Hazing Past and Present.

Drum Corps recent issues with harassment and other sexual misconduct caused some actions to be taken after the fact by DCI and the corps themselves. 

Is Hazing the topic some should be looking for conduct codes etc? What was it like in the past? Have some of those actions changed or are they still going on? Is this the next topic that will have a scandal? 

Edited by E3D
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, E3D said:

Drum Corps recent issues with harassment and other sexual misconduct caused some actions to be taken after the fact by DCI and the corps themselves. 

Is Hazing the topic some should be looking for conduct codes etc? What was it like in the past? Have some of those actions changed or are they still going on? Is this the next topic that will have a scandal? 

In the ‘70s, I was in five different corps. I was never hazed.

2 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Rookies had to carry Tom Float's luggage!

Kidding.  Never happened in our corps, but as a SAE pledge in college.........different story.

Yeah, Delta Sigma Phi was a completely different matter!  

there was some teasing of rookies and giving them crap jobs, but nothing like i saw in frats in college

• Like 1

We had the snuggie in BD....the act or forcefully removing the victim's shorts the wrong way.  I think I still hold the record with three.

I never thought of it as true hazing, tho...I got 2 of  them after doing something stupid (interrupting Mike Moxley during an after-show talk, and one other incident I've forgotten), plus one during a camp on my birthday....like IMMEDIATELY after midnight.   Happy 20th...now you can sing soprano as well as play it!

• Haha 1

Sadly i never marched as i don't have a ounce of musical talent in my bones. But as i am currently active duty in the Navy, when i crossed the equator for the first time back in January 1998, i got hazed big time. Didn't think too much of it at the time, all i knew is everyone before me did it, so i was following tradition that i was a Pollywog and needed to go thru this "Ceremony" to become a Shellback. Being that i was 20 years old and a E1, I was too scared to question anything. Knowing what i know now as a Navy Chief, i was hazed and practically tortured lol. I remember our Work Center Supervisor made me and four other guys in my division put on dresses and we had to be the Spice Girls. Since i am African American i had to be Scary Spice lol. He had a tape recorder and walked us all over the ship, when he pressed play the Spice Girls song "Wannabe played and we had to sing and dance lol.  Later that night we got taken down to the engineering main spaces where NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM..........hot sauce up the you know where was just one of the horrific and terrifying events we was forced to do. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chief Guns said:

Sadly i never marched as i don't have a ounce of musical talent in my bones. But as i am currently active duty in the Navy, when i crossed the equator for the first time back in January 1998, i got hazed big time. Didn't think too much of it at the time, all i knew is everyone before me did it, so i was following tradition that i was a Pollywog and needed to go thru this "Ceremony" to become a Shellback. Being that i was 20 years old and a E1, I was too scared to question anything. Knowing what i know now as a Navy Chief, i was hazed and practically tortured lol. I remember our Work Center Supervisor made me and four other guys in my division put on dresses and we had to be the Spice Girls. Since i am African American i had to be Scary Spice lol. He had a tape recorder and walked us all over the ship, when he pressed play the Spice Girls song "Wannabe played and we had to sing and dance lol.  Later that night we got taken down to the engineering main spaces where NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM..........hot sauce up the you know where was just one of the horrific and terrifying events we was forced to do. 

1992 as a Marine it was hell as you describe. Sons of Neptune. Used to have a card for my wallet. 

With respect to Drum Corps - I know of an incident that is very similar to your hot sauce. The "selective" hazing that was done (first hand knowledge) in drum corps were done by people who are now in high positions or high regard with drum corps. As I mention it was "selective" and not very nice. 

I was interested if corps do it today as I believe it is very traumatic for some if not most who experience it. Especially if they are minors. 

• Like 1