DCI partnering with Varsity Performing Arts to launch "SoundSport Scholastic" events

11 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

there's more states without sanctioning bodies for bands than there are those that do.

I don't know - I'm just not seeing it.  They're just a new competitor in an already fairly crowded marketplace.  And in states where they are the only game in town, then having someone to run contests is a *good* thing.

Mike

2 hours ago, MikeN said:

I don't know - I'm just not seeing it.  They're just a new competitor in an already fairly crowded marketplace.  And in states where they are the only game in town, then having someone to run contests is a *good* thing.

Mike

PA for example has no UIL type organization. In our borders we have TOB, Cavalcade, USBands, PIMBA and LMBA...plus bunches of local festival gigs. Maryland has a small state circuit that isn't run by the state, it's more of a collective....plus TOB and USbands, maybe even some cavalcade. NJ same as MD. 

and again, Varsity doesn't get into something to be A player. They get into something to be THE player.

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

PA for example has no UIL type organization. In our borders we have TOB, Cavalcade, USBands, PIMBA and LMBA...plus bunches of local festival gigs. Maryland has a small state circuit that isn't run by the state, it's more of a collective....plus TOB and USbands, maybe even some cavalcade. NJ same as MD. 

and again, Varsity doesn't get into something to be A player. They get into something to be THE player.

###### if you do.

###### if you don't.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MikeN said:

Mike

NJ also has no official state MB circuit. USBands, TOB and a new called the New Jersey Marching Band Directors Association (NJMBDA), plus a few independent shows are about it. NJMEA has not ever been a huge supporter of marching band. They hosted an unjudged exhibition of selected bands waaaay back in the 70's into the 80's, but that was it.

4 hours ago, MikeD said:

NJ also has no official state MB circuit. USBands, TOB and a new called the New Jersey Marching Band Directors Association (NJMBDA), plus a few independent shows are about it. NJMEA has not ever been a huge supporter of marching band. They hosted an unjudged exhibition of selected bands waaaay back in the 70's into the 80's, but that was it.

PMEA won't fully support any circuit. they're glad to see marching band exists in its many forms, but thats it. PIAA generally stays out of band world unless it's to ##### bout when a band plays during a football game

17 hours ago, MikeD said:

Fair enough - I realize we're in a bit of a different world down in TX - so what's the issue with Varsity partnering with SoundSport to potentially offer contests in NJ for bands to participate in?

I know Varsity's history, and I know how many different school-based pies they've put fingers into.  I'm just saying, however, in the case of marching band I'm not sure this is going to end up like Cheeropoly.

Mike

7 hours ago, MikeN said:

Fair enough - I realize we're in a bit of a different world down in TX - so what's the issue with Varsity partnering with SoundSport to potentially offer contests in NJ for bands to participate in?

I know Varsity's history, and I know how many different school-based pies they've put fingers into.  I'm just saying, however, in the case of marching band I'm not sure this is going to end up like Cheeropoly.

Mike

most circuits can't outspend them. if you can't beat em, bankrupt em

9 hours ago, MikeN said:

Mike

Oh, I have no issue with them doing as they wish. I don't see them taking anything over, myself, at least around here. Can't speak to other areas. NJ has had a variety of circuits over the years, and none of them were ever able to take over as is being mentioned here with Varsity. 

A quick search of Tricia Naldonys twitter account shows more and more Varsity misdeeds coming to light. And that is the company people want to save DCI