The 2003 Thread

On 9/7/2020 at 1:10 PM, DFA1970 said:

It wasn't like BD won by a squeaker like 1 or 2 tenths. More like a point and a half. There is a difference who you liked and should have won.

<shrug> I liked Cavies more than BD (post-opener) - *and* I think Cavaliers should have won.  Those don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Mike

6 hours ago, ftwdrummer said:

Look at Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark and tell me heroes don't make irresponsible financial decisions all the time. /nerdcorner

Lol. Fictional characters can do whatever they choose to do with their own fictional fortunes. That’s part of the fun. Poor Peter Parker, he’s a pauper. 

7 hours ago, MikeN said:

<shrug> I liked Cavies more than BD (post-opener) - *and* I think Cavaliers should have won.  Those don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Mike

I was just stating factual events. Quarters..BD wins by almost a point. Semis..i think 1.2 points...finals..around 1.6 points. The "should have one" just flew out the door.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

I was just stating factual events. Quarters..BD wins by almost a point. Semis..i think 1.2 points...finals..around 1.6 points. The "should have one" just flew out the door.

Um... that's not really how this works.  See, me saying "I *think* Cavaliers should have won" means, to me, the judges got it wrong.  Margin in that case doesn't matter.

I've got no issue if you think BD was the best - clearly the judges did too, and it's a hell of a show.  As I said before, I think the opener belongs on the Mount Rushmore of DCI openers.  However, I still think it was the wrong call to have them in first.  I think Cavaliers had a better overall program and executed at a top level as well.

I'm not quite sure why this particular argument has become a thing?  I'm happy to agree to disagree.

Mike

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeN said:

Um... that's not really how this works.  See, me saying "I *think* Cavaliers should have won" means, to me, the judges got it wrong.  Margin in that case doesn't matter.

I've got no issue if you think BD was the best - clearly the judges did too, and it's a hell of a show.  As I said before, I think the opener belongs on the Mount Rushmore of DCI openers.  However, I still think it was the wrong call to have them in first.  I think Cavaliers had a better overall program and executed at a top level as well.

I'm not quite sure why this particular argument has become a thing?  I'm happy to agree to disagree.

Mike

Thanks for agreeing with me 🙂

On 9/9/2020 at 9:51 PM, DFA1970 said:

So scores are supposed to dictate ones opinion? Weird. When I marched Madison in 1997-1999, our scores didn't reflect what audiences always thought should happen, and for years prior, and the audience voiced their opposition to the scores with boos. I guess they were wrong in having their feelings on the show/placements, and should have understood that the numbers being handed out dictated human thought and emotion. 

• Like 1