What Is the Latest from DCI/Corps on 2021?

49 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

So if DCI runs a short season what would be the cost savings to the corps? Any rough ideas of how much (percentage wise) would be saved?

With all the unknowns is it even possible to save money with a shortened season?  One unexpected event could be disastrous financially.

One thing that comes to mind is will corps be able to get affordable insurance should they move forward with a shortened season?  I may be wrong, but I'm thinking that costs like this are going to be significantly more expensive than they were in the past.   The fine print on insurance contracts will probably be much longer than the usual boilerplate. 

Edited by Continental
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, Continental said:

With all the unknowns is it even possible to save money with a shortened season?  One unexpected event could be disastrous financially.

One thing that comes to mind is will corps be able to get affordable insurance should they move forward with a shortened season?  I may be wrong, but I'm thinking that costs like this are going to be significantly more expensive than they were in the past.   The fine print on insurance contracts will probably be much longer than the usual boilerplate. 

Didn’t think about show insurance or any other insurance members or corps need. Premium cost 😬

5 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Didn’t think about show insurance or any other insurance members or corps need. Premium cost 😬

I can't imagine how this event is going to affect legal contracts going forward.

Up until now, was "pandemic" ever a clause in a legal contract in North America?  Honestly, I don't know, but in the ones I have been exposed to personally, I never saw "pandemic."

2 minutes ago, Continental said:

Imagine what it does to Life Insurance policies going forward. 

Life and health... just thought of my nephew. Had a bad CV case and docs want to monitor him for long term lung damage. Had a life insurance agent have a crap fit because I used to smoke one cigar a month. “If they find that in your blood stream!”. For nephew the answer to “do you have any Heath concerns” might be “check back in 2040. 
Now imagine insurance a corps would need if someone caught CV while with a corps. Need strong waiver against future lawsuits for someone to march.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

How would that apply to drum corps, then?  Just the megatesting?  Or would corps (and their staff/volunteers) be sequestered from the public for the entire period of all-days and contest season?  Would we do the zero-travel version of the bubble, and have all corps hunker down in Utah for two months and run all contests there?

Those are all fantastic questions that I should have added to my original comment to Fred

• Like 1

DCI nor any corps that I have read -  as of today have not made any statements regarding the easy or difficulty on insurance. Same on any waiver statements. So far no news. 

Reading a little about life insurance policies it seems you can still get them and they still honor the policies.

I have a friend who had the wuhan covid-19 they mentioned to him that he might have some lingering lung issues and he has been seeing a pulmonologist for the 2 months now with a couple of Spirometry tests. His results for the FVC and FEV1 started borderline abnormal and is in the normal range the last check.  He was able to get a life insurance policy even without a exam. 

2 minutes ago, E3D said:

DCI nor any corps that I have read -  as of today have not made any statements regarding the easy or difficulty on insurance. Same on any waiver statements. So far no news. 

Reading a little about life insurance policies it seems you can still get them and they still honor the policies.

I have a friend who had the wuhan covid-19 they mentioned to him that he might have some lingering lung issues and he has been seeing a pulmonologist for the 2 months now with a couple of Spirometry tests. His results for the FVC and FEV1 started borderline abnormal and is in the normal range the last check.  He was able to get a life insurance policy even without a exam. 

Getting life and health insurance is one thing... the cost might be another. (Danger Will Robinson another JimF family story). 
Sis in law is working until her husband can go on MediCare. He had cancer twice and a heart attack that his doc can’t figure out how he survived. He is on her group health insurance plan. When she retires they have to get their own insurance. They got an estimate of getting their own and with his pre-existing conditions 😳

To try to bend back to DC... doubt if many members and parents are thinking that far ahead..... 

3 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Getting life and health insurance is one thing... the cost might be another. (Danger Will Robinson another JimF family story). 
Sis in law is working until her husband can go on MediCare. He had cancer twice and a heart attack that his doc can’t figure out how he survived. He is on her group health insurance plan. When she retires they have to get their own insurance. They got an estimate of getting their own and with his pre-existing conditions 😳

To try to bend back to DC... doubt if many members and parents are thinking that far ahead..... 

Speaking of Will Robinson Jim,

Here is a corps management team/staff until we know more.

24cce1bba944289f4fa04b063b68ad29.jpg

• Haha 1

I'm not sure that DCI and the corps are ever going to get into the insurance statements for life or medical. If and when they do I will be interested to read such statements.