Has DCI......

2 hours ago, E3D said:

And according to Fauci pauses in testing is not unheard of. (In my words) Every now and then there is a “wait a minute” result that needs further research. Glad they figured it out and now going forward 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ranintothedoor said:

Well... there's always churches with property... a thought.  🙂

And it's a good one.  Several churches in So Cal have schools with large fields and gymnasiums.  They're mostly vacant in the summer and could accommodate a Drum Corps.  Good chance they have less litigious concerns than a state-run school.  

We used to stay and practice at a naval base.  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

And it's a good one.  Several churches in So Cal have schools with large fields and gymnasiums.  They're mostly vacant in the summer and could accommodate a Drum Corps.  Good chance they have less litigious concerns than a state-run school.  

Not a chance, For decades already churches got on the expensive band wagon of making alot of money for use of their facilities .  ALL places, even if available will be extra cautious now for many many reasons. AS far as places empty. I know dozens of groups in not only public facilities but private that have said it's easier to leave it empty. Crazy I know But true. Personally I offered a community center 20 grand for a winter guard rehearsal 3 hours on a Friday, 8 on a Sat. ( Not on show days ) and about 5 hours on Sunday from late Sept to late March. many No Thank You. Not so easy like it was back in the Day

Always worth a shot though

Edited by GUARDLING

8 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Was on a Lutheran church council at my old church when Catholic abuse scandal hit. Really woke up the church’s to the need to check people (including church members) working around kids. Also woke many of them up to the need to protect themselves against liability lawsuits. Still remember the argument about why we should put up no trespassing signs on our parking lot. Reason was kids skateboarding there and if they got hurt we could get sued. (The potholes didn’t help.) I think liability concerns with an unknown group like a corps would kill lot of chances. Any outside groups using our current church property have a history of being there and/or have all the legalities set.

And military bases.... since 9/11 kiss that goodbye.... trying to remember if Mechanicsburg had anything since and don’t think so. Sorry Special Olympics 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ironlips said:

Quite true. Once upon a time, corps often stayed and practiced at church-connected facilities. Some of those folks thought of it as charitable community work.

There are also National Guard armories that can accommodate large numbers easily, and regularly serve as shelters. A connection to the state governor would be the ticket for access. These facilities are usually vacant for a few weeks in summer when the troops are away at training.

I remember staying in a National Guard armory once - stenciled on the wall above the urinals was "In it.  Not at it"

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Was on a Lutheran church council at my old church when Catholic abuse scandal hit. Really woke up the church’s to the need to check people (including church members) working around kids. Also woke many of them up to the need to protect themselves against liability lawsuits. Still remember the argument about why we should put up no trespassing signs on our parking lot. Reason was kids skateboarding there and if they got hurt we could get sued. (The potholes didn’t help.) I think liability concerns with an unknown group like a corps would kill lot of chances. Any outside groups using our current church property have a history of being there and/or have all the legalities set.

And military bases.... since 9/11 kiss that goodbye.... trying to remember if Mechanicsburg had anything since and don’t think so. Sorry Special Olympics 

Way different world than back in the day when you just asked for whatever reason and got it. Often with support, and cheap..lol..or donation

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I remember staying in a National Guard armory once - stenciled on the wall above the urinals was "In it.  Not at it"

Had weekend camps at Indiantown Gap Military Reservation. We had 3 cabins and usually guard units at other sites. Nothing like running thru the music before lights out and having reservists wandering over with a wtf look on their face. And then they saw we had females and 😳 (it was the late 70s)

15 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Not a chance, For decades already churches got on the expensive band wagon of making alot of money for use of their facilities .  ALL places, even if available will be extra cautious now for many many reasons. AS far as places empty. I know dozens of groups in not only public facilities but private that have said it's easier to leave it empty. Crazy I know But true. Personally I offered a community center 20 grand for a winter guard rehearsal 3 hours on a Friday, 8 on a Sat. ( Not on show days ) and about 5 hours on Sunday from late Sept to late March. many No Thank You. Not so easy like it was back in the Day

Hmmmm.  Interesting.  We should have taken William Shakespeare's advice on attorneys a long time ago.  

• Haha 1

Regarding the rental of church properties, most churches are insured to the hilt. You never know what will trigger a lawsuit. The most common is a person falling on the property. Second would be injuries of young people due to lack of supervision. The person falling is usually covered by the church’s liability coverage even if the facility is being rented short term. The supervision liability depends on who is in charge. For a group that either is renting or borrowing a facility, it is their insurance that covers it. Usually this is part of the lease. If the group does not have insurance, the church can usually get additional coverage and the group pays.

Churches do rent to various groups, and in many areas Catholic high schools have been great locations for a number of reasons, However, that does not mean they are readily available. You have to be careful as to how much money is collected for rent. Rentals should be nonprofits only. In many Catholic dioceses there is the expectation that the funds will go directly to the mission of the school. Usually it is budgeted for tuition relief or deferred maintenance. If the property is rented to for profits or too much of an income is earned, you are liable to pay taxes. I know of a case where a parish leases a closed school for medical offices. Because of the money generated and the for profit status of the tenants, they pay property tax which is only fair. It’s not just a simple accounting trick on paper. You need to show the money is collected and spent.

• Thanks 2