What Is the Latest from DCI/Corps on 2021?

1 hour ago, Continental said:

I don't know.  Perhaps you have some ideas as to how virtual would work?  All corps competing at the same location?  What about housing?  I suspect virtual is used as a catch all for a lot of unknowns. 

I was just answering your question about judging.  Seems like there are a number of greater challenges.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Anyway, "virtual" events could transpire in several ways.  It could be merely a means to provide audience access, while the corps and judges still tour.  Or the corps could take turns performing in the same empty venue, with both judges and the general audience watching online.  Or you could have individual corps performances at separate sites, brought together in a common webcast.  Taken to an extreme, a corps can create a virtual performance with individual corps members all sheltering in place at home, participating via Zoom teleconference or similar technology.

Your answer raises some interesting ideas so thank you.

There is the challenge of housing if corps are to perform in the same venue.  Some in the know on here have already stated how challenging housing was before the pandemic.  If schools are resistant to housing, perhaps hotels could accommodate corps members at reduced rates for the short tour.  The hotel industry is as severely affected by current events as many others.  Just a thought.

As for corps member performing via zoom from home (wondering if said in jest), I suspect drill aka "marching and maneuvering" would be affected by the placement of home furnishings.  Formations might not be as perfect as possible due to the lack of space caused by couches, desks, comfy chairs, etc.  Tripping on a throw rug could completely offset a company front.

Would that require a temporary new judging category perhaps called "GF" (General Furnishing)?  If so would it be incorporated as part of GE or Guard?  If cushions are used as part of the performance perhaps it would be part of Guard as they are easy to toss. 

Edited by Continental

46 minutes ago, Continental said:

As for corps member performing via zoom from home (wondering if said in jest)

The DCI "telethon", held on what would have been the night of 2020 finals, included several such Zoom ensembles.  While that is not what is envisioned for a "bridge tour", I imagine that will be the final fallback position for 2021 if all possible "bridge tour" scenarios prove im-possible.

3 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

The DCI "telethon", held on what would have been the night of 2020 finals, included several such Zoom ensembles.  While that is not what is envisioned for a "bridge tour", I imagine that will be the final fallback position for 2021 if all possible "bridge tour" scenarios prove im-possible.

We’re the ensembles stand and play or was drill involved? Have been to bunch of DCA Mini corps shows so that’s why I’m thinking that way. Interesting as can think of a few corps that went the mini route while trying to get back on the field.

1 hour ago, Continental said:

I suspect drill aka "marching and maneuvering" would be affected by the placement of home furnishings.  Formations might not be as perfect as possible due to the lack of space caused by couches, desks, comfy chairs, etc.  Tripping on a throw rug could completely offset a company front.

Would that require a temporary new judging category perhaps called "GF" (General Furnishing)?  If so would it be incorporated as part of GE or Guard?  If cushions are used as part of the performance perhaps it would be part of Guard as they are easy to toss. 

The Couchmen have not had any issues in the past. The one issue they did encounter was the DTCB (distance to cold beverages). I believe at one point penalty's were given to the Ottoman's for disruption of a clear path to cold beverages. Not sure about the specifics. 

• Haha 3

I don’t know that anyone is suggesting that the competitions themselves be virtual, but the competition season is 7 months away.  It seems to me the issue is how much of the pre-season necessities could be approached virtually.

Edited by skevinp
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

We’re the ensembles stand and play or was drill involved? Have been to bunch of DCA Mini corps shows so that’s why I’m thinking that way. Interesting as can think of a few corps that went the mini route while trying to get back on the field.

The DCI "telethon" stuff I saw was all people performing from their homes, with the product somehow assembled/synchronized via Zoom video or similar platform.  There is no "drill" when everyone is alone, but some enterprising efforts included individual auxiliary performers in whatever socially distanced space they had available.  Watching one such guard girl performing world-class simultaneous choreography/flag work on her driveway, all the heart-wrenching pain of a lost 2020 season hit me all at once, and I had to stop watching.

Anyway, this link will give you the idea.  This was a combined performance of members from several corps. I believe.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

The DCI "telethon" stuff I saw was all people performing from their homes, with the product somehow assembled/synchronized via Zoom video or similar platform.  There is no "drill" when everyone is alone, but some enterprising efforts included individual auxiliary performers in whatever socially distanced space they had available.  Watching one such guard girl performing world-class simultaneous choreography/flag work on her driveway, all the heart-wrenching pain of a lost 2020 season hit me all at once, and I had to stop watching.

Anyway, this link will give you the idea.  This was a combined performance of members from several corps. I believe.

Thanks now I have a better idea.

(muttering... can’t get used to the woodwinds though....)

Lol.....virtual competitions.....thats just too funny....furniture incorporated into the drill....wow. Mark my words here ladies and gentlemen....no DCI in 2021, there won't be DCI in 2022! Education boards and policies have been killing music in public schools for decades, might be too big a mountain to climb after taking 2 years off.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1