What Is the Latest from DCI/Corps on 2021?

sadly i'm one of the last groups....so i am guessing June

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

sadly i'm one of the last groups....so i am guessing June

Yesterday New York started allowing people over 65 or with certain 

underlying conditions to register to get the Covid vaccine.

As of yesterday afternoon,the earliest appointments were sometime in April,IF NY gets enough of the vaccine doses.

Still seems like at least June for the general public to get their first shot.

New York's governor has also come up with what he says is a way to have live performances.

The state will open a number of rapid testing centers.

You would need a negative covid test,that day to attend.

Don't think that will work out to well.

No way to plan in advance.

You have a group of people.

One tests positive.

Now what ?

Positive test,quarantine.

Apparently,that being considered for a number or areas/venues.

Edited by rpbobcat
  • Like 1

Honest question - how is DCI staying afloat and able to pay ANY of their bills right now?  They have no revenue coming in from shows and current DVD sales.  Merchandise and older recording revenue is probably minimal at best.  And it could be like this for two years (Spring of 2020 - Spring of 2022).

I understand that they laid off most of their staff, but there still are some employee wages, rent, utilities, etc. that need to get paid.  And I doubt they had savings to be able to pull from.  Did they get any of the COVID-relief money?

With possibly two straight years of little to no income, how are they doing this?

Edited by Quad Aces

Yesterday the USA had the highest daily death toll to date. Things will get worse this winter. The vaccine roll-out in most states is so far a disaster. Perhaps things will begin to change on January 20th. They'd better, or DCI can forget about anything much happening in 2021. 

3 hours ago, Quad Aces said:

Honest question - how is DCI staying afloat and able to pay ANY of their bills right now?

Donations, mostly.  Or, bingo operations for the ones that have been able to resume.  Most corps probably have/had some savings but that little bit of safety net may be gone at some.  They’ve all been holding fundraisers/fund drives ever since 2020 was canceled.

25 minutes ago, Phantom56 said:

Yesterday the USA had the highest daily death toll to date. Things will get worse this winter. The vaccine roll-out in most states is so far a disaster. Perhaps things will begin to change on January 20th. They'd better, or DCI can forget about anything much happening in 2021. 

Hopefully the vaccine rollout will improve quickly.  Less than 30% of the country’s population is 55 and older yet this group makes up over 90% of the deaths (and I’m guessing also constitutes around 90% or more of the hospitalizations though I didn’t see that data readily on the CDC website).  While it would still take more immunizations to stem cases to a really low point, the hospitals wouldn’t be overburdened.

20 minutes ago, Phantom56 said:

All the marching members would need to get vaccinated by late May. Because of their age, they will be the last in line. The timeline may or may not work out. Time will tell. 

Not sure.  The one corps I’ve heard their plan was Covid testing prior to arrival and maybe after arrival.  Planning to be “in a bubble” is what it sounded like.  They did not specifically mention vaccination as a requirement.

6 hours ago, DrummerParent said:

Donations, mostly.  Or, bingo operations for the ones that have been able to resume.  Most corps probably have/had some savings but that little bit of safety net may be gone at some.  They’ve all been holding fundraisers/fund drives ever since 2020 was canceled.

Thanks for the response.  Yes, I agree for the individual corps.

I was wondering more about DCI HQ and their operations in Indianapolis and what’s keeping their doors open.