I'm writing a paper about DCI and need some sources.

55 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Lol I’m still getting used to the edit button moving. Twice I quoted myself when I wanted to edit... 😖

My massive caffeine intake today not working. 😜 Doing genealogy catch up work and feel like I’m writing a paper like englishpaperguy...

I've encountered the same issue recently.  A bit of a learning curve. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Sorry but all I can do is wish you luck as had to do an argument speech in college. And have no opinion one way or the other as marched all age corps (while still a minor).

Also you don’t want to get him in trouble for omitting subject nouns.  😆

• Haha 1

On 9/18/2020 at 5:08 PM, englishpaperguy said:

Hi, I'm taking an English class and was assigned an argument paper. I need some sources I can quote on the issue i'm writing about. Speaking of which, basically I just want to know if you think the age-out age should be permanently raised to 22 or remain at 21 and I need just a few sentences I can quote about why you think so. 

Just email me at utenglishpaper@gmail.com and we can get started. The reason why I need to do it over email is because I can't just quote internet comments. I'll need some info about you too since it's anonymous but it's simple things like "where and when did you march?", and "how involved in the activity are you currently?" (i.e. staff, member, volunteer, etc.)

Hope I can get some help with this!

The age out is 22.

• Haha 1

The eligibility rule is that 22-year-olds can march if their birthday occurs between June 1 and the night of finals. That is, about of one-fifth of 22-year olds can march. Because the 2020 season was canceled, people who were accepted into a corps and would have aged out in 2020 were given a one-year extension.

Ah folks... the OP was not asking what the age out year is... Asking our opinions on should it be 21 or 22. 

I am OK with the bonus year because of COVID, but in general, I think the age out year is appropriate as is. I know I would have liked to march longer, but at 21 or 22 in certain cases, it’s time to celebrate the accomplishments of youth and move on into adulthood. (I view aging out as a right of passage.) And DCA is there to ease the parting of your DCI years.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer

1 hour ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I am OK with the bonus year because of COVID, but in general, I think the age out year is appropriate as is. I know I would have liked to march longer, but at 21 or 22 in certain cases, it’s time to celebrate the accomplishments of youth and move on into adulthood. (I view aging out as a right of passage.) And DCA is there to ease the parting of your DCI years.

I think the difference today compared to when we were of age is , at 21 many people were on to careers , marriage, etc etc. Today , very few are off to marriage and school for many go far beyond 21. For some it could still apply BUT I think today young people are not in a rush to get into the rest of life thing. Not saying me BUT there are many within the DCI community that would not oppose 25 years old , not that I think it would ever happen. Wait...lol..I said that about WGI too,....lol 

This same argument came up when WGI made World Class no age limit ( Independent )

• Like 1