DCI partnering with Varsity Performing Arts to launch "SoundSport Scholastic" events

24 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Yes, sometimes judges are wrong. That's been true for as long as there have been judges. Dred Scott (1857)? Plessy v. Ferguson (1896)? Korematsu (1944)? Nobody would defend any of those rulings nowadays, and they're all more than 75 years old. So let's not pretend this has anything to do with "today's society".

Yep that’s why the appeal process runs so strong as gets exercised a good bit. Gotta google Korematsu but have an idea what I will find... edit: yep...

Well kinda related my jury duty this week lasted 3 hours. Went in with afternoon group (broken up due to CV). Stood in line to go thru metal detector and temp scan. Fill out papers and get instructions from one of the county judges and clerk. Then sit for over 2 hours. Then clerk comes in and says they don’t need all the jurors this week so following jurors (by number) are excused. Guess whose number got called first... 39 years in the county and this is the only time called. Now wait for my $9 and mileage.... And this is criminal trial week too... darn 😫

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Yes, sometimes judges are wrong. That's been true for as long as there have been judges. Dred Scott (1857)? Plessy v. Ferguson (1896)? Korematsu (1944)? Nobody would defend any of those rulings nowadays, and they're all more than 75 years old. So let's not pretend this has anything to do with "today's society".

No one is pretending. Today's society is off the rails. Just look no further than the listening or watch list. 

Edited by E3D
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Yep that’s why the appeal process runs so strong as gets exercised a good bit. Gotta google Korematsu but have an idea what I will find... edit: yep...

Well kinda related my jury duty this week lasted 3 hours. Went in with afternoon group (broken up due to CV). Stood in line to go thru metal detector and temp scan. Fill out papers and get instructions from one of the county judges and clerk. Then sit for over 2 hours. Then clerk comes in and says they don’t need all the jurors this week so following jurors (by number) are excused. Guess whose number got called first... 39 years in the county and this is the only time called. Now wait for my $9 and mileage.... And this is criminal trial week too... darn 😫

Can you get called again?

5 hours ago, lowend said:

For real, though, what's next in the scholastic band market for Varsity?  Buying an instrument company or going the route of System Blue and getting their own line of stencil instruments?

As garfield says, given they have no expertise in this field, then presumably the former if they are hoping to make inroads beyond selling uniforms.

23 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

As garfield says, given they have no expertise in this field, then presumably the former if they are hoping to make inroads beyond selling uniforms.

Thinking a specialty line of musical instruments is probably not realistic.  First, BD tried it and, second, there are a bazillion other things not analog music production related that could be considered.  Surely almost all guard gear, electronics, prop design, manufacturing, leasing, and storage, truck design, kitchen facilities, and YES, even accommodations could all be areas where DCI could make and brand it's own gear.

At least one here believes doing so crosses "the line" and reduces DCI's cred to be not much above professional wrestling (interestingly, another billion dollar activity).  I'm not so sure.

Great experiences for kids costs money.  We're discussing how to provide that money but, thanks Occam, someone somewhere has to pay for it.

Creative demand must be fed, right?  :ph34r:

• Like 1

I wonder, after all of this, is the OP really reflecting the OP's concern for WGI?  Because the most direct competitor to Varsity/SS is WGI.

Defending DCI against Varsity may actually be only a blocking move to protect WGI from Varsity.

After all, DCI isn't scholastic.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I hate to be a pest about this, but we need to be clear that still haven't seen Jeff Webb's actual words on the relationship between props and scoring at Varsity's competitions.

All we have seen are the words of the judge and the attorney for the defendants in the case in which Webb appeared as a witness.

Most people interpret those words as indicating that in at least one event, higher scores were awarded to those groups that used Varsity's pom-poms.

You have offered an alternate and not unreasonable reading of the judge's words. You may yet be shown to be right about that, but at the moment, you do seem to be pretty much alone in that interpretation.

Of course you love being a pest.  :bleah:

"Most" and "alone" are both relative and extreme at the same time.

"Alone", of course, except for the judge.  :tugowar:

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Continental said:

Can you get called again?

Was told not for another 3 years. But it took 39 until I was called the first time.... if they wait that long again I’d be over 100 (yeah right) and should be able to get out of it 😜

Now if I can just get rid of this slight cold I picked up. Hot and dry for weeks and cold, damp and rainy when I had to wait outside and then go into over air conditioned room

22 minutes ago, garfield said:

"Alone", of course, except for the judge.  :tugowar:

Naturally.

Does anyone know if that judge is still available for comment? Maybe we can get him to explain what he meant.

21 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Can you quote from that transcript? I read what I believe is all of Webb's testimony at the trial, and I can't find where he says what the judge and the defendant's attorney say that he said. I am baffled and would really love the help, please.

This seems to be the statement in question. It can be read in all sorts of ways, with the commas and semi-colon.

"Page 32: During the “spirit” portion of the competition, cheerleading teams are awarded points for using props, such as pom poms, sold by Varsity Brands; the more props a team uses, the more points that team receives."

You could read it like this:

"Page 32: During the “spirit” portion of the competition, cheerleading teams are awarded points for using props, such as pom poms, sold by Varsity Brands; the more props a team uses, the more points that team receives."

I tend to look at it that way. the statement in red is the primary statement, with the green showing pom poms as an example of a prop, and yes, Varsity makes them. Does not mean the unit gets points for using Varsity props over other props; it does mean the spirit competition does awards points for props in general.

I guess some here read it this way:

In that reading, the red text shows that props made by Varsity will enhance the score of the unit. The green is just one example of a prop. Personally, I find that interpretation to be silly, but that is just MHO.

• Thanks 1