What would you rather hear?

WoofInTheWoods

130 members have voted

1. 1. What would you rather hear?

• High volume hornline
    • High quality hornline

I know we all love to hear a hornline that plays loud AND good but if you had to choose between one or the other what would it be?  Bleeding ears or no bleeding ears?   To me nothing sucks worse than a big hornline that doesn't play well and they do it as loud as they can.

Loud does not = good!  ]:-)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As one who, back before the days of reserved seats,  would always try to get front row 50 just to get the full impact of loud hornlines, I would say that I like loud alot--but also good.

There have been plenty of hornlines that were just loud without any quality at all.  But corps like Madison, Spirit and others made up for that.

These days though, as hornlines hold back some because of the pit, the loud mainly happens exclusively in the alumni corps.  Some of them are quite good, others you can tell that they have problems with intonation and endurance.

So, given the choice....quality is a good thing but loud and quality are even better!

Relative volume changes are what I think make the difference. The absolute loudness is far less important to me than the use of the full dynamic range based on the size of the horn line and what will produce the best quality sound, with excellent timbre,  intonation, and balance.

I guess I'm a "quality first" person.     (:-D

Mike

a high-quality, in tune hornline sounds louder than should be proportional to their numbers.  quality rules for me!

I strongly disagree with the premise that you can have LOUD or QUALITY, but not both. The two are very much related.

Any horn line can play loud. And most horn lines can play with good tone quality and intonation. What makes a truly great horn line is one that can play with good quality and intonation at any volume. The results will be far more impressive, enjoyable and yes, louder.

I have a feeling this thread is a result of the efforts of the Renegegades PR machine. Yes, we like to say 'Loud is Good'. But don't think for an instance that we're forgetting about good horn playing. Our horn staff has many, many DCI championships under their belt and demand the upmost attention to proper technique at all times.

If the phrase Loud is Good really bugs you, think of it as a stepping stone to Good intonation, beautiful tone and full sound is great.  :D

See you on the 50.

- Greg

PS: I will say that volume is one of the most unique aspects of drum and bugle corps compared to other musical venues. To ignore this obvious difference when marketing drum corps to the masses would be a mistake, IMO.

I strongly disagree with the premise that you can have LOUD or QUALITY, but not both. The two are very much related.

Any horn line can play loud. And most horn lines can play with good tone quality and intonation. What makes a truly great horn line is one that can play with good quality and intonation at any volume. The results will be far more impressive, enjoyable and yes, louder.

I have a feeling this thread is a result of the efforts of the Renegegades PR machine. Yes, we like to say 'Loud is Good'. But don't think for an instance that we're forgetting about good horn playing. Our horn staff has many, many DCI championships under their belt and demand the upmost attention to proper technique at all times.

If the phrase Loud is Good really bugs you, think of it as a stepping stone to Good intonation, beautiful tone and full sound is great.  :D

See you on the 50.

- Greg

PS: I will say that volume is one of the most unique aspects of drum and bugle corps compared to other musical venues. To ignore this obvious difference when marketing drum corps to the masses would be a mistake, IMO.

Ding, ding, ding!!!!!!!  Greg wins!   I agree wholeheartedly.

-Terri

In a drum corps, you have to have the loud. A brass quintet can give you great quality of sound, but it won't move you musicaly if you can't hear it.

Yes, some of the greatest musical moments are soft and you have to strain to hear them, however, drum coprs is ment to rock your world.

The greatest sounds will come from those corps who can use intonation, ballance, and volume to push you over the edge.

Dynamic contrast is just a "trick" to help make the louds louder. I love them! The reason we play soft, is to give you the louds, and it's not really playing loud if you can't get soft. :sly: Ummm...Chris...we might have a problem here ;)^

Hey Wolfy,

"Loud Is Good", our little catch phrase, I think is more about our exuberant attitude and getting people pumped up for a good time. Aw heck, who am I kidding. We believe it is possible to induce labor while playing in tune and in the context of the chart we are performing. I sure hope you are able to check us out this summer. We are a Drum and Bugle Corps. N.A.N.

Loud with Good Quality WILL be Louder than Loud without Good Quality. So, assuming the quality is there:

Loud is Good.

Louder is GREAT!

Lodi, not so much...just kidding.

Sure the contrast between loud/soft is impressive but this can be accomplished in many musical situations.

I must agree w/Greg: It's the loudness that separates drum corps-(one of the last things-but one of the things, nonetheless). :yikes: