Other Shows Cancelled for Health?

7 hours ago, skevinp said:

Once we have an effective vaccine, if all corps members and staff are required to be vaccinated, it seems like tour might actually be a safer place to be than wherever they would be if the season has been cancelled.  

i have thought all along any attempts to have a season without a vaccine is flirting with danger. Granted, if there is a vaccine, all corps and personnel will be fine. The audience is a different story 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Right now, that is true.  That is why we are cancelling events here in 2020.

But that is not what I was asking.  Continental asserted that something you said elsewhere is germane to this thread (or what Continental believes to be the "objective" of this thread, still unstated). 

So far, this thread has been asking whether drum corps shows, or appearances of individual corps at such shows, have been impacted by disease concerns prior to 2020.  So far, the answers show that individual corps have taken a sick day on occasion, and one corps had to take several such sick days in succession... but no entire events have been cancelled on that account. 

Of course, no other drum corps seasons have had the kind of pandemic/quarantine situations that we face here in 2020.  So if anyone thinks drum corps history holds some sort of profound relevance to the challenges it faces today, they will have to be specific.

the problem is plans need solidified NOW, and we don't have enough information to have a true blue game plan for 2021. This isn't going to suddenly be resolved after 11/3. There's too many parts, and depending on the testing requirements, not enough money for corps to do it safely. I'd be highly surprised in most places if a school lets a corps in. Housing was a big enough challenge before this. 

Someone asked what could be the consequences could be based on comments on a now closed thread. So I threw some of them here so people wouldn't have to go digging. Pardon me for trying to be nice and helping give reference to comments mentioned from elsewhere

21 minutes ago, Continental said:

Jim - by chance do you have a Keurig?

I find the coffee weak with them.  I have to get dark roast to even come close to "normal" yet it's not the same. This may explain why you are so patient.

You drink a lot of coffee but it's not the same amount of caffeine. 

JIm...hit up Dunkin. Hell you could walk

20 minutes ago, Continental said:

Jim - by chance do you have a Keurig?

I find the coffee weak with them.  I have to get dark roast to even come close to "normal" yet it's not the same. This may explain why you are so patient.

You drink a lot of coffee but it's not the same amount of caffeine. 

You’re saying I need more caffeine? 🤪

On my second Keurig after burning out the first one. Get all types of pods at Ollie’s Bargin store so least get a variety. My wife and I burned out a Mr Coffee (thank you Joe DiMaggio) so long term addict. 🤫😬 Yeah Mr Coffee was definitely Mr Caffeine. And that was powered by Dunkin..:

3 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

JIm...hit up Dunkin. Hell you could walk

Can buy a box of pods at Ollie’s and get change back for price of a large hazelnut hot cappuccino at Dunkin.... (my go to buzz there)

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

the problem is plans need solidified NOW, and we don't have enough information to have a true blue game plan for 2021. This isn't going to suddenly be resolved after 11/3. There's too many parts, and depending on the testing requirements, not enough money for corps to do it safely. I'd be highly surprised in most places if a school lets a corps in. Housing was a big enough challenge before this. 

Still do not see what this has to do with the history of drum corps cancellations.  But we can discuss anyway.

I hear you - there are numerous obstacles to re-establishing DCI touring, and I do not see any of them being resolved on or by 11/3, for whatever significance that date would have.  I doubt DCI has to decide by 11/3.  But the clock is ticking, and if not enough of the issues resolve satisfactorily, far enough in advance, 2021 tour faces curtailment or cancellation. 

Someone asked what could be the consequences could be based on comments on a now closed thread. So I threw some of them here so people wouldn't have to go digging. Pardon me for trying to be nice and helping give reference to comments mentioned from elsewhere

No pardon necessary.  

Thank you for being responsive and answering a question directly.  The world would be a better place if more people could do that.

The framework is there for reservations and potential bookings of stadiums and housing all with a possibility of money back guarantee in cancellation in contract. Guidelines are obviously dictating what will be permitted come summer 2021.  My own personal feelings are if we make it to spring training all systems are a go even if a modified season.

Edited by darlacorp

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

On my second Keurig after burning out the first one. Get all types of pods at Ollie’s Bargin store so least get a variety. My wife and I burned out a Mr Coffee (thank you Joe DiMaggio) so long term addict. 🤫😬 Yeah Mr Coffee was definitely Mr Caffeine. And that was powered by Dunkin..:

I have found very few K-cup coffee brands that taste good using a Keurig.  Dunkin Donut's Keurig cups create colored water.  McDonald's Keurig cups create colored water.  

I ended up getting reusable cups and buying ground coffee.  That made a difference. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

:lol::whistle::lol:

"Keurig is deceptively expensive, environmentally wasteful, and worst of all, its design eliminates some of the best experiences of buying, brewing, and drinking coffee."

"Keurig’s packaging is a big “F you” to the environment. As Mother Jones puts it, in 2013  Green Mountain produced 8.3 billion K-Cups–or enough 2″x2″ containers to circle the globe 10.5 times. It’s enough to even make the K-Cup’s inventor renounce his own invention."

6 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I don't recall lightning w/ DPV, but there was a time (1960s?) when they were practicing in a hanger at O'Hare Airport & a plane crashed into the hanger killing at least one member.

Ah, that must be what I am remembering about their tragedy.