Did DCI just kneecap new corps from forming?

This is related to the SoundSport announcement, but since it deals with one very important aspect of the Varsity Sports announcement that merits discussion without being interspersed with discussions regarding whether cheerleading is/is not a sport, it's getting it's own thread.

The FAQ part of DCI's announcement says this: How does this partnership affect current participant SoundSport® teams?
"This will not affect current summer tour DCI SoundSport events. The reimagined SoundSport® Scholastic events will expand performance opportunities to a wide variety of scholastic teams in addition to pre-existing independent teams. The goal with this partnership is to increase participation across multiple performing arts categories with new scholastic environments in mind." "emphasis mine

The word "current" should send chills up drum corps fans' spines.  How many corps have formed out of SoundSport?  Even if only a few, that's a few that SoundSport fostered and those corps may not have formed had they not dipped their toes in the water with Soundsport.

If someone wants to form a new independent group, the way this is worded, too bad, so sad.  It seems as if one aspect of this side venture (SoundSport) that has aided the drum corps activity directly is being kneecapped, excepting those current groups who may form into a corps.  In my little mind, especially given that some existing corps may not be around next year, DCI should do everything it can to foster growth of new corps, even if those corps perform locally at a few shows for the first few years.

Even if DCI is on life support, if they are going to have a future, they need to find a way to make it feasible for more corps to form. SoundSport, at least as it formerly existed, allowed groups to start small and develop over a few years to the point where they could think about making the jump to an Open Class corps. High Schools may develop corps members, but they are not going to develop more corps.

Edited by wolfgang
  • Sad 1

Two thoughts:

1.  The way I read it, SoundSport Scholastic will not affect SoundSport Summer... however, the way they make it sound as if the whole thing is being "reimagined" does cloud things.  A clarification would be a good idea.

2.  New corps (and a half-dozen existing ones) were already kneecapped 7-10 months ago with the 55-member minimum and a host of new barriers to entry... all of which should have been publicly repealed by now in response to the pandemic.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Two thoughts:

1.  The way I read it, SoundSport Scholastic will not affect SoundSport Summer... however, the way they make it sound as if the whole thing is being "reimagined" does cloud things.  A clarification would be a good idea.

2.  New corps (and a half-dozen existing ones) were already kneecapped 7-10 months ago with the 55-member minimum and a host of new barriers to entry... all of which should have been publicly repealed by now in response to the pandemic.

Right you are regardIng new requirements to enter both Open and World. 

Expanding performance opportunities to both scholastic in addition to pre-existing independent teams is somewhat confusing. Will year round performance opportunities impact WGI Winds? Will SoundSport under Varsity diversify and include scholastic percussion and/or guard? 

• Thanks 1

As someone in the process of starting a SoundSport group, I'm... not sure where we stand now.  To be fair, I haven't had the conversation with them yet either.

Had a conversation with those that know more about it than me.  I'm reassured that a) they're still looking out for DCI/Summer SoundSport and b) the Varsity/SS fall circuit is going to be an interesting alternative to traditional marching competitions, especially for those literally thousands of HS's that don't attend BOA/USSBA/State/etc.

Mike

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MikeN said:

Had a conversation with those that know more about it than me.  I'm reassured that a) they're still looking out for DCI/Summer SoundSport 

Mike

To avoid any ambiguity, simple yes or no answer please:

Will newly formed Independent Soundsport groups be allowed to compete?