What Is the Latest from DCI/Corps on 2021?

4 hours ago, camel lips said:

Any corps that is charging kids for audition packs and camp fees should be ashamed of themselves . There is no way in heck the 2021 season is going to unfold and they know it . 

I would say fees are fine with a very serious stipulation that if there is not a 2021 season, the entire fee is refunded. No questions, no promises to apply it to 2022, full refund, end of story. However, with rising debts, and some corps’ reputation of “robbing Peter to lay Paul,” can every corps honor such a policy?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Most charter bus companies are already out of business too. 

Specifically CA (west coast) and NY (east coast) coach lines are either out of business or going out of business. The ones that are not out of business have not had any revenue since March 21st or near that date. Many of the other coach lines in the rest of the country are struggling to not declare bankruptcy.  

• Thanks 1

Do we have any friends in Congress?  Has DCI ever tried to lobby the National Endowment for the Arts?  If not, now might be the time.  Drum Corps is an American Institution that can't be allowed to die.

Ain't too proud to beg. 

6 hours ago, camel lips said:

Any corps that is charging kids for audition packs and camp fees should be ashamed of themselves . There is no way in heck the 2021 season is going to unfold and they know it . 

From what I'm seeing, about a third of the World Class corps have put out information on participating in 2021.  Some are including an audition packet as part of a virtual learning experience with various online components.  Others are offering packets independent of participation in a virtual experience.  There's a wide range of fees from $80 up to $175 depending on the corps and what's all being offered.  I didn't read through all of the fine print, but I did see several that were clearly marked as non-refundable. 

In cases where a virtual component is being administered by qualified staff members, there should in theory be compensation for those staff members.  In addition, there may be expenses the corps will incur as part of administering these online events.  Those factors would make it impractical to offer the online events for free, or offer 100% refunds in the event that the 2021 season is canceled. 

From a risk standpoint - I would assume that most prospective members at this point should understand the potential that the 2021 season will not happen due to the pandemic.  That said, many sports/activities have found ways to continue in some capacity, and it's possible that DCI will find a way as well.

3 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

If it is up to revenues generated from audition packets to ensure a Corps financial survival then that Corps has no business going on tour.

A board member from one of the top 12 corps told me a couple years ago that revenue from audition packets alone accounted for 6 to 8% of their annual budget depending on the year.  Separate audition fees (camp, callback & video) made up another sizable chunk.  While these don't necessarily equate to a corps' financial survival, they do play a significant role in the budgets of the corps.

I don’t have any latest news from DCI/Corps, just an opinion about 2021.

Even a shortened “Bridge” tour leading to a modified Indianapolis Weekend is FAR better to carry on this incredible activity than having no 2021 DCI at all.

The future requires CONTINUITY .

One missed season was already put into the past. It hurt. Time now to move forward!  The many parts required to make all of this work requires cohesion.  A “soft” opening will go a long way. It is critical to keep actively in touch with our foundation. That is, fans, performers, instructional teams, judges, corporate sponsors, media partners, audio/video delivered into our homes, and the list goes on . . . 

Keep positive.  DCI can  do this !

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

The future of DCI requires that many additional components are able to support the activity outside of those that immediately support people marching together on a football field. 

The continuity of DCI, even for a "bridge" tour season, requires that those components be in place.   Safely in place.  You want paying fans?  Ensure safety.   

We have a winter to get through in a period where infections are rising.  Everywhere. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

I don’t have any latest news from DCI/Corps, just an opinion about 2021.

Even a shortened “Bridge” tour leading to a modified Indianapolis Weekend is FAR better to carry on this incredible activity than having no 2021 DCI at all.

One missed season was already put into the past. It hurt. Time now to move forward!  The many parts required to make all of this work requires cohesion.  A “soft” opening will go a long way. It is critical to keep actively in touch with our foundation. That is, fans, performers, instructional teams, judges, corporate sponsors, media partners, audio/video delivered into our homes, and the list goes on . . . 

Keep positive.  DCI can  do this !

I understand that you try to be the positive voice in the face of the many realists (who you would probably call pessimists) on here but things are not looking great right now. 

In addition to the fast-rising number of cases throughout the country, you can very quickly see just how difficult it is to maintain these activities if you look at the NFL. They’re a multi billion dollar business that is currently trying to play out their season. They’ve doled out who knows how much money in order to test their players and staff multiple times a week and yet they are still finding many players testing positive or coming into contact with those who have tested positive and are then having to sit out.

Now keep in mind these players are being PAID to do this. With financials already in a bind for many, just how much participation do you anticipate from marchers being asked to dole out thousands of dollars for a limited season? Do you anticipate schools being willing to house a corps when they’re unwilling to house their own students? Say some corps take a regional approach like Cadets 2, will there be enough people signing up to even justify a season? Will schools allow the use of stadiums for practices and exhibitions when they’re unwilling to do so for their own varsity teams? Who will cleanse the areas after each practice? Will the corps be able to generate enough revenue without an in person audience? If there is an audience, how will social distancing be enforced? What happens if a violation occurs and a school revokes future use? Will corps be held liable for any outbreaks? Wouldn’t most shows violate social distancing guidelines unless marchers are placed 6 feet apart in their sets at all times?

I don’t like talking about the potential demise of this activity so nonchalantly but looking at it from a grander lens, the potential loss of DCI seems so  minor as compared to the greater losses we’re experiencing in this country every day. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I understand that you try to be the positive voice in the face of the many realists (who you would probably call pessimists) on here but things are not looking great right now. 

Good thing the drum corps season is not right now, then.

In addition to the fast-rising number of cases throughout the country, you can very quickly see just how difficult it is to maintain these activities if you look at the NFL. They’re a multi billion dollar business that is currently trying to play out their season. They’ve doled out who knows how much money in order to test their players and staff multiple times a week and yet they are still finding many players testing positive or coming into contact with those who have tested positive and are then having to sit out.

Now keep in mind these players are being PAID to do this. With financials already in a bind for many, just how much participation do you anticipate from marchers being asked to dole out thousands of dollars for a limited season?

This is the second time I have seen testing brought up in this context.  I have to ask... is anyone seriously considering the pro sports bubble/megatesting model as an option for drum corps?  It does not seem either practical or appropriate to me.

Do you anticipate schools being willing to house a corps when they’re unwilling to house their own students? Say some corps take a regional approach like Cadets 2, will there be enough people signing up to even justify a season? Will schools allow the use of stadiums for practices and exhibitions when they’re unwilling to do so for their own varsity teams? Who will cleanse the areas after each practice? Will the corps be able to generate enough revenue without an in person audience? If there is an audience, how will social distancing be enforced? What happens if a violation occurs and a school revokes future use? Will corps be held liable for any outbreaks? Wouldn’t most shows violate social distancing guidelines unless marchers are placed 6 feet apart in their sets at all times?

The regional membership question cannot be answered until/unless someone tries it and finds out for themselves.  Most likely, no one will make that change because nearly every corps has promised 2021 spots to 2020 members, regardless of geographical origin.

As for the rest, I think it is clear that if all the current restrictions still apply in the summer of 2021, corps will not be touring.

I don’t like talking about the potential demise of this activity so nonchalantly but looking at it from a grander lens, the potential loss of DCI seems so  minor as compared to the greater losses we’re experiencing in this country every day. 

I have already said that if there is any such thing as a "non-essential business", drum corps is it.  No matter what else we say on this topic, I think we both understand the position of the drum corps activity vs. the wider perspective.