The 2005 Thread

4 hours ago, Continental said:

Phantom announces their 2005 show.....

My reaction to their musical selections: "What?, No!, Are they crazy?, Who made this decision?"

Then I saw it:

My reaction: "WOW!!!!"

That year Phantom came out with a top notch visual program on top of their top notch musical program.  Their guard alone was just so incredible.  Every flag they used was so art deco - all based on their chevron.

That Phantom show was pure joy! I’m sitting here with tears in my eyes at the thought that kids might not be able to experience drum corps in the same way for a long time. It breaks my heart. 

Had a great weekend in northern France and Belgium in late June that year spending the day watching BD rehearse and then attending the DCE show where they completed with most of the top European corps the next day. 

• Like 1

Flew direct from Sydney, NSW to Boston Logan...got to Semis in time for top 17...then checked into my hotel after the show. Enjoyed the weekend in Boston, Cadets grew on me...Loved Cavaliers, Regiment...BD eventually grew on me.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2020 at 3:48 PM, mfrontz said:

2005 took DCI back to Foxboro, MA, and the Cadets put it all together with 'The Zone.' Cavaliers with a tribute to Chicago (I loved the baseball scene) and Phantom Regiment branching into American music and Gershwin with positive results. Blue Devils with a rare miss in programming but an amazing hornline...(you thought I was going to say it, didn't you?) Bluecoats caravan their way into the Top 5! Madison back in the Top 6 with a very special guest performer.

Crown's Angelus was on a scoring island, and then three corps (Santa Clara, Boston, and Blue Knights) within half a point of each other at finals. The 'Vanguard' roar in RCM was amazing! Glassmen and Spirit rounded out the top 12. 

What did you see, what did you like? 

I loved Phantom in 2005 they were my favorite. other great shows for me were crown Boston Madison SCV colts  and some of the glassmen and  cavaliers. Cadets drumline was amazing

18 minutes ago, FTNK said:

What's the story with SCV in 2005? Went in a very old direction and failed pretty spectacularly. There was speculation that they would be out of the top 10. 

All I know is Boston beat them by over 1. 5 the first two nights, then SCV had a very good performance Saturday and moved ahead.  

IIRC, SCVhad to wait out a weather delay on Finals night and I recall their performance on Finals night as being electric.  They easily had their best night of the week and moved up deservedly.  May have been an old school show, but it sold well that night for sure.  

15 hours ago, FTNK said:

What's the story with SCV in 2005? Went in a very old direction and failed pretty spectacularly. There was speculation that they would be out of the top 10. 

Major staff changes. Gino C went back to the Cadets after this one and only year with SCV.. I believe Jim  Casella also left and maybe others. Terrific show in 2004 and a huge drop in 2005.  

I'm not sure my timeline is correct, but I think it was in '05 that Myron Rosander learned of his condition. 

His original prognosis was not good.  Somewhere it is written on the Internet yet to review it one last time is not easy reading. 

He fought and had additional years to contribute to the activity.  He contributed with other corps, yet his heart was always with SCV. 

Often our first love is always the strongest and the longest lasting. 

His contribution to Phantom 2010 is ever enduring.  

I hope Myron is well where he is. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Did not see a lot of DCI in 2005 but enough to keep up with things.  What I did see I enjoyed. A number of design teams missed the mark that summer, even if just by a pinch. As I look at the repertoire and scores on DCX I am reminded of a number of shows that with a few changes could have been a lot better.  Did not attend Finals. Initially I was planning on it since I did not go in 1994, the last time they were in Foxboro, MA. I heard many complaints about costs from a few friends who attended, but I figured costs would be high.

Overall my favorite show of that summer was Phantom Regiment. They took a chance (much like they did in 2004 with some of the Latin choices) only they nailed the visual design and the music was beautifully crafted and coordinated. Loved every second of this show!

The Cadets were amazing performers and while this is not my favorite Cadets show I actually do like a lot about its construction and music. If anything the closer didn't do much for me, but the Intro, Rain segment, ballad (from Dancing in the Dark) and the percussion feature were incredible. Some did not like the percussion "speak" segment, but that drumline was absolute killer. If there was a year where you could win every caption and every sub-caption, 2005 was that summer because there were not enough corps with dominant captions. That does not take away from the Cadets brilliant performing captions in all respects. By Finals the Cadets had put the spit and polish on the show and were clearly the best on the field.

Enjoyed Cavaliers "My Kind of Town" show (about Chicago), but it was missing GE elements that would have helped. Thought Phantom should have been 2nd place, but I'm sure the judges got it right. I would have preferred Phantom in 2nd.

Never got to see Blue Devils live, which is a bummer. I always enjoy getting to see a corps of their caliber. I try hard to not question design teams because I couldn't do what they do. But sometimes even the best miss the mark. It's part of the activity and human nature. I'm sure the show looked better on paper, but doing the Dance Derby in reverse was kind of weird, and the musical arrangements were not what I was expecting. I was thinking we would get more of a Benny Goodman, Basie, Miller kind of dance off with old swing music. I didn't really know much about the programming until I saw the video. 

Definitely saw Bluecoats at least 3 times and 2005 remains one of my favorites. This is the show that kicks them into top 5, although if I remember correctly Madison was beating them for a good portion of the season and may have been 5th in Quarters. Actually I just checked and Madison was 5th at Quarters, then Bloo and Scouts tied for 5th at Semis, and Bloo took 5th at Finals by about 1.8. Both shows were fantastic in my book, but I enjoyed Bloo just a bit more.

I love the music of Carolina Crown's show. Thought the arrangements were excellent! The sound of the brass line was incredible. A very enjoyable show.

Saw Santa Clara once and definitely enjoyed the show and the effort to go old school. Loved the classic uniform. Music arrangements were very good. This would be a great show to bring back...only put a modern spin to it. With the quality of their horns and drums today this show would be top notch. 

Blue Knights were very good, Glassmen felt underwhelming considering the repertoire they were playing (A New World), and Spirit was definitely a fun Broadway show and, IMO, one of the more entertaining shows that summer. Absolutely LOVED the Colts that summer. Postcards From Home is a fantastic show with a lot of Aaron Copland rep plus a few other tunes. 

Crossmen took 14th and Capital Regiment was still hanging around and being very competitive in 15th.