DCI partnering with Varsity Performing Arts to launch "SoundSport Scholastic" events


Recommended Posts

On 8/30/2020 at 5:59 AM, garfield said:

Mods, question please:  Is it appropriate to discuss commentary from the DrumcorpsAF podcast?  Not cut and paste, just discuss the commentary of the presenter.

Its really hard to listen to this mini episode and realize its "bias" pure bias. 

Maybe they should stick to doing collaborative research on the best ballads in the past 40 years and or how nobody pays any attention to things like DCA. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So much for DCI becoming a mission-driven organization.

Really? Seems like we are missing the point of the latest Nadolny article. This is not the Hopocalypse of cheer.  Rather, it is a parallel to the post-Hopkins situation where we chafe at the

Plan 9 from Indianapolis  

5 hours ago, E3D said:

Its really hard to listen to this mini episode and realize its "bias" pure bias. 

Maybe they should stick to doing collaborative research on the best ballads in the past 40 years and or how nobody pays any attention to things like DCA. 

This would imply they do "research". My guesstimate would be they get 25-30 percent of their information wrong. 

Z

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, E3D said:

Its really hard to listen to this mini episode and realize its "bias" pure bias. 

Maybe they should stick to doing collaborative research on the best ballads in the past 40 years and or how nobody pays any attention to things like DCA. 

I enjoy the speculative banter.  It's the certitude that's disturbing.

As if our activity has done everything right over 75 years and can't learn from others or even benefit from a partnership with others who have succeeded.  The institutional arrogance sometimes evident from the leaders of some of our corps also seems to pervade the minds of some of its most ardent fans.

Evidence the notion promoted in this, and I'd guess other, podcasts that "...your voice is JUST AS IMPORTANT...!".  Uh, no kiddos it's not. 

A.F.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, garfield said:

I enjoy the speculative banter.  It's the certitude that's disturbing.

As if our activity has done everything right over 75 years and can't learn from others or even benefit from a partnership with others who have succeeded.  The institutional arrogance sometimes evident from the leaders of some of our corps also seems to pervade the minds of some of its most ardent fans.

Evidence the notion promoted in this, and I'd guess other, podcasts that "...your voice is JUST AS IMPORTANT...!".  Uh, no kiddos it's not. 

A.F.

 

Never heard of them until today.  Downloaded their Favorite DCI Color Guard show but......5 minutes was about all I could take.  The "A.F." in their name should have been a clue to me.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/5/2020 at 12:10 AM, Jeff Ream said:

Based on what I have seen, I see the exact opposite.

 

Remember the old trope "if you want to score well you won't use G bugles"? or Jeff Feidler saying the Cavies decided to add amps after voting no because they were competing with one hand tied behind their backs without them?

Presuming that you're, again, referring to the one, single comment about using equipment in the cheer section of the competition, I think you're creating a bogeyman here where none exists.  Those drum corps changes were made by agreement of all participants (sans fans) for performance reasons that had tangential potential financial impacts.  The claim against Varsity is that they profit (being for-profit and all) from a requirement that participants use one provider.

That's not at all like your G-bugle example.

The corollary you've presented would be a cheer team showing up in 1920's bloomers, long-sleeve shirts, hair caps, and leather-soled shoes (G-bugles) to wave pom-poms against spandex, short skirts, bling/glitz/makeup/hairspray and matching "jump shoes" (Bb horns/A&E/150members) and expecting to score competitively.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, garfield said:

I enjoy the speculative banter.  It's the certitude that's disturbing.

As if our activity has done everything right over 75 years and can't learn from others or even benefit from a partnership with others who have succeeded.  The institutional arrogance sometimes evident from the leaders of some of our corps also seems to pervade the minds of some of its most ardent fans.

Evidence the notion promoted in this, and I'd guess other, podcasts that "...your voice is JUST AS IMPORTANT...!".  Uh, no kiddos it's not. 

A.F.

 

Also stated in that mini episode something like "state the facts and let the fan's decide" but then eventually they try to break down what the conflicts are. I can't remember the exact wording and I don't want to listen to childish trash talk. 

Certitude is not only disturbing but it is a huge turn off. But I don't even enjoy the delivery of the speculative banter. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, MikeZ said:

This would imply they do "research". My guesstimate would be they get 25-30 percent of their information wrong. 

Z

I'm not sure on the percentages of the accurate information expressed in the podcast.  Maybe you are going to high on that guesstimate. 

11 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Never heard of them until today.  Downloaded their Favorite DCI Color Guard show but......5 minutes was about all I could take.  The "A.F." in their name should have been a clue to me.  

Yes I mentioned the A.F. before and how it ruins credibility in my opinion and it also lets us know as a clue on where things will be going. 

The only reason I ventured to listen is because it was presented here as a source of information on the topic. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2020 at 8:40 AM, Jeff Ream said:

These "challenges" are suffered from daycare facilities to the active military and nearly everything in between.

Neither drum corps nor Varsity are unique in this regard.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, garfield said:

These "challenges" are suffered from daycare facilities to the active military and nearly everything in between.

Neither drum corps nor Varsity are unique in this regard.

 

Very true - every part of our society is infected by that.

Video streaming services these days serve up shows a lacarte for the perv's. With the interweb it feeds those types of predators. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.