The 2005 Thread

2005 took DCI back to Foxboro, MA, and the Cadets put it all together with 'The Zone.' Cavaliers with a tribute to Chicago (I loved the baseball scene) and Phantom Regiment branching into American music and Gershwin with positive results. Blue Devils with a rare miss in programming but an amazing hornline...(you thought I was going to say it, didn't you?) Bluecoats caravan their way into the Top 5! Madison back in the Top 6 with a very special guest performer.

Crown's Angelus was on a scoring island, and then three corps (Santa Clara, Boston, and Blue Knights) within half a point of each other at finals. The 'Vanguard' roar in RCM was amazing! Glassmen and Spirit rounded out the top 12. 

What did you see, what did you like? 

• Like 1

I didn't follow DCI that much that summer.

The Cadets were incredibly talented, i didn't like the show. while i liked the SCV retro idea, the judges didn't. BD...well..Yowza. oh and wasn't this Madison and Carmen?

• Like 2

Their intonation was horrid and they earned their (relatively) low marks in brass... but I really, really liked Vanguard's book in 2005. Terrific arrangements of Shostakovich's 12th Symphony and Russian Christmas Music.

• Like 2

Yeah 2005 was a strange year. Cadets totally deserve the win but didn't really like it. BD was mostly in Europe on the canals of Venice. I think they knew it was a non competitive year for them. The two shows I enjoyed the most was Bluecoats and Madison Scouts.

Edited by DFA1970
  • Like 1

Phantom announces their 2005 show.....

My reaction to their musical selections: "What?, No!, Are they crazy?, Who made this decision?"

Then I saw it:

My reaction: "WOW!!!!"

That year Phantom came out with a top notch visual program on top of their top notch musical program.  Their guard alone was just so incredible.  Every flag they used was so art deco - all based on their chevron.

Edited by Continental
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

Yeah 2005 was a strange year. Cadets totally deserve the win but didn't really like it. BD was mostly in Europe on the canals of Venice. I think they new it was a non competitive year for them. The two shows I enjoyed the most was Bluecoats and Madison Scouts.

Bluecoats was one of my favorite shows from 2005 and one of my favorite Bluecoats shows of all time (the video below is from semis).

Edited by Continental
  • Like 1