Has DCI......

On 9/12/2020 at 2:17 PM, Tim K said:

Regarding the rental of church properties, most churches are insured to the hilt. You never know what will trigger a lawsuit. The most common is a person falling on the property. Second would be injuries of young people due to lack of supervision. The person falling is usually covered by the church’s liability coverage even if the facility is being rented short term. The supervision liability depends on who is in charge. For a group that either is renting or borrowing a facility, it is their insurance that covers it. Usually this is part of the lease. If the group does not have insurance, the church can usually get additional coverage and the group pays.

Churches do rent to various groups, and in many areas Catholic high schools have been great locations for a number of reasons, However, that does not mean they are readily available. You have to be careful as to how much money is collected for rent. Rentals should be nonprofits only. In many Catholic dioceses there is the expectation that the funds will go directly to the mission of the school. Usually it is budgeted for tuition relief or deferred maintenance. If the property is rented to for profits or too much of an income is earned, you are liable to pay taxes. I know of a case where a parish leases a closed school for medical offices. Because of the money generated and the for profit status of the tenants, they pay property tax which is only fair. It’s not just a simple accounting trick on paper. You need to show the money is collected and spent.

I have been assisting DCI for the past 8 years helping to secure housing for the Allentown show.  I can tell you from experience that permission to use any facilities belonging to the Diocese of Allentown is a NO

11 hours ago, M Ryan said:

I have been assisting DCI for the past 8 years helping to secure housing for the Allentown show.  I can tell you from experience that permission to use any facilities belonging to the Diocese of Allentown is a NO

i'd imagine any diocese is tricky these days

3 hours ago, KeithHall said:

Lee Rudniki has a plan for DCI/DCA! I like it!

What is the plan?

it resurfaced on Facebook yesterday something from back in May. regional touring, merge everything together, costs, etc etc

• Like 2

yep

I think it makes sense! More so today than ever before. Some may not want "regionalization" BUT it makes sense in growing the activity, and corps to save money

5 minutes ago, KeithHall said:

yep

I think it makes sense! More so today than ever before. Some may not want "regionalization" BUT it makes sense in growing the activitIy, and corps to save money

I'll ask this as I have before, regional, especially today is not a bad idea BUT if corps could draw within their own regions would corps have had to scan the entire country just to get members. Where are these kids coming from, what local groups will go back to the old days and support the activity. Merely saying go back will never work IMO. There has to be some real creativity in so many areas to even slightly consider this.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KeithHall said:

yep

I think it makes sense! More so today than ever before. Some may not want "regionalization" BUT it makes sense in growing the activity, and corps to save money

I don't really see how that could work in this era. If the term "regional" really means "local", so that housing is not an issue...then potential members in vast areas of the country would have zero access to march DCI, and there would be few competitions for those that will exist. The infrastructure of 1971 is just not there for 2021.

If "regional" is truly regional, where members still come from distances that require housing, and transportation is still a requirement, then all of the needs remain, plus still fewer performance opportunities within the region. How many regions would the country be broken into? 

Would many potential members want to "march local", if they already get that with their marching bands in the fall?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1