If 2021......

37 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

It will go away eventually. But the Spanish flu infected over 500 million people world wide and killed 50 million of them. And yes it did subside but this is 2020. Medicine are advanced. But again we live in a world that travels. That was not the case in early 1900's unless you went for wars. It will go away faster if most people take it seriously. 

Troop travel for WWI is a big reason why it spread so badly 1919-1920. If it had hit before or after would have been a different story. And yes WWI years were biggest in human history (up to them) for human movement. 
Possibly started the big spread at an army camp in Kansas

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Troop travel for WWI is a big reason why it spread so badly 1919-1920. If it had hit before or after would have been a different story. And yes WWI years were biggest in human history (up to them) for human movement. 

That's what I'm saying. That infection spread because of a war. Not from leisure traveling. They had no idea what hit them in both America and Europe.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DFA1970 said:

That's what I'm saying. That infection spread because of a war. Not from leisure traveling. They had no idea what hit them in both America and Europe.

Ok wasn’t totally sure of your meaning. I shouldn’t dcp after looking at twitter as some really misinformed people there. “It’s called Spanish Flu because it started in Spain”  “No Spain was the only country not censoring info due to the war”. “Oh yeah.. then where did it start then!!” 😖

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Dumont, New Jersey, had a large Demarcation Camp (Camp Merit).

It was about 5 miles from where I live.

When I was a kid, my grandfather,who was a  WW 1 vet, took me to see the where the camp was,and show me the camp's Memorial Monument.

He talked about how bad the 1918 influenza epidemic was and how many soldiers stationed there got sick and died.

After WW 1 they tore the camp down.

Now all that's left is the Memorial Monument.

Its got the names of the over 500  people who died at the camp from what they now call the Spanish Flu.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

Dumont, New Jersey, had a large Demarcation Camp (Camp Merit).

It was about 5 miles from where I live.

When I was a kid, my grandfather,who was a  WW 1 vet, took me to see the where the camp was,and show me the camp's Memorial Monument.

He talked about how bad the 1918 influenza epidemic was and how many soldiers stationed there got sick and died.

After WW 1 they tore the camp down.

Now all that's left is the Memorial Monument.

Its got the names of the over 500  people who died at the camp from what they now call the Spanish Flu.

Thanks will have to look at my copy of The Great Influenza to see if Camp Merit is mentioned. I’m a history buff and currently interested in 1898-1920s era. Will google this when I have some time. 😷😜

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Comparisons to the pandemic after World War I and our current situation are only helpful to a point. For one thing we are talking about two different viruses. We also know more about how viruses spread and sanitation is better today. In some ways the earlier pandemic can teach us how to best respond to Covid 19, but using it to predict what will happen today may not be accurate. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good points, Tim!

I'd like to add the difference in communication technology these days as compared to back then.  For 1918, knowledge moved very slowly. It was not so easy to build any consensus across the nation.

We must admit, today, we wake-up every morning to an information overload to tap. Some of it good, empirical, trustworthy. Most of it . . . just plain junk science and claims by people promoting some agenda. How easily persuaded are we?

49 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Comparisons to the pandemic after World War I and our current situation are only helpful to a point. For one thing we are talking about two different viruses. We also know more about how viruses spread and sanitation is better today. In some ways the earlier pandemic can teach us how to best respond to Covid 19, but using it to predict what will happen today may not be accurate. 

Also, 18-19 pandemic many of the death were due to bacterial pneumonia, a complication of the influenza that was often fatal due to lack of antibiotics. 

12 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Good points, Tim!

I'd like to add the difference in communication technology these days as compared to back then.  For 1918, knowledge moved very slowly. It was not so easy to build any consensus across the nation.

We must admit, today, we wake-up every morning to an information overload to tap. Some of it good, empirical, trustworthy. Most of it . . . just plain junk science and claims by people promoting some agenda. How easily persuaded are we?

Also in 1918 there was censorship of the press that prevented coverage of certain events due to the war.  The Wilson administration was a real piece of work and if this was tried today it would not be tolerated 

• Like 1