The 2006 Thread

16 hours ago, FTNK said:

I think I may have emptied my brain LoL

Well re-load and give us more! 🙂

That was great stuff. 

• Like 1

@FTNK

An outstanding and shocking indictment of the tyrannical rule one man had over The Cadets...

Actually, it would have been shocking until about four years ago.

It is a reminder of how hard work, talent, inspiration, and creativity from ground-up can mask failure of leadership.

It is also a reminder of how we can often only hear (or see) the truth when our illusions are incontrovertibly disabused.

Finally, a reminder of how people 'on the front line' can suffer based on the decisions of people in command.

Thank you for sharing your experiences, and know that many people were still entertained and inspired by the members of the 2006 Cadets.  

Edited by mfrontz
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, mfrontz said:

@FTNK

An outstanding and shocking indictment of the tyrannical rule one man had over The Cadets...

Actually, it would have been shocking until about four years ago.

It is a reminder of how hard work, talent, inspiration, and creativity from ground-up can mask failure of leadership.

It is also a reminder of how we can often only hear (or see) the truth when our illusions are incontrovertibly disabused.

Finally, a reminder of how people 'on the front line' can suffer based on the decisions of people in command.

Thank you for sharing your experiences, and know that many people were still entertained and inspired by the members of the 2006 Cadets.  

it wasn't shocking 30 years ago, you just had to know people

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FTNK said:

Honest question - as someone who Knew People, what did you do to fix it in 30 years?

i didn't know. i know people who did nothing 30 years ago. winning was everything

13 hours ago, FTNK said:

Honest question - as someone who Knew People, what did you do to fix it in 30 years?

Trust. Plenty of people said things. Many people did not care. Just like with every other "instructor" or "director" that has been successful. 

• 2 weeks later...

This was my first year attending regular shows. I took my son and a friend that was about 14 years old and we had a great time. Both boys were big Cavalier fans. They both bought shirts.  After that I went to at least 2 or 3 events every year with my sons.  The shows that made an impression to me as I remember: Cadets (it was so different) not sure how I felt about it but I still remember it; Cavaliers show was also so different and the drill so interesting; my son liked the Blue Devils and the drill of the gun; My son liked seeing the old guys out there..lol in the all age corps.  These are the memories that come to mind first.  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I first started following DCI in 2006 because a few friends marched Crown that summer. I instantly fell in love with the activity and frequently rewatch two productions from that year.

Crown: A step in a new direction, both programming wise and really highlighting their strengths in the brass and guard. The visual's level of demand always stands out to me (beyond some questionable drill forms), field coverage and actual marching at those tempos needed some insane endurance. I miss the purple and cream uniforms on the field! 

PR: Everyone always talks about 2008 being the year of story telling and is everyone's favorite Phantom show, but Faust is the real GOAT. This show consistently ranks in my top 5 of all time because of the music book and emotion on the field. Very hopeful after last year that they will return to programs similar to 2006-2008 and 2011.  

Also loved the ESPN coverage around this time. If you have a full copy of the 2006 ESPN broadcast, it would be greatly appreciated!

• Like 1