DCI partnering with Varsity Performing Arts to launch "SoundSport Scholastic" events

13 hours ago, Continental said:

As per another post (yes I modified your original post).

Some days I think he works at Target along with JimF. 

Other days I think N.E. Brigand is the General Manager at Target.  

I haven't set foot in Target in probably 5 years. Probably 10 now for a Wal mart.

12 hours ago, MikeD said:

Why? Varsity runs competitions. Varsity sells equipment. OK. Since I am not buying the idea that Varsity forces cheering units to purchase their equipment and gives them extra points for doing so, based on what we have seen so far, I fail to see an issue.

Based on what I have seen, I see the exact opposite.

Remember the old trope "if you want to score well you won't use G bugles"? or Jeff Feidler saying the Cavies decided to add amps after voting no because they were competing with one hand tied behind their backs without them?

6 hours ago, E3D said:

St. John's Newfoundland. I meant it as a joke because you was talking about people working at target, did not mean it the way you took it. 

Signal Hill is the location where they received the first distress signal from the titanic. Very interesting place. I worked about 315 kilometres east of there in the Jeanne D'Arc Basin, our down time was spent in and around Newfoundland. Left there on my way back to Merikah and decided to drive the "summer" (temps in the 40's) up through Newfoundland  and into Labrador (muskrat - Churchill falls) then back into Quebec ending at Quebec City. It took 2 weeks and was an adventure. 

There were no marching arts in Newfoundland though, was a bummer. 

I just thought you might know of the place being from Canada. another joke so don't snap - You do all your cloths shopping at Roots or is the new thing Joe Fresh now? :lol:

I was going to say Newfoundland, but the Dominion reference threw me off.  We used to have Dominion stores in Ontario.  Now I see they are currently only found in Newfoundland. 

Newfoundland has some of the nicest people you will ever meet.  The scenery is also very nice.  Our whole east coast is like that. 

18 hours ago, garfield said:

"Why, you didn't think you could wear THOSE shoes to tumble/march in, did you?"  

Noooooo!

https://www.kolararms.com/kolar-shotguns-and-specifications/

SPORTING-Clays-Ramp-Tapered-Legend.jpg

Last year he shot 17,000 rounds in competition and about that many more in practice.  To take the kind of abuse, a "normal" shotgun is like a pair of Keds on the marching field.  His is a "mid-priced" competition shotgun.  I, myself, have shot (don't own, thank God) 100 rounds through a sporting clays shotgun that cost $45,000 new, and grew in value to over $70,000 by the time I shot it when it was 4 years old.

Drum corps, field hockey, travel soccer, travel shooting...  they all take lots and lots of money.  Enter Varsity.

I had no idea.  You learn something new every day. 

18 hours ago, garfield said:

https://www.usashooting.org/membership/youth-programs/youth-shotgun/scholastic-clay-target-program

It's surprisingly popular.  They fly and drive all over the country to compete in skeet, trap, sporting clays ("golf with shotguns") and FITASC.  The non-scholastic version is the NSCA.

It's amazingly like cheer except they shoot from a 5-stand pyramid (instead of making one), there's the $12,000 shotgun, 50 cases of ammo at $60/case twice per year (for practice), $700 shooting glasses, $300 hearing protection, range cases, travel hard cases, vests, hats, and gloves not to mention travel costs.  Oh, and did I mention private shooting lessons (think ScoJo with bigger drum sticks)?  Yes, in FLORIDA, for three days at $270 per hour.

I wonder if Varsity is interested in the scholastic shooting sports, too? 

$270 per hour?

12 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Based on what I have seen, I see the exact opposite.

Remember the old trope "if you want to score well you won't use G bugles"? or Jeff Feidler saying the Cavies decided to add amps after voting no because they were competing with one hand tied behind their backs without them?

Yup. We disagree, for sure.

The old trope, as you say, was mostly because the corps with old G horns, a la Pioneer, had horns held together with tape and hope. Fiedler and amps? Once he heard the improvement in pit sound, he realized they needed them too, is my thought.

Edit: None of the items you mentioned have anything to do with Varsity. That is a false equivalency. 

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Yup. We disagree, for sure.

The old trope, as you say, was mostly because the corps with old G horns, a la Pioneer, had horns held together with tape and hope. Fiedler and amps? Once he heard the improvement in pit sound, he realized they needed them too, is my thought.

I love & miss the timbre of the G bugle, but switching to the Bb horns & adding the color palette of the keyboard instruments was a "no-brainer".  Are the sound systems abused sometimes?  Yes, but it's a matter of taste.  I remember one of the first groups that I heard was Pioneer with what sounded like a cheap Casio keyboard with a small sound system.  

Of course, the quality of that family of equipment started improving & today with some groups, it's a little "over used".  These changes are " matter of taste" & I'm OK with it if it's done well in a "tasteful" manner.  Now, I'm ready for the 2021 season so stay home this weekend or wear your dang mask!    

:dancin:  

P.S.  Adding "ready to attend a Variety event to stay on topic":whistle:         

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

• 2 weeks later...

... just kidding... I read more and learned more.  My original post is irrelevant! woo!

Edited by ranintothedoor

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

Tricia L. Nadolny!  She deserves some kind of journalism award.