Other Shows Cancelled for Health?

Yeah I hadn’t hit my second gallon of caffeine so problems with posting is a given....

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Like what?

(Sincere question.  Jeff said many things... not sure which you refer to.)

Your patience is amazing. Do you work at target? Are you a jet? 

Edited by E3D
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Pandemic, local outbreak in show location, corps hit with health issues (had few of them since 2000), and that polio thing that is thought I read somewhere is what I was thinking of

My uncle was telling me about them missing school due to the Polio outbreak in the 50s.  I forgot how long he said they were out but it was deemed pretty serious. 

Fortunately I do not get sick very often, but when I am not feeling well, I only want to be in my bed or in my recliner since I don’t have a TV in my room. The absolute worst place I can think of being sick is on a DCI tour. Sleeping bags in a gym, locker room bathrooms that have been used by who knows how many people, or worse a bus, does not sound appealing. So any time there is a “plague” that hits a corps, they have my sympathy.

I have never heard of a drum corps show being cancelled due to illness. Those who have the 1976 Legacy DVD know there were concerns about finals in Philadelphia due to an earlier outbreak of Legionnaire’s Disease. I have heard of color guard contests being cancelled not so much because the guard members were sick, but due to the school being unavailable due to illness. During flu season it’s not uncommon for schools to sanitize the building on weekends if there are enough absences due to illness. 

4 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I have never heard of a drum corps show being cancelled due to illness. Those who have the 1976 Legacy DVD know there were concerns about finals in Philadelphia due to an earlier outbreak of Legionnaire’s Disease. I have heard of color guard contests being cancelled not so much because the guard members were sick, but due to the school being unavailable due to illness. During flu season it’s not uncommon for schools to sanitize the building on weekends if there are enough absences due to illness. 

Have the 1975 legacy but not 1976 so didn’t know Legionnaires disease was mentioned. Always creepy to me as earlier that year did a Do As You Please bus trip to Philly. End of the day met the bus at the Bellevue-Stratford which was the hotel that got hit. 😰

Slight corps connection as a local (upstate?) Corps was there and the bus driver came down with LD and died from it.

8 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

The question was whether shows (other than the obvious 2020, I presume) have been cancelled due to "health concerns"... so I answered it.  IMO, heat exhaustion, heat stroke, and slip/fall injuries are "health concerns"; let me know if you disagree.  Lightning, on the other hand, is not a matter of opinion.  There have been injuries and at least one fatality I recall due to lightning strikes at corps rehearsals.

I think the lightening incident happened to the Des Plaines Vanguard from Illinois. 

40 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Fortunately I do not get sick very often, but when I am not feeling well, I only want to be in my bed or in my recliner since I don’t have a TV in my room. The absolute worst place I can think of being sick is on a DCI tour. Sleeping bags in a gym, locker room bathrooms that have been used by who knows how many people, or worse a bus, does not sound appealing. So any time there is a “plague” that hits a corps, they have my sympathy.

Back in 71, we (Cadets) were performing at a show in Northbrook, Ill. We stayed at a HS nearby where we rehearsed and slept...and ate. Somehow, a good portion of the corps got some kind of bug or food poisoning. The football field at the HS was (seemingly) about 2 miles from the school and BATHROOMS. There was a constant stream of members running back and forth from the field to the school all day long. It was not a sight to behold, for sure!

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, MikeD said:

I think the lightening incident happened to the Des Plaines Vanguard from Illinois. 

Skyliners at a rehearsal in the 80s(?) also. One killed and couple of members hurt pretty badly. They didn’t compete early part of the season. Saw them do a standstill at Hershey and a few were still limping.

1975 had a local HS band member killed by lightning. Remember it because last rehearsal before we left for DCA a bad storm hit. Our horn instructor was a local HS band director so he opened up the band room for us to hunker down. Horrible loud thunder and couple of members looking green (they might have been members of the band). We didn’t even talk about the show, just waited until it was over and left.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Like what?

(Sincere question.  Jeff said many things... not sure which you refer to.)

well....what happens if a corps gets several positive cases? you have to quarantine everyone...where? a hotel? a school? do the healthy members keep going and eave the sick ones behind? when word gets out, do other corps want to be near them? will facilities house them or host shows?

the possible negative impacts are staggering.