The 2006 Thread

I sang Franz Biebl's 'Ave Maria' in college, and played it in a brass ensemble, arranged by one of my fellow students. Phantom Regiment's presentation of this piece is one of the most powerful and subtle arrangements ever done for the football field. 'Faust' is on my short short list of 'would go back in time to see live' shows. Yes, the Cavaliers won with 'Machine,' and probably deserved to, but Phantom stole my heart that year. It took a while for them to give it back.

'Godfather, Part Blue.' Every now and then the Devils do an angry show. 1995, 2000, 2006 leap to mind. While they don't win, there's no Devils like angry Devils.

The Cadets swung and missed with their Zone, part 2. It seemed that for a while there was a 'curse of the even-numbered years' similar to the Star Trek 'curse of the odd-numbered movies. Their talent, of course, was off-the-charts, but the show was everything and the kitchen sink and it just didn't work.

Honestly, I should know more about this year, but I really don't. I know I'm neglecting Bluecoats, who placed fourth, and what no doubt was a great 'Moto Perpetuo' by Vanguard. I'll leave it to you to fill in the gaps.

2006. So much has changed, but it wasn't that long ago. In more ways than one, this is true.

• Like 2

So many great shows in 2006.

Phantom one of my all time favorites.

Another favorite from 2006, Vanguard.  Pete Weber's first year doing drill for Vanguard.  So many nice drill moves in their show.  It also looks incredibly hard so I think Vanguard did an outstanding job with the difficulty. 

I really wish I could find the whole show to post.  Here is part of it.

• Like 1

I came back to DCI this year, as two former students were marching, and i decided to give up being grumpy about amps...well less grumpy anyways.

Cavies Machine was a masterpiece. the visual was great, the music far more engaging to me than 02-03, and adding in the SCV percussion team from 98-04...wow.

Phantom and Faust...Oh. My God. the build that started with this team together from 03 to here was incredible.

BD recovered from Yowza with the Godfather...and as a huge fan of the movies, they nailed it.

Coats and Connexus....fun stuff. 4th was their highest placement to date

The Cadets...Zone II. well seemed like a good idea. I felt bad for the crap the singer dealt with all summer. she didn't design it

SCV Mr. Moto....seemed if the could have cleaned the drill.....

Blue Knights...Dark Knights...they were good, but I wasn't a fan

Crown...In Trance It...I loved this show....inching closer to making noise

Madison....Primal Forces...a let down after Carmen

Boston cathedrals show had potential, but it felt like they were trying way too hard

Glassmen's Beethoven show was very weel done and IMO over rated

Spirit Old Borrowed and Blue...the last real Southern Spirit show...it was good. nice touches and tributes to other corps in there

non finalists...enjoyed the Colts and Blue Stars, Mandarins also stood out

historical note....how many places changed in one night at finals?

1 The Cavaliers 97.200
  2 Phantom Regiment 96.850
  3 Blue Devils 96.550
  4 Bluecoats 93.175
  5 The Cadets 93.075
  6 Santa Clara Vanguard 92.350
  7 Blue Knights 90.125
  8 Carolina Crown 89.975
  9 Madison Scouts 87.700
  10 Boston Crusaders 87.325
  11 Glassmen 86.000
  12 Spirit 84.825
1 The Cavaliers 97.850
    2 Blue Devils 97.000
    3 Phantom Regiment 96.825
    4 The Cadets 93.625
    5 Santa Clara Vanguard 93.550
    6 Bluecoats 93.500
    7 Carolina Crown 90.275
    8 Blue Knights 89.350
    9 Boston Crusaders 88.775
    10 Madison Scouts 87.950
    11 Glassmen 86.275
    12 Spirit from JSU 85.275
    13 Colts 83.050
    14 Blue Stars 81.525
    15 Crossmen 81.250
    16 Capital Regiment 80.825
    17 Mandarins

06 has the record

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

The Cadets...Zone II. well seemed like a good idea. I felt bad for the crap the singer dealt with all summer. she didn't design it

I know it's an uncommon opinion, but I preferred Cadets 2006 to 2005 - even after their mid-season patch job where they removed "History Repeating," shortened "White Rabbit" and added the Twilight Zone intro from 2005. 

I also loved the ballad "Sanvean (I Am Your Shadow)"  

Here's early season extended White Rabbit.

Edited by Continental
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I also love 2006 Crown.  Great show from them.

I remember one of their drill formations being pointed out on a humor-based website.  

Edited by Continental

2006 was a phenomenal year imo. Faust was a absolute masterpiece and maybe my favorite PR show of all time. My beloved Devils slayed it with Godfather. And my goodness Bloo with Connexus.........one of my favorite Bloo shows of all time with 2015 and 2017. 

And let this sink in.........we are in 2020 and steamrolling towards 2021 in a few months............this particular thread is the last time we will see BD 3rd or worse. Dominance like we have never seen and probaly will never see again. 

• Like 4

Let me say this...2006 was the last of the Cavaliers winning DCI. They were the corp of the decade (2000's). Very impressive run by them. 5 DCI titles which was the most in a decade surpassing BD's 1990's 4 and Cadets 1980's 4.

Edited by DFA1970
  • Like 2

On 10/5/2020 at 11:36 PM, Jeff Ream said:

Cavies Machine was a masterpiece. the visual was great, the music far more engaging to me than 02-03, and adding in the SCV percussion team from 98-04...wow.

Phantom and Faust...Oh. My God. the build that started with this team together from 03 to here was incredible.

BD recovered from Yowza with the Godfather...and as a huge fan of the movies, they nailed it.

Coats and Connexus....fun stuff. 4th was their highest placement to date

SCV Mr. Moto....seemed if the could have cleaned the drill.....

Blue Knights...Dark Knights...they were good, but I wasn't a fan

Madison....Primal Forces...a let down after Carmen

Boston cathedrals show had potential, but it felt like they were trying way too hard

Glassmen's Beethoven show was very weel done and IMO over rated

Spirit Old Borrowed and Blue...the last real Southern Spirit show...it was good. nice touches and tributes to other corps in there

This probably echoes what I thought about 2006. Cavaliers "Machine" show was off the charts in terms of design. Very clever stuff for that time and I liked just about everything about it. Brass line was a deserving first place that year.

Phantom for the 2nd year in a row was my FAVORITE corps! Incredible in every way. This show live was something to behold.

I probably liked BD 2003 and 2004 better, but 2006 was vastly better than 2005. I enjoyed the Godfather music and really liked the design of the drums. They looked spectacular. Brass was awesome as always.

Bluecoats definitely deserved 4th place and the show was outstanding from top to bottom. Smart design and it was becoming evident that Bloo's brass, percussion, and guard programs were making their mark in the top echelon of DCI's top 5. In fact, the very next year Bloo would win high brass at DCI Quarterfinals in Pasadena. This was their highest placement yet, and although many continued to wonder when they could break into the top 3 (2010) it was clear that talent, design, and teaching were at a super high level. It was only a matter of time if they could keep things going.

The Cadets Zone part 2 is not my favorite. I tried very hard to give it a chance but the show fell flat in too many areas...none of this the fault of the excellent talent they had. Design choices were clearly becoming an issue. They were lucky to be 5th. I had them in 6th at Finals under SCV.

Vanguard was pretty awesome! Cool drill from Pete Webber, and I enjoyed the music. Needed to clean.

Don't remember much about BK so I might have to go back and watch.

Crown was great but probably didn't grab me as much as their 2005 show did. That would change in 2007 with Triple Crown. 

Boston was really good. Glassmen I also feel were a bit overrated, but I appreciated their attempt to put Beethoven on the field. I liked Spirit of Atlanta better in 05 but it was still a good show.

I was probably pulling for Phantom to win, but I was in awe of what the Cavaliers put on the field and how they performed. The level of coordination needed by their design staff to bring Machine to the field had to be amazing. Very impressive show!

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Don't remember much about BK so I might have to go back and watch.

I loved BK's show from 2006.  It was so dark - I think the best of their dark period.

I miss dark BK.

Can't find the full thing on video although Soundcloud.com has the audio. 

• Like 2