Has DCI......

or the usual show sponsors Contacted school districts to see if they will open up schools next summer for rehearsals/sleeping? I think that they should find out before the season "starts."

4 minutes ago, KeithHall said:

or the usual show sponsors Contacted school districts to see if they will open up schools next summer for rehearsals/sleeping? I think that they should find out before the season "starts."

I’d say too early for schools to even think about it... still working on some schools moving fall sports to spring and what those changes mean

• Like 1

I suspect there are way too many moving parts at this stage.

We don't even have the slightest clue what kind of tour DCI is working on (I will say that DCI does a good job holding their cards close to their chest - no one leaking information)

But as some of the decisions will be local, it's probably a good idea for potential local sponsors to be in touch with their local powers-that-be.

No way they could commit at this time.  We usually house a top 12 corps every summer but there's no way our administration could commit at this time.  
Our school as every other school system is just day to day.  🤧😷 

Our school system's status:  we're currently meeting in person following every CDC protocol with some success.  Still sending some students home with quarantine procedures as well.  We're going strictly virtual the entire week of Labor Day as a "preemptive strike" to try & stay open longer into the fall.

With that said, I think it's only a matter of time before we have to shut down & transition to 100% virtual.  😭

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

17 hours ago, KeithHall said:

No one knows what it is going to be like next May 

But will the school districts just say NO no matter what happens with this? The FEAR has been set in to our society now. I am 99% sure our districts would say NO to next year and probably beyond that.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, KeithHall said:

But will the school districts just say NO no matter what happens with this? The FEAR has been set in to our society now. I am 99% sure our districts would say NO to next year and probably beyond that.

No, the FEAR has been pounded in to our society.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, KeithHall said:

Just another nail in the coffin IMO. Along with liability, leaders of some corps acting illegally, etc etc. Been getting harder for some time now from what I’ve read here.

If I were to summarize the few conversations I have had with a few people, DCI is, in my words, encouraging about next year but also cautious and non-committal. It will most likely be a shortened season as some of us heard, but a shortened season is better than no season. 

Regarding show venues, by this time next year most venues would have held events and if social distancing is still required, it will be all mapped out. I don’t think booking a stadium will be the problem. The problem could be whether a show will be profitable if a stadium only allows a certain percentage of its seats to be used. In many areas that take Covid seriously, the formula is no more than 40% capacity, not taking into account social distancing which knocks it down to about 25% capacity. If this guideline is still in place, will it be worthwhile to host a show?

Schools are still determining in person, remote, and hybrid learning for this year, so next year is not on the radar screens. Though more costly, college dorms could be a solution. Living near many colleges, I have heard that some are hoping to be able to rent space again next summer to make up for lost revenue this past year and a few are potentially looking at offering hotel like accommodations for tourists. That being said, I know of one college near me that would not allow a mixed group of 16-21 year olds. When sports camps are offered, participants are either 17 or younger, 18 or older. International groups that are housed have dorms for minors only. 

• Thanks 3