Other Shows Cancelled for Health?


Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

I can only answer the questions he asks, not the unstated "objectives" you impose on them.  If you have an "objective" you want me to speak to, state it.

Oh, that is a whole different question.

I know that an unabridged list of "sick days" at the full corps level is way beyond my memory alone.  A few that spring to mind:

2015 Cavaliers were a singular instance I recall, in that the stomach virus or whatever it was impacted the corps for several weeks.  They dropped out of a few shows, and downgraded to exhibition status at least one other time due to over a dozen absences from the ranks.

Late in the 2019 season, Genesis pulled out of one show due to illness, and Troopers did the same at another show a couple of days later.

Academy withdrew from one of the Texas shows in 2018 on account of illness.

Phantom Regiment missed a show very late in the 2016 season due to illness.

2009 was a rough year, as upper respiratory viruses impacted several corps (Carolina Crown, Mandarins, Glassmen) badly enough to cause each of them to take a unit sick day on a scheduled contest day.

My memory says Blue Stars missed a show for illness at some point in the past dozen years, but not recalling when.

This sort of thing happened in earlier years as well, but the details escape me.

I believe Cadets had an issue for a few days before Allentown in 18

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

over 220,000 dead in 7 months....it's destroying lives in many ways. 

Just to clarify, I quoted Jim not because I was demanding an answer from him personally, but to build on what he was saying, to propose a potential solution whose efficacy I am not qualified to speak

And another way of looking at it is... what is it now?  Latest rolling averages are 785 deaths vs. 58650 cases, a case fatality rate of 1.3%.  Considering that in mid-April, it went as high as 7.

5 hours ago, Continental said:

All that caffeine and yet you are still so patient.

coffee is my emotional support beverage

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MikeD said:

I think the lightening incident happened to the Des Plaines Vanguard from Illinois. 

Skyliners in the 80's

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

well....what happens if a corps gets several positive cases? you have to quarantine everyone...where? a hotel? a school? do the healthy members keep going and eave the sick ones behind? when word gets out, do other corps want to be near them? will facilities house them or host shows?

 

the possible negative impacts are staggering.

Once we have an effective vaccine, if all corps members and staff are required to be vaccinated, it seems like tour might actually be a safer place to be than wherever they would be if the season has been cancelled.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Many of you remember back in 2015 when The Cavaliers got hit pretty hard. They cancelled out of the Atlanta show and only performed a standstill at Nightbeat. I hosted them for a couple days after the Nightbeat show before they went on to Annapolis and Allentown.  Our facility was only a few years old and we had the ability to quarantine 38 marching members in a separate auxiliary gym and quarantine separate showers.  I am proud to say they left with only a few members that were still sick.  This may be one of my proudest accomplishments as a FMM for the corps.

Unfortunately, not all schools have multiple gyms and multiple shower facilities to accommodate a "Quarantine" and as Jeff Ream mentioned, this can compound beyond imagination.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

well....what happens if a corps gets several positive cases? you have to quarantine everyone...where? a hotel? a school? do the healthy members keep going and eave the sick ones behind? when word gets out, do other corps want to be near them? will facilities house them or host shows?

 

the possible negative impacts are staggering.

Right now, that is true.  That is why we are cancelling events here in 2020.

But that is not what I was asking.  Continental asserted that something you said elsewhere is germane to this thread (or what Continental believes to be the "objective" of this thread, still unstated). 

So far, this thread has been asking whether drum corps shows, or appearances of individual corps at such shows, have been impacted by disease concerns prior to 2020.  So far, the answers show that individual corps have taken a sick day on occasion, and one corps had to take several such sick days in succession... but no entire events have been cancelled on that account. 

Of course, no other drum corps seasons have had the kind of pandemic/quarantine situations that we face here in 2020.  So if anyone thinks drum corps history holds some sort of profound relevance to the challenges it faces today, they will have to be specific.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Right now, that is true.  That is why we are cancelling events here in 2020.

But that is not what I was asking.  Continental asserted that something you said elsewhere is germane to this thread (or what Continental believes to be the "objective" of this thread, still unstated). 

So far, this thread has been asking whether drum corps shows, or appearances of individual corps at such shows, have been impacted by disease concerns prior to 2020.  So far, the answers show that individual corps have taken a sick day on occasion, and one corps had to take several such sick days in succession... but no entire events have been cancelled on that account. 

Of course, no other drum corps seasons have had the kind of pandemic/quarantine situations that we face here in 2020.  So if anyone thinks drum corps history holds some sort of profound relevance to the challenges it faces today, they will have to be specific.

So I was just about to reply with respect to the assertion that something was said in another thread that directly pertained to the subject of this thread. Obviously not.

Other than weather related I can't remember entire shows or series of shows cancelled due to health reasons. 

Skyriders 🌈 missed more than a few shows I believe due to buses being condemned or deemed unsafe for travel on the roads. Believe that all went down in Colorado. 1987 tour. But again that was just one corps safety and I find it fishy that the Colorado department of transportation suddenly took an interest in just the skyriders buses. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

 So if anyone thinks drum corps history holds some sort of profound relevance to the challenges it faces today, they will have to be specific.

Just to clear up things comparing the past to 2020 was not the original intent of the thread. Being a history buff I often think of past events when something new hits. Was just trying to fill in some of that past.

carry on... nicely 😜

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Just to clear up things comparing the past to 2020 was not the original intent of the thread. Being a history buff I often think of past events when something new hits. Was just trying to fill in some of that past.

carry on... nicely 😜

Jim - by chance do you have a Keurig?

I find the coffee weak with them.  I have to get dark roast to even come close to "normal" yet it's not the same. This may explain why you are so patient.

You drink a lot of coffee but it's not the same amount of caffeine. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, MikeD said:

I think the lightening incident happened to the Des Plaines Vanguard from Illinois. 

I don't recall lightning w/ DPV, but there was a time (1960s?) when they were practicing in a hanger at O'Hare Airport & a plane crashed into the hanger killing at least one member.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • JohnZ locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.