DCI continues delay of 2021 tour announcement, ticketing information

6 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

Very valid and insightful, Tim. The reality is that the drum corps activity isn't going to be the same after all this; even when an effective vaccine is available. The coronavirus was/is an unprecedented event that the world wasn't ready for. We all knew something like this would eventually happen; however, as a global society, we just weren't prepared. As a result, a lot of things have and will continue to change. I just can't see a 2021 season happening. All the corps, including the mighty Blue Devils, will somehow be affected by the cancellation of this year and next year, should it come to that. Unfortunately, there will be some corps in, both, DCI and DCA that won't survive. Those that do will, more-than-likely, be in somewhat of a tabula rasa situation. 

I think it depends on how corps generate funds. I know that BD bingo has opened up again but limited capacity. I'm sure SCV is doing the same. I think alumni will be a huge factor for corps survivals if 2021 is a no go. It's really unprecedented what this activity is going through. It's like a forest fire in CA...what damage was done when the fire is out!!!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Several posts in this thread have made unnecessary political references.  Maybe we could try discussing the topic without that?

Agreed.  posts removed.

9 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

According to prevailing DCI policies, none.  A two-year absence from field competition means automatic forfeiture of WC and member status.  Anyone returning in 2022 would have to be in open-class (provided they pass evaluation).

After that, recently enacted policy changes require that a corps looking to move up to world-class demonstrate three years of meeting a raft of financial metrics that certainly no one will meet in 2021 if the season is cancelled.  So the earliest we would have any WC corps would be 2025. 

(And the earliest we would have any member corps again would be 2027, due to additional requirements that new WC corps must meet in their first two years in WC before obtaining member status.)

knowing that despite what they say they read here, i am sure they have a contingency for this...or will

• Like 1

6 hours ago, corps8294 said:

How many corps have been conducting virtual camps? How are all the corps going to retain membership if there is no season next year? Housing? Every corps is probably going to be looking at, almost, starting over once things are given the all clear. 

If corps survive financially, I think it is reasonable to believe the top 6 of 2019 will probably be the strongest as fas as both recruitment and retaining eligible members are concerned. I’m thinking 7-10 should be reasonably solid. I did think 11 and 12 might have faced some challenges If there had been a 2020 season. Not sure what an off year could mean. 

For Spirit, they have used being so close to making finals a part of their draw, trying to get folks who want to push them back to the top 12 to join them,  an off year could hurt that momentum. While Academy would love a second appearance in finals, overall they have attracted the same level of talent pretty consistently. The same holds true with Colts as far as recruiting talent is concerned.  I know that while folks at Troopers would have loved higher placement, they seemed optimist about the corps’ future and they seem to hold on against the odds. Troopers also seems to attract people who fit the corps. Pacific Crest has been gaining ground the past few years. I hope it’s not lost. Surf and Music City seem to do their own thing and I’m thinking they should be ok. I don’t want to think about how this will impact Madison. I can’t say I know that much about Cascades to make a prediction. It did seem Genesis had its share of chatter in 2019 which made me wonder about how these issues would impact 2020. I guess I am concerned about 2021.

If there is no 2021 season, I think it’s too early to predict 2022.

On 10/10/2020 at 8:52 AM, cixelsyd said:

According to prevailing DCI policies, none.  A two-year absence from field competition means automatic forfeiture of WC and member status.  Anyone returning in 2022 would have to be in open-class (provided they pass evaluation).

After that, recently enacted policy changes require that a corps looking to move up to world-class demonstrate three years of meeting a raft of financial metrics that certainly no one will meet in 2021 if the season is cancelled.  So the earliest we would have any WC corps would be 2025. 

(And the earliest we would have any member corps again would be 2027, due to additional requirements that new WC corps must meet in their first two years in WC before obtaining member status.)

Something I've been pondering: will we see any current World Class corps voluntarily move to Open Class for a season to reduce expenses and get back onto more stable financial footing?

53 minutes ago, hostrauser said:

Something I've been pondering: will we see any current World Class corps voluntarily move to Open Class for a season to reduce expenses and get back onto more stable financial footing?

"Hey everyone:  let's go backwards!"  Could be a solution if a corps is on the brink of disaster.  In the meantime, enjoy this little "nugget of backwardness".    😂

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hostrauser said:

I haven’t looked at the Open Class posts since last summer, but I was wondering if some of the issues facing WC would impact OC. If they have an off season staff at all, it would have to be small. The main portion of their season is shorter. They tend to be more region. As far as a WC moving to OC, it may sound like a reasonable idea but I think it would be difficult to return to WC competition.