Dotbook | "Spin Cycle" - The Cavaliers Drum & Bugle Corps (2003), with Michael Gaines (Drill Designer & Visual Coordinator)

For almost a year now I've had a lot of fun interviewing designers, educators, & artists for my podcast, Sketchbook Podcast. Throughout that time there have been 40 guest interviews and two additional series; 'Matchbook' with Jen Barton & 'Sound Advice' with Erik Kosman. Over the last two weeks, I debuted two series; 'Musicbook,' which focused on The Cavaliers 2002 production, "Frameworks," with brass composer & arranger Richard Saucedo and 'Storybook,' which focused on The Cavaliers 2004 production, "007," with program coordinator Scott Koter.

Today we continue the '-book' series with 'Dotbook.' My goal with this series is to discuss a show, production, or work and focus on the programming, design, and/or coordination aspect. I would talk with the programmer/coordinator and we could discuss the inspiration, process, edits, cuts, or any other behind the scenes aspects to the show.

The first episode of 'Dotbook' focuses on The Cavaliers 2003 production, "Spin Cycle" and my guest is drill designer and visual coordinator Michael Gaines. For anyone out there wanting a more "inside baseball" look at the creative process behind that 2003 championship-worthy show, as well as some insight into Michael's process, you won't want to miss this!

I just subscribed. 

all 3 were very good. in fact this podcast in general is good, except when he bashes the Cowboys

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

all 3 were very good. in fact this podcast in general is good, except when he bashes the Cowboys

All of it is good,  Especially when he bashes the Cowgirls.

:dancin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...

Will there be any new releases in the near future? In addition to podcasts, including educational podcasts, which I often listen to when walking a dog, I currently read a lot of books. I mostly read classical literature, including Shakespeare. At https://artscolumbia.org/free-essays/romeo-and-juliet/ I recently read some new information about Romeo and Juliet. After that I wanted to read this play again.

Edited by Yoshiyuki Davis

I am really stoked about listening to these podcast, however I just clicked the link to listen and the Cavilers podcast are not available.  The list available is only the HS band directors.  

Can someone let me know how to access those episodes?

On 2/13/2022 at 6:20 AM, B-Flat said:

I am really stoked about listening to these podcast, however I just clicked the link to listen and the Cavilers podcast are not available.  The list available is only the HS band directors.  

Can someone let me know how to access those episodes?

Daniel recently re-released a number of episodes, reorganizing them into seasons based on their content. It looks like he may have taken down any episodes not related to the current re-released season, and I expect this and other episodes like this one to come back in their newly organized seasonal format.

• Like 1