How will All-Age Drum Corps recover from COVID?

In this world of COVID as it relates to All-Age Drum Corps, I don't see an easy path on a return to a competitive environment. Has anyone given any thought on how that can happen? This has caused some real life changing events that quite frankly makes one prioritize what they've done in years past a whole lot differently.

until there is a widely distributed vaccine, it stays stuck in limbo

I doubt that DCA as you know it today will survive .  it’s membership staff and supporters will find other things to occupy the time the next few years and when the time IS ripe to resume most everyone that was interested will have moved on .

I could see some form of a mini corps organization gaining some ground and performing stage shows as rehearsals would be minimal and smaller facilities would be needed for rehearsals . 

DCA is dead 

1 hour ago, camel lips said:

I doubt that DCA as you know it today will survive .  it’s membership staff and supporters will find other things to occupy the time the next few years and when the time IS ripe to resume most everyone that was interested will have moved on .

I could see some form of a mini corps organization gaining some ground and performing stage shows as rehearsals would be minimal and smaller facilities would be needed for rehearsals . 

DCA is dead 

DCA as we knew it was on life support as it was.But i don't see a drastic reorganization

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

DCA as we knew it was on life support as it was.But i don't see a drastic reorganization

Agreed .. perhaps the Alumni corps and mini corps will be the  thing that keeps Drum corps Alive . Imagine that . 

13 hours ago, camel lips said:

Agreed .. perhaps the Alumni corps and mini corps will be the  thing that keeps Drum corps Alive . Imagine that . 

alumni corps is going to be harder. the alumni of old are....getting older. there's not as many corps as 10 years ago. in most cases when you look at alumni corps, the membership isn't getting younger, and the older style shows are not drawing interest. all of the "name" corps see more benefit doing one time super corps, like SCV or Madison or Cavies have done, or Bloo is planning.

Mini corps need to break off on their own. DCA will never give them full priority, because they'd have to become members, and they'd siphon money away from the field corps. the key for mini is to prove they can draw a paying audience, as they've yet to do that

• Like 1

What COVID has done is make most of us do a total reset. Starting over for some will not be as easy as it may be for others. That is where the challenges will come for DCA when they try and reorganize. I just don't see there being enough interest to wanting to be a weekend warrior when you are looking at putting your Family back to normal. When I started this topic I was feeling optimistic about some form of DCA coming out. I'm not so sure I feel that way anymore. Hopefully there will be some forward thinking people who can put a plan together to keep DCA alive. There are a lot of us still here who have fond memories of DCA as performers and made life long friendships. Just hearing the words, 'DCA is Dead' is so sad.

I don't think weekend warriors exist as much now.  DCA is full of younger talent looking to get experience to do DCI in some cases, or perhaps can't do the time commitment of DCI (so mildly a weekend warrior).

I think the survival of the corps will determine DCA's future.  The bodies may be there to do DCA, but the corps may not if this keeps up.  Corps in good financial standing may be more apt to survive this, but if the number of corps that survive is small, will the need be there?

On 11/15/2020 at 10:10 PM, Jeff Ream said:

I don’t get the attraction! Some said more entertaining - what are you comparing it to? Some have said they’re training corps - training for what? Some have said more affordable vs DCI touring corps - training becomes somewhat irrelevant if one cannot afford DCI touring fees. Some have said a place for DCI age outs - what percentage of DCI age outs make up a typical DCA organization? I’m a believer in that if you change nothing, nothing’s ever going to change. Not convinced there is a need for all-age. 

Perhaps Drum Corps, Jr. and All-Age should be under one governing body. Couldn't hurt.