Top Marching Band State

Texas is know to have the most marching talent to date.  Especially, top 12 Dci finalists corps.   How would rate the top 10 states for marching & DCI talent? Is California number 2? What do you think?

1 hour ago, gregory11 said:

Texas is know to have the most marching talent to date.  Especially, top 12 Dci finalists corps.   How would rate the top 10 states for marching & DCI talent? Is California number 2? What do you think?

Not sure about the premise that Texas has the most marching talent, but I've always wondered why they've never produced a top-tier Drum Corps.  I've concluded it must be the weather.  

• Like 1

I would guess that it would be a toss-up between California, Illinois, and Texas.  Someone with too much time on their hands (or someone searching for an excuse to avoid working) should look at the top ten high school bands from, say, the last 20 years, and see who has the most representatives.  I can't imagine that there exists a database that would show us the state of origin for all DCI World Class members from any particular year, but that would be another rough measure.  Keep in mind, though, that either of these metrics would correlate highly with income (of the school districts for the bands, of the individuals for DCI), so it would be as much a measure of opportunity as of talent. It also leaves out school districts where there is amazing talent, but where the local directors chose to emphasize orchestra and wind ensemble rather than marching band.

Texas treats music programs with an importance everywhere else reserves for sports only

• Like 1

A majority of California high schools do not have marching band.

Outside of a few major programs, there aren't many school with marching bands.

My opinion:

1. Texas
  2. Indiana
  3. California
  4. Oklahoma
  5. Illinois

After that, 5-10 are a bit more difficult to list.

Florida and Ohio have a few really good groups. Kentucky and Michigan both also hold up pretty well. To round out the top 10, maybe Missouri?

• Like 1

Texas and Indiana are 1 and 1A (depending on your preference).

Just a thought to consider.  Texas has what's called the "8 hour rule" which limits the amount of rehearsals you can have outside of the school to 8hrs for the calendar week.  Monday-Sunday, 8 hours TOTAL rehearsal time allowed outside of the school day.  

Groups like Marcus, LD Bell, Duncanville, Westfield, Spring, Vandegrift, Reagan, Leander, Cedar Park, Johnson, Churchill (I'm just trying to think of the groups that have attended and placed well at BOA Grand Nationals in the past).  These groups have done what they've done in significantly less time than the groups they are competing against nationwide.

IMO, if BOA ever decided to move Grand Nationals to Dallas, San Antonio or Houston, we would see a SIGNIFICANTLY different finals line up and several groups that are perennial finalists would be done on Friday.  The actual Grand Nationals takes place in San Antonio the week before.It's an amazing line up of bands.

• Like 1