I'm writing a paper about DCI and need some sources.

Just now, GUARDLING said:

I think the difference today compared to when we were of age is , at 21 many people were on to careers , marriage, etc etc. Today , very few are off to marriage and school for many go far beyond 21. For some it could still apply BUT I think today young people are not in a rush to get into the rest of life thing. Not saying me BUT there are many within the DCI community that would not oppose 25 years old , not that I think it would ever happen. Wait...lol..I said that about WGI too,....lol 

This same argument came up when WGI made World Class no age limit ( Independent ) 

DCA is hanging on for years already, who knows where that goes after all this.

8 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

I think the difference today compared to when we were of age is , at 21 many people were on to careers , marriage, etc etc. Today , very few are off to marriage and school for many go far beyond 21. For some it could still apply BUT I think today young people are not in a rush to get into the rest of life thing. Not saying me BUT there are many within the DCI community that would not oppose 25 years old , not that I think it would ever happen. Wait...lol..I said that about WGI too,....lol 

This same argument came up when WGI made World Class no age limit ( Independent )

Very good points. At 22, I was eager to jump into my career. If I was 22 today, who knows how I would feel?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

25....!?  Wow.  Talk about failure to launch (unless your career is going to be tied to Drum Corps or a related activity).  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, greg_orangecounty said:

25....!?  Wow.  Talk about failure to launch (unless your career is going to be tied to Drum Corps or a related activity).  

As I said its very different now then it was when we were 21..Not everyone these days feel forced to marry at 21 as many did BITD or start the drudge of  so called normal life. #### many of my friends had kids right after aging out..lol

.Many thought it was the end of the world when WGI world class went with no age limit and the sky didn't fall..lol

47 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

As I said its very different now than it was when we were 21..Not everyone these days feel forced to marry at 21 as many did BITD or start the drudge of  so called normal life. #### many of my friends had kids right after aging out..lol

.Many thought it was the end of the world when WGI world class went with no age limit and the sky didn't fall..lol

2 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Very good points. At 22, I was eager to jump into my career. If I was 22 today, who knows how I would feel?

I hear ya. Most people I know , if you were to ask them now  would never settle down as early as it was expected of us. Remember back then we also had alot less available to us compared to young people today. The good and of course bad of that.

• Like 1

My guess is that 21 being the age out year for drum corps goes back to when the voting age was also 21. There have been significant changes since that time.  Prior to the 1980’s, only about 40-50% of high school graduates went to college and most high school graduates who attended vocational high schools or were on a vocational track went right into the work force, if in the 60’s and early 70’s were not drafted. Today about 70% of high school graduates attend either two or four year colleges and many vocational programs require further education or apprenticeships. Many college graduates attend graduate school right after finishing undergrad studies. Young people enter the workforce later.

Personally I believe 21 gives a young person ample opportunity to march and the rule which allows a person who turns 22 between the start of the season and finals is fair. I also agree anyone eligible to march in 2020 should be able to march in 2021. However you could make an argument that things have changed in society since the 21 rule was established and it should be 22.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

As I said its very different now then it was when we were 21..Not everyone these days feel forced to marry at 21 as many did BITD or start the drudge of  so called normal life. #### many of my friends had kids right after aging out..lol

it helped A and Open. I don't think however the results would be the same in percussion

• Like 1
  • Haha 1