DCI continues delay of 2021 tour announcement, ticketing information

4 hours ago, E3D said:

I've got 27 of the mail in ballots already mailed. Next week the drive through voting starts and I'm going to make sure and get to the 4 locations that are open. 

27. Cute.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, wolfgang said:

If delayed until 2022, how many of the 22 2019 WC corps do we guesstimate will make it to the field.

I’m thinking it’s too hard, and for that matter too depressing, to guess. At the end of every season there are always rumors of corps in precarious financial situations, some the usual suspects, others new. There are stories of corps living hand to mouth, others not paying bills and salaries. Then there are some who supposedly have more than enough.  It’s also hard to know what is true and what is not true as far as finances are concerned. My guess, and this is only speculation, it will all depend on which corps have unpaid debt and are surviving due to lines of credit. Managing debt with no income is next to impossible and corps in the past have learned it is easier to raise funds to move forward than it is to pay for prior seasons. I think it would also be easier to raise funds to maintain equipment and buildings, pay rent, and other off season costs than it would be to pay past bills.

My question that is closely related: if there is an abbreviated 2021 season, how many WC corps can afford to field a corps? There will be a savings on travel, but there will also be fewer shows and parades which means fewer performance fees and revenues, schools may not be available for overnight stays which will mean college dorms or hotels Which will be costly, chances are there will some corps without a home show which means less alumni revenue, especially for corps like Cadets, BAC, Cavies, Madison, BK, Troopers, and Crown who rely so heavily on home show revenues,  and less revenue from souvenir booths. These considerations, more than a vaccine and treatment plan, could be what sidelines 2021. 

8 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I’m thinking it’s too hard, and for that matter too depressing, to guess. At the end of every season there are always rumors of corps in precarious financial situations, some the usual suspects, others new. There are stories of corps living hand to mouth, others not paying bills and salaries. Then there are some who supposedly have more than enough.  It’s also hard to know what is true and what is not true as far as finances are concerned. My guess, and this is only speculation, it will all depend on which corps have unpaid debt and are surviving due to lines of credit. Managing debt with no income is next to impossible and corps in the past have learned it is easier to raise funds to move forward than it is to pay for prior seasons. I think it would also be easier to raise funds to maintain equipment and buildings, pay rent, and other off season costs than it would be to pay past bills.

My question that is closely related: if there is an abbreviated 2021 season, how many WC corps can afford to field a corps? There will be a savings on travel, but there will also be fewer shows and parades which means fewer performance fees and revenues, schools may not be available for overnight stays which will mean college dorms or hotels Which will be costly, chances are there will some corps without a home show which means less alumni revenue, especially for corps like Cadets, BAC, Cavies, Madison, BK, Troopers, and Crown who rely so heavily on home show revenues,  and less revenue from souvenir booths. These considerations, more than a vaccine and treatment plan, could be what sidelines 2021. 

And if the season is abbreviated, how many members are willing to pay typical corps fees? We were in what seemed like a thousand shows a year (starting before Memorial Day) and that is what gassed us. If the 2021 tour is cut to a dozen or so shows, would you pay $4000+? I wouldn’t. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Probably not high on everyone’s radar but out here in Hawaii (where SCV’s 2018-2019 (and ‘20) superscreamer came from and where he attends college at UH) two of our county mayors (our municipal government structure is different) are very wary of the October 15th “Mainland to Hawaii” tourist opening with those having a negative test 72 hours prior to travel exempt from our 14 day quarantine. The kicker is, ** interisland  travel ** by residents like myself hasn’t been addressed...I can travel to Honolulu County (Oahu) and not be subject to quarantine; however, coming back to my “home” county (Hawaii/Big Island) I am subject to quarantine UNLESS my trip is under a medical exemption (which I have to apply for, as my eye doctor is on Oahu) AND my trip out & back from Hilo Intl Airport takes place the same day. Anyone from a Neighbor Island (Maui, Molokai, Lanai, Kauai, Big Island) TO Oahu is okay, going back home; you’re toast if you stay even one night. 

The mayors of Kauai & the Big Island think one test isn’t enough and that a 2nd test should be done 72 hours AFTER a Mainland visitor (or returning resident from the Mainland) arrives on a Neighbor Island. During that 72 hours, they’d be quarantined. As you might imagine, our state Governor Ige is against this. 

If you’re confused, try living here. Meanwhile, the politicking and finger pointing in the media is beyond surreal. No one is in charge, no one knows what’s going on, and no one will admit what they’ve done. 

Edited by TRacer

14 hours ago, wolfgang said:

If delayed until 2022, how many of the 22 2019 WC corps do we guesstimate will make it to the field.

According to prevailing DCI policies, none.  A two-year absence from field competition means automatic forfeiture of WC and member status.  Anyone returning in 2022 would have to be in open-class (provided they pass evaluation).

After that, recently enacted policy changes require that a corps looking to move up to world-class demonstrate three years of meeting a raft of financial metrics that certainly no one will meet in 2021 if the season is cancelled.  So the earliest we would have any WC corps would be 2025. 

(And the earliest we would have any member corps again would be 2027, due to additional requirements that new WC corps must meet in their first two years in WC before obtaining member status.)

59 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

According to prevailing DCI policies, none.  A two-year absence from field competition means automatic forfeiture of WC and member status.  Anyone returning in 2022 would have to be in open-class (provided they pass evaluation).

After that, recently enacted policy changes require that a corps looking to move up to world-class demonstrate three years of meeting a raft of financial metrics that certainly no one will meet in 2021 if the season is cancelled.  So the earliest we would have any WC corps would be 2025. 

(And the earliest we would have any member corps again would be 2027, due to additional requirements that new WC corps must meet in their first two years in WC before obtaining member status.)

As we are often reminded, DCI is the member corps, and my guess is that if anyone at DCI tried to interpret this policy so rigidly, it would be revised immediately if not sooner. I think it would also be argued that the corps were not absent from the competition field, DCI did not provide the opportunities and states and localities prohibited groups from gathering. 

That being said, while you can waive the non competitive season, the corps have to be financially sound and waiving those requirements could be disastrous. 

9 hours ago, TRacer said:

Probably not high on everyone’s radar but out here in Hawaii (where SCV’s 2018-2019 (and ‘20) superscreamer came from and where he attends college at UH) two of our county mayors (our municipal government structure is different) are very wary of the October 15th “Mainland to Hawaii” tourist opening with those having a negative test 72 hours prior to travel exempt from our 14 day quarantine. The kicker is, ** interisland  travel ** by residents like myself hasn’t been addressed...I can travel to Honolulu County (Oahu) and not be subject to quarantine; however, coming back to my “home” county (Hawaii/Big Island) I am subject to quarantine UNLESS my trip is under a medical exemption (which I have to apply for, as my eye doctor is on Oahu) AND my trip out & back from Hilo Intl Airport takes place the same day. Anyone from a Neighbor Island (Maui, Molokai, Lanai, Kauai, Big Island) TO Oahu is okay, going back home; you’re toast if you stay even one night. 

The mayors of Kauai & the Big Island think one test isn’t enough and that a 2nd test should be done 72 hours AFTER a Mainland visitor (or returning resident from the Mainland) arrives on a Neighbor Island. During that 72 hours, they’d be quarantined. As you might imagine, our state Governor Ige is against this. 

If you’re confused, try living here. Meanwhile, the politicking and finger pointing in the media is beyond surreal. No one is in charge, no one knows what’s going on, and no one will admit what they’ve done. 

Valid point.  When I was stationed in Okinawa (in USAF), there was a guy back at headquarters (Hickam AFB) who lived in Hilo (Big Island) & commuted via Aloha Air every day to Oahu.  Back then they had flights every hour to Big Island, Maui, & Kauai & many people used them to commute.  

To bring this back around to Drum Corps - have there ever been any Corps from Hawai'i that have competed on the mainland?  I know there is a HS band that used to show up in Rose Bowl parade.

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

To bring this back around to Drum Corps - have there ever been any Corps from Hawai'i that have competed on the mainland?  I know there is a HS band that used to show up in Rose Bowl parade.

That was an “all star” type band from the islands that I’m pretty sure had an SCV alum from the late 70’s on their staff. There aren’t a ton of DC alums out here; in 2019 I think we had about a dozen-ish kids march DCI spread amongst SCV, Mandarins, Gold and Blue Stars. We even arranged a “welcome home” pickup at HNL airport as they came back on the same flight.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tim K said:

Very valid and insightful, Tim. The reality is that the drum corps activity isn't going to be the same after all this; even when an effective vaccine is available. The coronavirus was/is an unprecedented event that the world wasn't ready for. We all knew something like this would eventually happen; however, as a global society, we just weren't prepared. As a result, a lot of things have and will continue to change. I just can't see a 2021 season happening. All the corps, including the mighty Blue Devils, will somehow be affected by the cancellation of this year and next year, should it come to that. Unfortunately, there will be some corps in, both, DCI and DCA that won't survive. Those that do will, more-than-likely, be in somewhat of a tabula rasa situation.