Has DCI......

3 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

May be referring to his comments on DCI from several years ago?  🤔 🤧 😷    

🤔🥵😓🤮

You still sick? Thoughts and prayers. 

One of the advantages of being at prelims from early in the day is meeting and talking with the young people who march Open Class. In random conversations, I have talked to kids who march for a variety of reasons. Some are college students who love drum corps, can’t commit to WC scheduling, but want a good experience of drum corps. For others it is clearly a steppingstone to WC. Some are high school students who see IC as the musical equivalent of AAU. Some just want to be involved. OC is where you could have a regional touring model and in some cases regional membership, regional at least in comparison with WC.

For WC, the national touring model is part of the allure. I also don’t see how you could limit membership regionally. We also need to recall kids traveling to march is not new. A young man I went to high school with attended the University of Wisconsin to march with Madison and I know of someone from New York who went to a college in my hometown to march with 27th. This would have been the late 70’s. I know North Star used to look down on 27th for having so many from out of state and I was told until the early 1980’s, Garfield felt the same way about Bridgemen. A regional touring model may harken back to the days of DCE and Drum Corps Midwest, but regional membership for some corps would be returning to pre-DCI days.

1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

Sinus crud; hopefully.  Or maybe "cough due to cold"?  Whatever the case, get great 2nd looks at school & Walmart. :spitting:  

Allergy time with change of season? Yesterday I was trying to figure out how to wipe my nose thru a mask. Yuuuuck...

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

I'll ask this as I have before, regional, especially today is not a bad idea BUT if corps could draw within their own regions would corps have had to scan the entire country just to get members. Where are these kids coming from, what local groups will go back to the old days and support the activity. Merely saying go back will never work IMO. There has to be some real creativity in so many areas to even slightly consider this.

with regional you're still on the road or housing kids and feeding them. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

with regional you're still on the road or housing kids and feeding them. 

If regional means you only travel Friday - Sunday, then it may be a cost savings.  Assuming that you can house reasonably at your home location.  I'm not sure anyone can go back to the host family model.

12 hours ago, troopers1 said:

If regional means you only travel Friday - Sunday, then it may be a cost savings.  Assuming that you can house reasonably at your home location.  I'm not sure anyone can go back to the host family model.

ok so where do you house and feed the kids? most camps are done at schools

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

ok so where do you house and feed the kids? most camps are done at schools

At Schools? Kids are going to schools right now. Kids are playing sports right now. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, E3D said:

At Schools? Kids are going to schools right now. Kids are playing sports right now. 

right. we're talking camps and rehearsals....to outside groups. hello liability fears

• Like 2

On 9/19/2020 at 12:23 AM, E3D said:

Depends where you are at.... some have gone back to distance learning due to new cases or prepared to go to distance if new cases occur.

Friday night fall ritual is watch local HS football on TV. Too many local schools have moved football to spring so the local cable channel not broadcasting games this year.