What Is the Latest from DCI/Corps on 2021?

Time is running out on the '21 season, too much to plan for with no set of guidelines to plan with...unfortunately. With that in mind, expect roughly half of the corps able to field a competitive drum corps in '22, and at a significant downgrade in quality for most, if not all the programs. People have to make a living, even if it's not what they love or enjoy. I'm  thinking the question is...will drum corps be able to rebuild over the coming decades?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I got my English Toffee cappo (cappuccino) and the wee beastie Bichon is sleeping so peaceful here..

I'm still thinking about your cappuccino Jim....

I'm wondering if I can sort of create the same thing by putting a couple of Werthers Originals into a cup of Maxwell House... 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Continental said:

I can't imagine the effort required to build a contingency plan right now.  

Hitting a moving target, herding cats... on top of that how much money can you spend to set up plans with amount of current funding. Might be waiting for events to unfold so not spending money on anything that becomes OBEd (overcome by events).

10 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Good thing the drum corps season is not right now, then.

This is the second time I have seen testing brought up in this context.  I have to ask... is anyone seriously considering the pro sports bubble/megatesting model as an option for drum corps?  It does not seem either practical or appropriate to me.

The regional membership question cannot be answered until/unless someone tries it and finds out for themselves.  Most likely, no one will make that change because nearly every corps has promised 2021 spots to 2020 members, regardless of geographical origin.

As for the rest, I think it is clear that if all the current restrictions still apply in the summer of 2021, corps will not be touring.

I have already said that if there is any such thing as a "non-essential business", drum corps is it.  No matter what else we say on this topic, I think we both understand the position of the drum corps activity vs. the wider perspective.

the only sports bubbles were the NH, NBA and some post season baseball. MLB and NFL regular season have shown there's risk. heck WWE even created their own sort of bubble in Florida and they have had multiple outbreaks.

With so much unknown this far out, definitive answers are few and far between...and the costs of trying to make it work with enhanced safety implemented has to scare the hell out of directors

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, E3D said:

Some of the trouble is that the corps seem to be hiding from making statements. Pretty weak. 

the trouble is saying something then having to keep coming back and changing it. it's like the medical version of Hop's old blog taking about show design

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Caution: prudent forethought to minimize risk

I thought I’d put that definition out there since @dansseemed to be a bit confused (based on his reaction emoji to my comment) as to why no solid plans have been put out by any corps. Hope that clears things up for ya. 

no thats his way of mocking people

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the only sports bubbles were the NH, NBA and some post season baseball.

Both MLS and NWSL held tournaments in a bubble.  MLS staged theirs in Orlando, while NWSL went to Utah.

18 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

This is the second time I have seen testing brought up in this context.  I have to ask... is anyone seriously considering the pro sports bubble/megatesting model as an option for drum corps?  

14 hours ago, Cappybara said:

If they aren't, then they are setting themselves up for failure. 

How would that apply to drum corps, then?  Just the megatesting?  Or would corps (and their staff/volunteers) be sequestered from the public for the entire period of all-days and contest season?  Would we do the zero-travel version of the bubble, and have all corps hunker down in Utah for two months and run all contests there?

So if DCI runs a short season what would be the cost savings to the corps? Any rough ideas of how much (percentage wise) would be saved?

12 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Caution: prudent forethought to minimize risk

I thought I’d put that definition out there since @dansseemed to be a bit confused (based on his reaction emoji to my comment) as to why no solid plans have been put out by any corps. Hope that clears things up for ya. 

Some corps seemed to have plenty to say during the summer on different subjects. Coming up with a statement should not be to hard for them. 

The comments directed at the reaction emoji is hypocrisy.