If 2021......

23 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Also in 1918 there was censorship of the press that prevented coverage of certain events due to the war.  The Wilson administration was a real piece of work and if this was tried today it would not be tolerated 

One can hope we are different in hiding info. But as said before we have so much “information “ we are not sure what to trust.... Personally I think it’s good that people are looking at Spanish flu pandemic as there were so many wrong steps that we can learn from. 

• Like 1

Right, Jim.  It has become much too difficult to sort through media that has been weaponized. That’s out there, and some search engines are actually censoring results we can choose from. 

If a citizen relies only on a favorite news outlet, one channel they watch for 30 minutes every evening by habit, they likely are being misled. Parroting something any one “talking head” claims might not be a good idea.

Edited by Fred Windish

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Thanks will have to look at my copy of The Great Influenza to see if Camp Merit is mentioned. I’m a history buff and currently interested in 1898-1920s era. Will google this when I have some time. 😷😜

Have you listened to the Hardcore History podcast with Dan Carlin? He covers that period well, especially WWI.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Right, Jim.  It has become much too difficult to sort through media that has been weaponized. That’s out there, and some search engines are actually censoring results we can choose from. 

If a citizen relies only on a favorite news outlet, one channel they watch for 30 minutes every evening by habit, they likely are being misled. Parroting something any one “talking head” claims might not be a good idea.

Here's an interesting way to think about media sources

https://www.adfontesmedia.com/

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Why I refuse to watch talking head beotch fest show masquerading as news. Learned that when had co-worker who would come in all cranked up. Finally realized only “news” he watched was two prime time talking heads on “his” network. They said what he wanted to hear so they “had it right”. Whatever they griped about had him upset next day. Really fun when he would say stuff like “you don’t hear that on other news” and I’d tell him I heard it two days earlier.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Ok wasn’t totally sure of your meaning. I shouldn’t dcp after looking at twitter as some really misinformed people there. “It’s called Spanish Flu because it started in Spain”  “No Spain was the only country not censoring info due to the war”. “Oh yeah.. then where did it start then!!” 😖

In 1871 Japanese encephalitis happened.  

Then again there is  H3N2 Hong Kong Flu. back in 1968 

6 minutes ago, E3D said:

In 1871 Japanese encephalitis happened.  

Then again there is  H3N2 Hong Kong Flu. back in 1968 

And apparently 1918-1920 “Spanish” flu started in Kansas.... 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And apparently 1918-1920 “Spanish” flu started in Kansas.... 

Could be but I don't think science ever came to a conclusion on that. But that seems to be the place. Point was you found some rubes that wanted to argue on twitter of all places and got a little bent out of shape right? What if one of those people brought up the examples I provided? 

This is for you and your many thankersss likerssss since they seemed to get a little over the ledge over emoji's.  

I wore my mask today for a little theater. :lol:

3 hours ago, E3D said:

Could be but I don't think science ever came to a conclusion on that. But that seems to be the place. Point was you found some rubes that wanted to argue on twitter of all places and got a little bent out of shape right? What if one of those people brought up the examples I provided? 

Nope... wrong. Someone posted wrong info about 1918 flu and others tried to help by correcting them. That’s not an argument. And the person getting upset when someone tried to correct their wrong info was really stupid.
No idea what 1871 and 1968 flus have to do with the discussion. You should explain instead of dropping a line or two and making us guess.

And no idea why you think I got upset. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari