Has DCI......

If anyone has gone to see Cadets and Crossmen at Gettysburg College in the past, just read that the entire 2600 student campus is on lockdown from Covid. Allowed out for bathroom and eating with online classes. 
On topic as Cadets also used Gettysburg College as a camp site.

Having problems with the link but was Washington Post which didn’t have much detail.

edit: more local PennLive has a bit more detail. Seeing few dozen cases and possibly they are clustered around certain groups (no examples given). So school in lock down until they can determine which (if any) groups are spreading and deal with it accordingly. IOW and IMO taking a proactive approach. 

edit: college has not tested everyone but so far 33 positive cases so in two weeks found over 1% of student population has CV. One cluster seems to be a high class hotel on the square. (Either some rooms set aside for students or mommy and daddy really spending the $$$$$.)  info found via link within the link...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Yes DCI can schedule their season but what will the venue rules be? If Drums Along the Waterfront in Buffalo are told the can only sell 2,000 seats, can they even pay to use the stadium? Where do corps practice if school districts decide to not allow outside usage of their facilities? Then where do corps rehearse? I want to think positive too but i think the schools will have to spray down schools before and after and how much will that cost?

6 hours ago, Tim K said:

If I were to summarize the few conversations I have had with a few people, DCI is, in my words, encouraging about next year but also cautious and non-committal. It will most likely be a shortened season as some of us heard, but a shortened season is better than no season. 

I've heard similar, and that there are multiple options in the mix depending on circumstances at the time.  Corps are definitely going to have to be nimble in operations this year leading up to the season, as circumstances become clearer.

Mike

17 hours ago, George Dixon said:

No one knows what it is going to be like next May 

No one knows what it'll be like in 2 months for camps...or 3 months, 4 months, 5 months...

16 hours ago, dans said:

No, the FEAR has been pounded in to our society.

actually the fear of liability

14 hours ago, Tim K said:

If I were to summarize the few conversations I have had with a few people, DCI is, in my words, encouraging about next year but also cautious and non-committal. It will most likely be a shortened season as some of us heard, but a shortened season is better than no season. 

Regarding show venues, by this time next year most venues would have held events and if social distancing is still required, it will be all mapped out. I don’t think booking a stadium will be the problem. The problem could be whether a show will be profitable if a stadium only allows a certain percentage of its seats to be used. In many areas that take Covid seriously, the formula is no more than 40% capacity, not taking into account social distancing which knocks it down to about 25% capacity. If this guideline is still in place, will it be worthwhile to host a show?

Schools are still determining in person, remote, and hybrid learning for this year, so next year is not on the radar screens. Though more costly, college dorms could be a solution. Living near many colleges, I have heard that some are hoping to be able to rent space again next summer to make up for lost revenue this past year and a few are potentially looking at offering hotel like accommodations for tourists. That being said, I know of one college near me that would not allow a mixed group of 16-21 year olds. When sports camps are offered, participants are either 17 or younger, 18 or older. International groups that are housed have dorms for minors only. 

one college down the road just sent 80% of it's students home to remote learn due to a large % of the students testing positive.

11 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

one college down the road just sent 80% of it's students home to remote learn due to a large % of the students testing positive.

64 cases in 8 days... out of student population of only 2600.... and I don’t see that all students were tested either....

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

No one knows what it'll be like in 2 months for camps...or 3 months, 4 months, 5 months...

I think it’s pretty safe to say camps will be virtual. As we’ve said, schools will  most likely not be available for the school year, even if there is a vaccine and a treatment protocol. If there are camps, some colleges are in a “bubble” pretty much meaning you cannot leave campus and or have visitors. How the bubbles are enforced is another question, but it is possible some marchers may not be able to attend. Then there are states that have mandatory quarantine requirements which would effectively not allow kids to participate at a camp unless they have been in state for 14 days and in some states if you fly, even if you have had a negative result within 72 hours, you still have to quarantine. This could be why there could be a shorter competitive season. Without camps, corps will need more time to prepare. 

Just now, Phantom56 said:

Time for corps to downsize to a basic staff--continue fundraising/social media updates--and start planning for a 2022 season. 

Especially caption manager/caption head/caption designer. Some places have ridiculous amounts of staff.