ICONIC COLOR GUARD CAPTAINS: Name them

Linda Reike - 1972 Anaheim Kingsmen.  In several sections instructors were also marching members. She was a graceful-regal presence on the field and did a perfect “Highland Fling” during Folksong Suite. She was extremely talented, focused/disciplined and did not play. It was a disappointment she could not participate in our 2007 reunion gig at DCI.

• Like 1

April Gilligan (Garfield/Cadets). I was really looking forward to her return to the Cadets this year. Her guards were always amazing.

• Like 2

Younger folks may not realize it, but female color guard captains in the late 60’s and 70’s were unintended statements of women’s equality.  Prior to that time color guards were all male and it was unheard of to have a female in charge.  If you watch some of the old-school drum corps of the time notice these ladies.  They were confident and had the attitude of “anything a man can do we can do too” and they did.  I didn’t realize it at the time, but they were trend-setters and I’m proud of these ladies.

Sorry for the rando post but my second Manhattan is “100% effective”.

Edited by greg_orangecounty
  • Haha 1

On 11/15/2020 at 7:54 PM, greg_orangecounty said:

Younger folks may not realize it, but female color guard captains in the late 60’s and 70’s were unintended statements of women’s equality.  Prior to that time color guards were all male and it was unheard of to have a female in charge.  If you watch some of the old-school drum corps of the time notice these ladies.  They were confident and had the attitude of “anything a man can do we can do too” and they did.  I didn’t realize it at the time, but they were trend-setters and I’m proud of these ladies.

Sorry for the rando post but my second Manhattan is “100% effective”.

Step into the Wayback Machine and dial in August 9, 1964, Roosevelt Stadium, Jersey City, the Dream Contest, the annual fundraiser for the Diocese of Newark, the most prestigious show on the East coast.

St. Kevin's Emerald Knights of Dorchester, MA have just hit the concert formation. The drum major steps to the side to make way for the guard captain who will now conduct "South Rampart Street Parade".

We all looked on in disbelief. A "guard person" conducting? A "girl" guard person?

At a time when the FM 22-5 field manual protocols were strictly observed and judging standards were driven by military procedures, she strolled confidently to the center, brought up the horns, ...and brought down the house with her energetic conducting and (dare I say it?), choreographic approach. No one had ever seen anything like this. She was spectacular.

Nuns gasped and hid their eyes. The priests and brothers stared. The rest of the audience went berserk, and when the dust settled that hot afternoon, St. Kevin's became the first non-Jersey corps to ever win the Dream title.

Her name was Barbara Bergdoll, her brother the French Horn star, her father the brass instructor. Not a living soul in that stadium on that day will ever forget her.

Here's an article with a photo of Barbara from an earlier contest that season:

https://historical-drum-corps-publications.blogspot.com/2007_03_09_archive.html

Edited by ironlips
additional detail
  • Like 4