DCI partnering with Varsity Performing Arts to launch "SoundSport Scholastic" events

11 hours ago, garfield said:

It's a difference.  Sure.  Is it a disqualifier?  No.  Lots of differences: Varsity is clearly "For-Profit", for example.

Bain Capital isn't a fan of doing business with non profits

Again, you need to dial back your vitriol.  I'm not joking and I'm not your enemy nor your punching bag.  I don't have to explain to you the format of this platform.

I've read and re-read all of those articles, and I've scanned research sources on the company and its executives not-normally available to the non-paying public.  (For instance, despite being private for much of its life, MANY hedge funds have or have had a finger in Varsity's success and each of them correctly crow about their due-diligence in investing in Varsity's ideas.  They discuss items of importance without revealing insider information and are extremely helpful in understanding the company and its operations.)  I'm willing to spend a few minutes seeing if this podcast comes off as serious discussion.  I'll give the message a chance.

I'm simply not going to out of hand disqualify this deep-pocketed fabulously successful business team simply because some here may have a vested podcast research interest or even a strong opinion.

DCI has been FOR DECADES losing relevance and eating its own to now barely call itself a $50million activity.  Many people both in and out of the activity have been gnashing teeth and speaking in hushed tones about the coming financial demise of the activity and its descent into irrelevance as other competitive performance activities are stealing its spotlight, all while refusing to see their business-nirvana doesn't come with unfettered freedom to continue the profligate spending ways of drum corps' "leading voices" without, somehow, maintaining enough relevance among fans to pay for it.  The activity has always, from day one, been about maximizing the gate to spread the gospel, get kids actively paying for the experience, and draw in adoring (and paying) crowds.  That goal demands as much business acumen as it does creative brilliance and, so far, I've seen only one of those demands being met.

Drum corps, the activity, can learn a TON from the Varsity management team and the proposition that doing so somehow sells out the soul of drum corps is silliness.  And, for so long as they are willing to allow, DCI should ride their coat-tails into scholastic venues with SS/DLB and without sacrificing itself, its mission, or its goals.  It's not an either/or business proposition and anyone who's serious about the discussion will see that enough to allow this discussion to evolve like that relationship could if given the chance.

they can learn yes. Again...Varsity doesn't suffer competition. the buy them out or push them out.

10 hours ago, garfield said:

Mods, question please:  Is it appropriate to discuss commentary from the DrumcorpsAF podcast?  Not cut and paste, just discuss the commentary of the presenter.

DCAF has been discussed here for several years now. In fact there's usually a column discussing DCP. you may or may not have been a target of those columns 😂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, garfield said:

None of which at all will provide a single spark of anything other than more banter around the problem.

What problem?

There are lots of great ideas, TONS of great ideas, that are meaningless until they are put into practice with real commitment and money.  I've got BOOKS of great ideas.  

Lots of people around the activity have lots of good ideas.  The problem is that DCI has no money with which to turn a good one into reality even if they had one.  

Oh, is that the problem?  Never fear.  DCI has operated that way for its entire existence.  It has always been a conduit for funds, rather than a receptacle.

Varsity might be a willing player with deep pockets to listen to great ideas and fund them, but they will do so only with the intention of making a long-term profit.  It's up to the drum corps to show them that great ideas can be profitable to spur, and pay for, other great ideas.

Sorry, but drum corps is not Shark Tank.  That is not what the activity is here for.

But why take my word for it?  You just said so yourself a couple of pages back:

The activity has always, from day one, been about maximizing the gate to spread the gospel, get kids actively paying for the experience, and draw in adoring (and paying) crowds.

1 hour ago, garfield said:

Both of these things can easily be seen as the last actions of a dying dynasty trying to exclude others from the last morsels of sustenance.

This dance has gone on long enough.  Are you willing to drop the third person, and contend that it is your own opinion that pre-covid DCI was already on the brink and only Varsity can save it?

Rationally, are these the things that are done by a healthy, vibrant, and growing activity?

They are the kind of steps DCI has taken over and over whenever growth accidently occurs.

12 hours ago, garfield said:

Mods, question please:  Is it appropriate to discuss commentary from the DrumcorpsAF podcast?  Not cut and paste, just discuss the commentary of the presenter.

Does DrumcorpsAF stand for drumcorps as ####? Whatever has happened to people and society. Next thing you know Drunk Corps International will be sticking it to Drumcorps as ####. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

DCAF has been discussed here for several years now. In fact there's usually a column discussing DCP. you may or may not have been a target of those columns 😂

Well since we are going to openly discuss members that may or may not have been a topic. You may or may not have been a target of some things said on twitter.:lol:

6 minutes ago, E3D said:

Does DrumcorpsAF stand for drumcorps as ####? Whatever has happened to people and society. Next thing you know Drunk Corps International will be sticking it to Drumcorps as ####. 

I’m pretty sure Drunk Corps International has closed up shop.