DCI partnering with Varsity Performing Arts to launch "SoundSport Scholastic" events

7 hours ago, garfield said:

And drum corps score better when they adhere to the competitive rules they themselves create.  I’m not seeing much difference.  They both need kids and fans to pay up.

Varsity makes the rules, not the cheer groups. hence the difference

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Drum Corps AF dropped an episode devoted to this topic. It is worth your investment in time to listen to it.

John held nothing back, and many of us that contribute to the podcast helped research

• Like 1

6 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

You have to be joking.

What Varsity did in some cheerleading contests -- and per that Houston Press article, it appears their founder acknowledged this in court as part of an explanation for why cheerleading shouldn't be considered a sport -- is to award a higher score to teams that bought its products.

Imagine DCI telling corps that their scores would go up if they bought a particular company's uniforms, or played a specific company's instruments, or used a certain company's services for transportation.

yup. hey FJM...sorry we got Stanbury

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

John held nothing back, and many of us that contribute to the podcast helped research

I think that episode of Drum Corps AF is required listening for anyone wanting to know about Varsity and its implications for drum corps.  

Edited by Jurassic Lancer

5 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Oh come on. You're gaslighting us.

Imagine the NFL telling teams in every game that whichever one spent more with Gatorade in the previous week gets an extra touchdown.

Please, stop attacking personally.  If it continues, I will simply report the post.

Your opinion does not trump all others.  I've seen this movie.

Seriously, THIS is what you accuse me of for having a different opinion?  The term is trendy and popular among some projectionists but is mostly misused, as your usage examples.

""Gaslighting" is used to describe abusive behavior, specifically when an abuser manipulates information in such a way as to make a victim question his or her sanity. Gaslighting intentionally makes someone doubt their memories or perception of reality."

Who's commentary above fits that definition and who's does not?

I don't presume your mind is that weak and you shouldn't presume that I'm so nefarious.  I know you know better.

Edited by garfield

11 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

You have to be joking.

What Varsity did in some cheerleading contests -- and per that Houston Press article, it appears their founder acknowledged this in court as part of an explanation for why cheerleading shouldn't be considered a sport -- is to award a higher score to teams that bought its products.

Imagine DCI telling corps that their scores would go up if they bought a particular company's uniforms, or played a specific company's instruments, or used a certain company's services for transportation.

Again, you need to dial back your vitriol.  I'm not joking and I'm not your enemy nor your punching bag.  I don't have to explain to you the format of this platform.

I've read and re-read all of those articles, and I've scanned research sources on the company and its executives not-normally available to the non-paying public.  (For instance, despite being private for much of its life, MANY hedge funds have or have had a finger in Varsity's success and each of them correctly crow about their due-diligence in investing in Varsity's ideas.  They discuss items of importance without revealing insider information and are extremely helpful in understanding the company and its operations.)  I'm willing to spend a few minutes seeing if this podcast comes off as serious discussion.  I'll give the message a chance.

I'm simply not going to out of hand disqualify this deep-pocketed fabulously successful business team simply because some here may have a vested podcast research interest or even a strong opinion.

DCI has been FOR DECADES losing relevance and eating its own to now barely call itself a $50million activity.  Many people both in and out of the activity have been gnashing teeth and speaking in hushed tones about the coming financial demise of the activity and its descent into irrelevance as other competitive performance activities are stealing its spotlight, all while refusing to see their business-nirvana doesn't come with unfettered freedom to continue the profligate spending ways of drum corps' "leading voices" without, somehow, maintaining enough relevance among fans to pay for it.  The activity has always, from day one, been about maximizing the gate to spread the gospel, get kids actively paying for the experience, and draw in adoring (and paying) crowds.  That goal demands as much business acumen as it does creative brilliance and, so far, I've seen only one of those demands being met.

Drum corps, the activity, can learn a TON from the Varsity management team and the proposition that doing so somehow sells out the soul of drum corps is silliness.  And, for so long as they are willing to allow, DCI should ride their coat-tails into scholastic venues with SS/DLB and without sacrificing itself, its mission, or its goals.  It's not an either/or business proposition and anyone who's serious about the discussion will see that enough to allow this discussion to evolve like that relationship could if given the chance.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1