Private Funeral Services Held For Hall Of Fame Member Red Winzer

At the request of his family, private funeral services for World Drum Corps Hall of Fame (WDCHoF) member Elmer ‘Red’ Winzer have been provided by Bell-Hennessy Funeral Home, Inc., 420 South Main St. in Williamstown, New Jersey. He passed away Tuesday September 8 at age 80. Those wishing to send flowers to the family or […]

View the full article

6 hours ago, ironlips said:

Red championed "classical" music in Drum Corps. His scoring of the Verdi "Requiem" for the Reading Bucs set new standards, and inspired all of us who had aspirations to arrange for brass. We are forever in his debt for that and so many other brilliant musical moments.

Reading was playing “Requiem” my first year and heard comments from “years ahead of everyone else” to the dreaded “that ain’t Drum Corps”. Time to put in the 1974 Carlisle DVD to watch it again. 

On 9/15/2020 at 4:57 AM, JimF-LowBari said:

Reading was playing “Requiem” my first year and heard comments from “years ahead of everyone else” to the dreaded “that ain’t Drum Corps”. Time to put in the 1974 Carlisle DVD to watch it again. 

One of the greatest shows and hornline in DCA history with a killer drum line taught by Flowers IIRC.  What I remember about 74 was the corp beating Cabs in Hershey and being booed off the field.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bucbari said:

One of the greatest shows and hornline in DCA history with a killer drum line taught by Flowers IIRC.  What I remember about 74 was the corp beating Cabs in Hershey and being booed off the field.

That was the first show I ever saw! My parents, sister and I went and had to sit on the back side as concert side was sold out. 

Yep booing and blizzard of thrown programs is what I remember. And sitting on the other side got a real good look 😳

Edited by JimF-LowBari

22 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

That was the first show I ever saw! My parents, sister and I went and had to sit on the back side as concert side was sold out. 

Yep booing and blizzard of thrown programs is what I remember. And sitting on the other side got a real good look 😳

And i forgot to mention that was Red's hornline.  I'll never forget Richie playing the solo in Requiem one of Red's greatest orchestration

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Stumbled upon this post from way back in 2020 about the private funeral services for the legendary Red Winzer. It's incredible how time flies! Just wanted to take a moment to remember Red and the impact he had on the drum corps community.

Edited by crowleyjf