1985 Cadets - Profanation from Jeremiah Symphony

1985 was my first introduction to drum corps via the PBS broadcast.  Needless to say, I was hooked ever since.  What a great introduction I had that year, including Cadets playing Profanation from the Jeremiah Symphony.

Does anyone know (and without me digging out the video and watching closely) if Cadets really abided by all that mixed meter while marching?  If so, how in the world did they do that?  There doesn’t even seem to be any regular pattern to the meter changes to rely on while trying to execute it.

I remember having a conversation with someone about it at the time, and we couldn’t decide if they were actually just marching the whole piece as eighth notes where the mixed meter turned into syncopation or something.  If that’s the route they went, then the measures following the 7/8 and 5/8 measures would start on an upbeat, though.

Would love to get some insight into how they made that work.

Edited by Quad Aces

I believe this is the year they started stepping off with the right foot because of the mixed meter. It was a way to break old habits and trick the brain. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm completely wrong, though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, va9590jm said:

I believe this is the year they started stepping off with the right foot because of the mixed meter. It was a way to break old habits and trick the brain. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm completely wrong, though.

That’s what I thought, but wasn’t sure.

4 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

That’s what I thought, but wasn’t sure.

Per Marc Sylvester on one of the Cadets webinars from earlier this year, it was this year, and they did it...mostly because they could. Though the story at the time was that Zingali instituted it because ballet starts with the right foot.

Sacktig has a good story on the same webinar about how Delucia teed him up to talk about this on one of the broadcasts and he gave that answer, and then during the show Delucia told him that he got it wrong and it was the ballet thing, to which Sacktig retorted something along the lines of "no, that's just what we told everyone."

• Like 1