Has DCI......

14 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

even if a vaccine is due soon, who gets it first? Will there be enough for all? Are the distribution channels set up? What will or won't insurance or the government cover?

Status quo for addressing the underlined concerns is to wait for full FDA approval.  Businesses do not want to manufacture vaccines or related materials under the risk of them not being approved.  It would take several months for a vaccine maker to get production ramped up, and we would be waiting about a year all told before the vaccine would be available in adequate quantity and widely distributed.

Fortunately, our federal government leadership decided not to settle for the status quo.  They developed a plan called "Operation Warp Speed".  Its primary components address the two issues I underlined above.  Leading vaccine candidates are being manufactured right now, in parallel with their phase 3 clinical trials, so that there will already be many millions of doses available by the time they are approved.  Related materials and distribution channels are also being created in advance, so that we can eliminate as much of that wait time as possible.

"Operation Warp Speed" has also facilitated the clinical trial process by providing organizational and financial assistance in getting trials set up and started.  Of course, there is no way to rush the results... but once they come, we will be much better prepared to act on them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

...i'll believe it when I see it.

my insurance (one of the better ones) would not pay room and board for stay at a nursing home for rehab and recovery. If the patient had been sent to a rehab center for the same purpose, room and board would have been covered. Difference... if the patient could do 2-3 hours a day therapy then go to rehab, if not then go to nursing home and rest up and get lot less therapy. 

After that fiasco (fia$$$$co) I’ll believe anything....

20 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Status quo for addressing the underlined concerns is to wait for full FDA approval.  Businesses do not want to manufacture vaccines or related materials under the risk of them not being approved.  It would take several months for a vaccine maker to get production ramped up, and we would be waiting about a year all told before the vaccine would be available in adequate quantity and widely distributed.

Fortunately, our federal government leadership decided not to settle for the status quo.  They developed a plan called "Operation Warp Speed".  Its primary components address the two issues I underlined above.  Leading vaccine candidates are being manufactured right now, in parallel with their phase 3 clinical trials, so that there will already be many millions of doses available by the time they are approved.  Related materials and distribution channels are also being created in advance, so that we can eliminate as much of that wait time as possible.

"Operation Warp Speed" has also facilitated the clinical trial process by providing organizational and financial assistance in getting trials set up and started.  Of course, there is no way to rush the results... but once they come, we will be much better prepared to act on them.

I posted in the other closed thread:  I was watching J&J interview back in late FEBRUARY that revealed their goal to declare "success" is both development of an affected class efficacy of 60% and global distribution for 300million doses.  J&J announced last week that they're adding several countries to its stable of test subjects.

And J&J's vaccine is a one-shot while the other major contenders currently require two shots.

But monkeys and hamsters world-wide are celebrating the J&J news from last week that their drug did not produce negative symptoms in, well, hamsters.

October could bring a surprise.

Edited by garfield
added the "surprise" link

51 minutes ago, garfield said:

But monkeys and hamsters world-wide are celebrating the J&J news from last week that their drug did not produce negative symptoms in, well, hamsters.

October could bring a surprise.

This hamster is still wondering why he was made to go down a flight of stairs in his ball during one such test. 

CANS-Hamster-Ball-91226846.jpg

AstraZeneca (UK), with the University of Oxford, just put their vaccine trial on hold due to a suspected serious adverse reaction.  The trial
is currently in the third stage.  Not uncommon to put a trial on hold but a little 
concerning.  Hopefully the reaction is not related to the vaccine.     

https://www.statnews.com/2020/09/08/astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine-study-put-on-hold-due-to-suspected-adverse-reaction-in-participant-in-the-u-k/ 

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

8 hours ago, Continental said:

This hamster is still wondering why he was made to go down a flight of stairs in his ball during one such test. 

CANS-Hamster-Ball-91226846.jpg

Pardon me for asking an off-topic question, but wasn’t there a Corps that once used sort-of a large ‘hamster ball’ (or balls) as a prop?

Not sure about a hamster ball outright.  Madison's Time show with the Kenton numbers had a huge hamster wheel though

2 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

Are you thinking of Star’s infamous hamster wheels from 1986 that were ditched after a couple shows?

Maybe - I just seem to recall a photo. Re Star that was the ‘space’ show, correct? 

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
  • Like 1