DCI partnering with Varsity Performing Arts to launch "SoundSport Scholastic" events

Step back and think this through. We’ve always believed Dan Acheson works at the “pleasure of the DCI Board” who pays him. It’s difficult for me to believe the majority of DCI Board Members think this new partnership puts their own decision making in jeopardy. Or, in time, changes the operations of their own local incorporations.

Most likely, each DCI Board Member analyzed the specifics of this cooperation in detail before approving and making a formal announcement through its DCI staff in Indianapolis. The same specifics posters here can only speculate about. DCI does not function under a dictator.

I’ll repeat my own speculation. A smaller paid DCI Staff, with a smaller 2021operating budget means the total basket of DCI Staff responsibilities will require some “outsourcing,” so to speak. 

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

We’ve always believed Dan Acheson works at the “pleasure of the DCI Board” who pays him.

Or maybe they're all controlled by dark shadows, people you've never heard of.

Some people probably think my account here is controlled by a dork shadow.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Step back and think this through. We’ve always believed Dan Acheson works at the “pleasure of the DCI Board” who pays him. It’s difficult for me to believe the majority of DCI Board Members think this new partnership puts their own decision making in jeopardy. Or, in time, changes the operations of their own local incorporations.

Most likely, each DCI Board Member analyzed the specifics of this cooperation in detail before approving and making a formal announcement through its DCI staff in Indianapolis. The same specifics posters here can only speculate about. DCI does not function under a dictator.

I’ll repeat my own speculation. A smaller paid DCI Staff, with a smaller 2021operating budget means the total basket of DCI Staff responsibilities will require some “outsourcing,” so to speak. 

More seriously: individuals and organizations make bad decisions all the time. The road to hell is paved with good intentions, etc.

53 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

43 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Or maybe they're all controlled by dark shadows, people you've never heard of.

Some people probably think my account here is controlled by a dork shadow.

Or maybe the "Varsity Spirit" has entered Dan Acheson's body & is influencing his every decision.  Time to call a Priest?  Or maybe Mr. Hopkins?  :whistle:  :spitting:

Interesting what you can find on the inter-web   Looks like this kid is a cheerleader with strong opinions about the Varsity monopoly.  Also some good links:

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

Or maybe the "Varsity Spirit" has entered Dan Acheson's body & is influencing his every decision.  Time to call a Priest?  Or maybe Mr. Hopkins?  :whistle:  :spitting:

Interesting what you can find on the inter-web   Looks like this kid is a cheerleader with strong opinions about the Varsity monopoly.  Also some good links:

Anyone read the whole complaint?  I have.  Here's the link:  http://courtweb.pamd.uscourts.gov/courtwebsearch/ctxc/KX330R32.pdf

For those of you who are curious about this notion that Varsity awarded points for teams using Varsity gear, it's not quite that way.  A couple of paragraphs out of 93 pages of the actual legal complaint addresses this contention with this language:

Page 31 shows that teams were allowed to use any suppliers "props" (pom-poms, etc) but non-Varsity suppliers were not allowed to sell their wares at Varsity events.

Page 32 shows, and I quote: "During the 'spirit' portion of the competition [evidenced elsewhere in the claim as the one minute period at the beginning of competitions where teams were rewarded for inciting excitement in the crowd] cheerleading teams were awarded for using props, such as pom poms, sold by Varsity Brands; [elsewhere in the claim is evidence that other suppliers sold props and teams were allowed to use those props]; the more props the team uses, the more points that team receives."

There was never any restriction to use only Varsity gear and nothing in the judging rubric (found on the Varsity website itself) that states using Varsity gear awards additional points.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

They want to own the market place, and based on their track record they don’t care who suffers

Evidence please.

I agree that they want to own the market place (doesn't everyone??).  It's your evidence of their "track record" that I'd like to see.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Continental said:

Plan 9 from Indianapolis

Now I just keep picturing Bill Murray doing this. (Bought “Ed Wood” dvd at Goodwill for $3... great buy)