Has DCI......

2 hours ago, skevinp said:

Interesting logic.  Was Thomas Harris advising us to eat other people when he wrote Silence of the Lambs?

IDK.  Never read the book, nor saw the movie.  PM me your Netflix password.  I’ll watch and get back to you.  🙄

On 9/7/2020 at 3:52 PM, Jeff Ream said:

even if a vaccine is due soon, who gets it first? Will there be enough for all? Are the distribution channels set up? What will or won't insurance or the government cover?

Just as reminder, the vaccine trials so far has not included anyone over 65 years of age or any chidren..only adults. This could cause a delay in certain re=opening settings. Vaccine will have to be out for awhile before we return/achieve a new normal wahtever that will look like. It is hard to see a 2021 DCI season in the way that we are used to experiencing. Insurance will cover as an FYI, and it will not be expensive. Yes there will be enough and distribution channels will be through typical wholesalers for doc office locations ( like McKesson) or large pharmacies for pharmacy locations. True efficacy is very hard to predict,as the virus has mutated more than ounce during ongoing genomic sequencing studies. As far as I can tell, the virus has become more infectious, but NOT more deadly.

10 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Was on a Lutheran church council at my old church when Catholic abuse scandal hit. Really woke up the church’s to the need to check people (including church members) working around kids. Also woke many of them up to the need to protect themselves against liability lawsuits. Still remember the argument about why we should put up no trespassing signs on our parking lot. Reason was kids skateboarding there and if they got hurt we could get sued. (The potholes didn’t help.) I think liability concerns with an unknown group like a corps would kill lot of chances. Any outside groups using our current church property have a history of being there and/or have all the legalities set.

And military bases.... since 9/11 kiss that goodbye.... trying to remember if Mechanicsburg had anything since and don’t think so. Sorry Special Olympics 

i used to help with the Special Olympics on the base.....it did go a few years after 9/11, but it got incredibly hard. Heck just going to a wedding reception at the Carlisle War College in 2007 had my car scanned 3 times from turning onto the property to getting to the officers club.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i used to help with the Special Olympics on the base.....it did go a few years after 9/11, but it got incredibly hard. Heck just going to a wedding reception at the Carlisle War College in 2007 had my car scanned 3 times from turning onto the property to getting to the officers club.

Thanks years do blend together.... 

Had our wedding record at Mechanicsburgs base. Tore down the building a few years ago 😳

Edited by JimF-LowBari

You know, all this talk about liability at housing sites makes me wonder about the future of DCI... and wondering if perhaps DCI might do something with less "touring" and more bang for the buck.  Maybe 30 minute shows, hit 4 or 5 major sites (rather than 30) with only 2 to 3 corps (rather than 7-8) at each show, and the telecast on "Flomarching" is a voting/scoring amalgam for Finals (like the Masked Singer??) so more emphasis is put on the production value (give them an actual intermission between shows for set-up time so stages, multiple floors, etc.).    Like an outdoor version of Blast but with a huge stage and 150 performers.  

I don't know... something to give the live audiences some meat to sink their teeth into, justify the long summer of rehearsal for the "drum corps" experience, and reduce the hubbub of constantly fighting for floor time every night or two.   

I also know this would limit smaller ensembles, and I'd hate for this to become a G7-esque solution.  Maybe this is the dividing line between world and open class? Dunno, man.  Just trying to think around the housing problem.  

Oh! Shoot, you could have each ensemble do a live production "at home" after a month or two of rehearsals! And anyone who wanted to watch them could come and see as the "live audience" and then every corps could submit their videos for tabulation.  And have a vote/score to determine the "winner."  That way there's no tour.  (again, sucks for everyone who wants to see them live, I know I know...).  

I guess I'm really going toward a televised thing with no travel to provide the performers that high level experience... I really enjoyed watching "Hamilton" on Disney +, so I do think there'd be a kind of market for all this.  

Again, just spitballing to avoid the housing issues.