Other Shows Cancelled for Health?

Sounds like a question for history section but relates to today so putting it here (where the action is).

In the last few years we have had corps cancel out of shows due to health reasons. IIRC it was food poisoning or flu going through the ranks. Pre WWII found a historical entry from one of my old corps that they didn’t go to a show due to county polio epidemic. 

But  has there ever been a show cancelled due to health concerns?

• Confused 1

Sure.  Happens all the time.

Shows have been stopped due to lightning in close proximity to the show venue.

Shows have been relocated indoors or changed to standstills due to wet conditions making maneuvering dangerous for the participants.

More violent weather, such as an approaching tornado, has caused outright cancellation of the remainder of events already in progress.

IIRC, excessive heat may have caused a contest to be altered to a concert.

Most contests in the early 1940s were cancelled due to the health threat posed by an axis of evil and their worldwide warfare.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Sounds like a question for history section but relates to today so putting it here (where the action is).

In the last few years we have had corps cancel out of shows due to health reasons. IIRC it was food poisoning or flu going through the ranks. Pre WWII found a historical entry from one of my old corps that they didn’t go to a show due to county polio epidemic. 

But  has there ever been a show cancelled due to health concerns?

As expected, the replies are weather related.

Perhaps not wanting to die from lightning and tornadoes is considered "health" as in "I do not want to die from being flung off the field when an F5 Tornado barrels through the stadium."

Corps have had ailments go through on multiple occasions.  I think they have dealt with them well.

But with Covid-19 the ramifications are much more complicated. 

• Confused 1

i believe that I have read that the 1955 VFW Nationals in Boston were affected by corps deciding not to travel to Boston because of fears of polio. There were only 11 corps in junior corps prelims, most of them from Massachusetts.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Sure.  Happens all the time.

Shows have been stopped due to lightning in close proximity to the show venue.

Shows have been relocated indoors or changed to standstills due to wet conditions making maneuvering dangerous for the participants.

More violent weather, such as an approaching tornado, has caused outright cancellation of the remainder of events already in progress.

IIRC, excessive heat may have caused a contest to be altered to a concert.

Most contests in the early 1940s were cancelled due to the health threat posed by an axis of evil and their worldwide warfare.

Not exactly what I was looking for but thanks anyway....

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, traverbanking said:

i believe that I have read that the 1955 VFW Nationals in Boston were affected by corps deciding not to travel to Boston because of fears of polio. There were only 11 corps in junior corps prelims, most of them from Massachusetts.

Must have read this somewhere (History of DC book?) as polio and AL was in the back of my mind. Will have to check further but good starting point. Thank you....

note to self: most complete VFW results are in HODC Vol 1 and not the 2 websites I usually check 😫

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Continental said:

As expected, the replies are weather related.

Perhaps not wanting to die from lightning and tornadoes is considered "health" as in "I do not want to die from being flung off the field when an F5 Tornado barrels through the stadium."

Corps have had ailments go through on multiple occasions.  I think they have dealt with them well.

But with Covid-19 the ramifications are much more complicated. 

The question was whether shows (other than the obvious 2020, I presume) have been cancelled due to "health concerns"... so I answered it.  IMO, heat exhaustion, heat stroke, and slip/fall injuries are "health concerns"; let me know if you disagree.  Lightning, on the other hand, is not a matter of opinion.  There have been injuries and at least one fatality I recall due to lightning strikes at corps rehearsals.

The 1955 VFW Nationals were still held in Boston despite concerns about a polio outbreak that caused corps (Audubon and Sac, for example) to cancel their plans to participate while others (i.e. St. Vincent's) still competed there.  That is the closest thing outside of 2020 that springs to my admittedly limited memory; I do not recall an event cancellation over a disease concern.  Do you know of any?

3 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

“Do you know of any” (stupid editor)

No I do not know of any, that is why I asked....

As for disagreeing i was not thinking of weather related as been through a few of those myself.... those I do know of

Edited by JimF-LowBari

16 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Must have read this somewhere (History of DC book?) as polio and AL was in the back of my mind. Will have to check further but good starting point. Thank you....

note to self: most complete VFW results are in HODC Vol 1 and not the 2 websites I usually check 😫

Jim I knew what you were referencing in this day and age of a pandemic.

We can pretend otherwise with some posters.   Weather related phenomenon have affected the activity since the beginning. 

5 minutes ago, Continental said:

Jim I knew what you were referencing in this day and age of a pandemic.

We can pretend otherwise with some posters.   Weather related phenomenon have affected the activity since the beginning. 

Pandemic, local outbreak in show location, corps hit with health issues (had few of them since 2000), and that polio thing that is thought I read somewhere is what I was thinking of

Edited by JimF-LowBari