DCI partnering with Varsity Performing Arts to launch "SoundSport Scholastic" events

3 minutes ago, garfield said:

My security system is connected to a "bark box" that sits just inside the garage and sounds uncannily like a german shepard.  It barks loud when the motion detector trips.  

People have different lives.

I have a smoke detector.  It goes off when I'm too adventurous with the toast.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Continental said:

That's nice that you are supporting that.  I didn't know that colleges had shotgun teams. 

https://www.usashooting.org/membership/youth-programs/youth-shotgun/scholastic-clay-target-program

It's surprisingly popular.  They fly and drive all over the country to compete in skeet, trap, sporting clays ("golf with shotguns") and FITASC.  The non-scholastic version is the NSCA.

It's amazingly like cheer except they shoot from a 5-stand pyramid (instead of making one), there's the $12,000 shotgun, 50 cases of ammo at $60/case twice per year (for practice), $700 shooting glasses, $300 hearing protection, range cases, travel hard cases, vests, hats, and gloves not to mention travel costs.  Oh, and did I mention private shooting lessons (think ScoJo with bigger drum sticks)?  Yes, in FLORIDA, for three days at $270 per hour.

I wonder if Varsity is interested in the scholastic shooting sports, too? 

Edited by garfield

1 minute ago, garfield said:

https://www.usashooting.org/membership/youth-programs/youth-shotgun/scholastic-clay-target-program

It's surprisingly popular.  They fly and drive all over the country to compete in skeet, trap, sporting clays ("golf with shotguns") and FITASC.  The non-scholastic version is the NSCA.

It's amazingly like cheer except they shoot from a 5-stand pyramid (instead of make one), there's the $12,000 shotgun, 50 cases of ammo at $60/case twice per year (for practice), $700 shooting glasses, $300 hearing protection, range cases, travel hard cases, vests, hats, and gloves not to mention travel costs.

I wonder if Varsity is interested in the scholastic shooting sports, too? 

$12,000 shotgun?

9 minutes ago, Continental said:

$12,000 shotgun?

"Why, you didn't think you could wear THOSE shoes to tumble/march in, did you?"  

Noooooo!

https://www.kolararms.com/kolar-shotguns-and-specifications/

SPORTING-Clays-Ramp-Tapered-Legend.jpg

Last year he shot 17,000 rounds in competition and about that many more in practice.  To take the kind of abuse, a "normal" shotgun is like a pair of Keds on the marching field.  His is a "mid-priced" competition shotgun.  I, myself, have shot (don't own, thank God) 100 rounds through a sporting clays shotgun that cost $45,000 new, and grew in value to over $70,000 by the time I shot it when it was 4 years old.

Drum corps, field hockey, travel soccer, travel shooting...  they all take lots and lots of money.  Enter Varsity.

Edited by garfield

21 minutes ago, garfield said:

There are two sounds a burglar won't mess with: a barking (big) dog, and the reload action of a pump shotgun.

My security system is connected to a "bark box" that sits just inside the garage and sounds uncannily like a german shepard.  It barks loud when the motion detector trips.  

I don't think I'll bother trying to record the sound of my Ithaca 37 pump action.

Sister had 85 pound Boxer dog (Huge for a Boxer) who was a little too smart. He wouldn’t bark but would look out the window to see who was at the door. And you could tell by the expressive Boxer face he was thinking “if he comes in... give him a kiss... or rip his arm off”. You didn’t come in until he figured out “give him a kiss”. Kicker was the first floor of the house was a few feet off the ground. We always wondered if middle of the night some burglar looked thru the window and realized someone was looking back. 😳 Because of the floor and ground difference they would have been eyeball to eyeball.... 😈

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I recently received my DCI March On T-Shirt  as a premium for making a donation during the recent DCI fundraiser.  It came from a manufacturer named Pep Wear.  Today, a DCI merchandising email came also showing the name Pep Wear.  The word “pep” is certainly a term found in cheerleading.

Question:  Is Pep Wear a division of Varsity?   If so, then a business relationship with Varsity is already in place. I have no problem at all with that. The T-Shirt is of excellent quality.

Again, I really don’t believe all of DCI will be turned over to Varsity. It would seem WGI would be swallowed-up first, if Varsity’s goal is total domination of Marching Arts.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Continental said:

That's nice that you are supporting that.  I didn't know that colleges had shotgun teams. 

Not just college. Many high schools in 'MERICA have shooting teams...and not just shotgun.  There are also rifle/pistol teams.  

THE Ohio State University may have more national titles in shooting than in football 🙂 

Edited by oldbandguy

47 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

I recently received my DCI March On T-Shirt  as a premium for making a donation during the recent DCI fundraiser.  It came from a manufacturer named Pep Wear.  Today, a DCI merchandising email came also showing the name Pep Wear.  The word “pep” is certainly a term found in cheerleading.

Question:  Is Pep Wear a division of Varsity?   If so, then a business relationship with Varsity is already in place. I have no problem at all with that. The T-Shirt is of excellent quality.

Again, I really don’t believe all of DCI will be turned over to Varsity. It would seem WGI would be swallowed-up first, if Varsity’s goal is total domination of Marching Arts.

I got my T-shirt on Wednesday. 

2 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

No, I don't think they're connected.  But that could change this afternoon.  :whistle:

5 hours ago, Continental said:

As per another post (yes I modified your original post).

Some days I think he works at Target along with JimF. 

Other days I think N.E. Brigand is the General Manager at Target.  

Next thing you know I will run into you on George Street or Signal Hill, while you are vacationing from your job at Tim Horton's or is it Dominion? :lol: