If 2021......

I have a few thoughts regarding the possibility of no 2021 season. I still hold out hope there will be.

If there is not a 2021 season, corps have to find away to keep marching members and potential marching members engaged. I was talking with a woman who directs a children's chorus and does community theater. Her biggest concern is that the children she works with will move on to other activities. She has a virtual chorus to try and remedy this, but when she spoke I could not help but think of drum corps. Marching members may move on and recruitment could be a challenge. I think those corps that already have a virtual presence may find this easier than corps that do not, but corps need to remember that for kids, two years without drum corps is an eternity.

The same is true for fans. How many fans will we lose? If there is a 2021 season, I am hoping for two early season shows in the Boston area and one later season show. I am not betting the farm this will happen. I am assuming I may be able to see one early show and the closest will be in New Jersey or Pennsylvania, and will not see much before Allentown. Prior to Indy, I may only see Allentown and it could be a one day event. If I have to wait until 2022, I can't imagine not going to a show, but I'm a die hard and since I'm 58, a dino. How much of a fan base will we lose and what can be done to avoid it.  

If there is a 2021 season, DCI and the corps will try as best as possible to pick up where they left off in 2019. If we have to wait until 2022, that could be an entirely different situation. My thought is where it will be the 50th anniversary of the first finals, DCI should form a group of wide ranging folks to look at where we want drum corps to be in the future, much like the first directors did years ago. I'm not talking about a complete overhaul. On DCP we may focus on many of the cracks, but overall it is an amazing activity with extraordinary talent and committed individuals. It is an innovative activity in some respects, but it also has the characteristics at times of a war horse. Change is not always welcome and drum corps can be territorial. We need to look at our rich past while also ensuring a bright future.

If you want an example of the above, after World War II drum corps was viewed as an activity for, in some cases poor but more often kids from working class and middle class families so they could be part of a worthwhile activity. Today there is a need to get musical instruments into the hands of kids who live in urban areas who are not interested in sports and want more than the arts programs available. How do we identify and support groups already do this? How do we graduate these kids into drum corps? We'd be honoring our roots and applying what we know to today. We also wouldn't have to search all that far for advice on how to make this happen. Inspire Arts/Boston Crusaders is already doing this and they'd be more than happy to share ideas.

P.S.: As I wrote this comment, I got a pop up alerting me of an email. Boston Crusaders wants me to buy a BAC mask and hand sanitizer!  😀

Edited by Tim K
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tim K said:

P.S.: As I wrote this comment, I got a pop up alerting me of an email. Boston Crusaders wants me to buy a BAC mask and hand sanitizer!  😀

I suggested to them a couple of months back about selling masks with Waldo on them.  Maybe they were already working on this.

https://shop.bostoncrusaders.org/collections/face-masks-hand-sanitizer?utm_campaign=Crusader Collection&utm_content=140603410&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&hss_channel=fbp-146636528713632

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1

Tim K is spot on:

"If you want an example of the above, after World War II drum corps was viewed as an activity for, in some cases poor but more often kids from working class and middle class families so they could be part of a worthwhile activity. Today there is a need to get musical instruments into the hands of kids who live in urban areas who are not interested in sports and want more than the arts programs available. How do we identify and support groups already do this? How do we graduate these kids into drum corps? We'd be honoring our roots and applying what we know to today. We also wouldn't have to search all that far for advice on how to make this happen. Inspire Arts/Boston Crusaders is already doing this and they'd be more than happy to share ideas."

I would add that there are several groups in the country presently operating like this, a bit under the radar of the high-end drum corps activity. They are not a substitute for "Marching Music's Major League", but their growth and health would go a long way to insuring its future.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So then, maybe, this would be an opportunity to take corps back to (let's say) early 1970's model. Local/regional shows and then the last two weeks all the major shows. I don't see Marion, Butler or Lynn shows returning but possibly DCI East, North, Midwest and South. West would have to be done earlier. All corps meet at DCI Championship.

Would this allow for growth in the activity again? I'm not the expert but many of you are, or so you say LOL

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, KeithHall said:

So then, maybe, this would be an opportunity to take corps back to (let's say) early 1970's model. Local/regional shows and then the last two weeks all the major shows. I don't see Marion, Butler or Lynn shows returning but possibly DCI East, North, Midwest and South. West would have to be done earlier. All corps meet at DCI Championship.

Would this allow for growth in the activity again? I'm not the expert but many of you are, or so you say LOL

Agree, Keith.  That’s pretty much the “Back to the Future” movement I see. 

What is a little frustrating is, we haven't heard anything from DCI on what they are doing to try and have a 2021 season. Reaching out to potential show sponsors, providing guidance on how to host a show in the current environment, etc. The silence is deafening. To me this means DCI has no clue. Guess that's nothing new.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rocketman said:

What is a little frustrating is, we haven't heard anything from DCI on what they are doing to try and have a 2021 season. Reaching out to potential show sponsors, providing guidance on how to host a show in the current environment, etc. The silence is deafening. To me this means DCI has no clue. Guess that's nothing new.  

First off, no one knows what DCI may be  doing "behind the scenes".

That being said, right now there really isn't a whole lot DCI can do for 2021.

There way too many unknowns.

1.What corps will  survive and be able to compete in 2021 ?

2.For those corps that do survive, what will be the "touring model" ?

3.What rules will corps that do survive have to follow for things like hygiene, Social Distancing, including on busses etc. ?

4.Will any school house a corps, or, for that matter, even allow them to use outdoor facilities for practice ?

5.What venues will even be available for shows ?

For  those that are, how many fans will be allowed ?

WGI cancelling just threw another monkey wrench into 2021.

I think we're months away from any indication from DCI of what may happen in 2021.

Plus, if 2020 is any indication, any plans are subject to change in a heartbeat.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rocketman said:

The silence is deafening. To me this means DCI has no clue. Guess that's nothing new.  

They seem to do this at times, whether it's on field or off field issues.

35 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

First off, no one knows what DCI may be  doing "behind the scenes".

You're correct, but you don't need to check in with five attorney's to give the paying public an update on where they are on looking into 2021. 

Edited by Ghost