thanks 1