Has DCI......

Thinking about school / school district facilities.

My kids' USA swim team practices and hold meets in a school district facility.  They are restricted to 50 people in the building (capacity is usually about 200 swimmers, and about 800 spectators / officials).  Last weekend was the first meet they allowed, after a lot of meetings, planning and so forth.   40 swimmers, 10 coaches / officials, and a nice livestream for the rest of us.  The kids sat outside the building between heats.

So, the chances of that same school district allowing 150 kids, 30 staff and another 20-30 support staff to use any facility is probably zero.  At least until something really big happens to change the approach.  Tentatively, indoor sports will start in January, which could see an increase in the capacity limits, but not to the level where a drum corps would be able to function.

On 9/19/2020 at 10:49 PM, Jeff Ream said:

right. we're talking camps and rehearsals....to outside groups. hello liability fears

Schools. Kids are going to School and playing sports. 

People are getting on Airplanes for hours at a time everyday. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/20/2020 at 6:02 AM, JimF-LowBari said:

Depends where you are at.... some have gone back to distance learning due to new cases or prepared to go to distance if new cases occur.

Friday night fall ritual is watch local HS football on TV. Too many local schools have moved football to spring so the local cable channel not broadcasting games this year. 

So what your saying is we need a national go back to school mandate? 

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, E3D said:

So what your saying is we need a national go back to school mandate? 

No... I’m saying no one can judge how good the entire country is doing by looking at any one location...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

No... I’m saying no one can judge how good the entire country is doing by looking at any one location...

Not looking at one location.

We need that back to school mandate immediately.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, E3D said:

Not looking at one location.

We need that back to school mandate immediately.  

One size fits all.... I disagree. Let it be decided at the local levels who know the details of what is going on there. Have the whole gamut around here. Schools fully open with precautions, schools with mix of in class and online and some that reopened but went back to distance as new cases emerged. 

Bottom line is the schools need flexibility as conditions change. Sister in laws school is small and rural and currently has all students in class under state guidelines for CV precautions. But the understanding is that is on a day by day basis. Something hits the fan be prepared to go to fall back of distance learning quickly.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

One size fits all.... I disagree. Let it be decided at the local levels who know the details of what is going on there. Have the whole gamut around here. Schools fully open with precautions, schools with mix of in class and online and some that reopened but went back to distance as new cases emerged. 

Bottom line is the schools need flexibility as conditions change. Sister in laws school is small and rural and currently has all students in class under state guidelines for CV precautions. But the understanding is that is on a day by day basis. Something hits the fan be prepared to go to fall back of distance learning quickly.

That is an interesting concept. Weird how national mandates only work for certain issues. 

What is the total number of Covid related deaths for 15-24 year old age range in the last 9 months? What is the total number of deaths from all causes in the same age group? 

So we are essentially protecting the teachers and staff. There are ways to do that safely just as the grocery store / airplane / businesses have since this started. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, E3D said:

That is an interesting concept. Weird how national mandates only work for certain issues. 

What is the total number of Covid related deaths for 15-24 year old age range in the last 9 months? What is the total number of deaths from all causes in the same age group? 

So we are essentially protecting the teachers and staff. There are ways to do that safely just as the grocery store / airplane / businesses have since this started. 

If you want to start a discussion or argument go to someone else as I’m not getting into this. You have your opinion and I have mine and that’s where it ends for me.....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

If you want to start a discussion or argument go to someone else as I’m not getting into this. You have your opinion and I have mine and that’s where it ends for me.....

Great so we are in an agreement on the need for a national mandate to get schools back in person learning. AKA - BACK TO SCHOOL Mandate. 

1 hour ago, E3D said:

Great so we are in an agreement on the need for a national mandate to get schools back in person learning. AKA - BACK TO SCHOOL Mandate. 

Not what I said and you know better than that...

Dont want to put you on ignore but wasting too many heartbeats responding...

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1