2021 if not full season then......???!

6 hours ago, O'Neal's said:

How is my opinion an attack? There are many I march with that believe a elitist attitude exist within drum corps. That is their opinion and I share it. Many things before covid-19 could have been done to promote the corps but in many ways it is driven by outdated past model of success. Proven here when someone has different opinion and overwhelmingly there are posts to put those ideas down. Liabilities are something that can be overcome with negotiation and discussion. Instead of even trying everyone downplay the suggestions. Then get angry and start to make accusations. 

performers since day 1 have felt that way. it's your turn to feel it now, just the circle of life so to speak in drum corps life.

and when your possible day comes that you're in a position of authority in the activity, kids will feel the same way about you.

now in terms of marketing i will not disagree DCI hasn't been at the forefront of relevant, tho it has gotten a little better. But you, like I did at your age, also don't get just how niche of an activity drum corps is.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Continental said:

Yesterday was the first day I actually read the guidelines.

The result I got from that was thinking the moderators really are "moderate" - not iron fisted.

that's the key part of "moderator". always shades of grey in life, be it DCP or figuring out if a tour is feasible.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

When drum corps touring returns (i.e. 2022), we will need all the housing sites we can get.  By all means, if a church along the tour path has the full gymnasium/locker room facilities to house a corps, and the six football fields/several with power feeds/one with elevated press box or whatever they require now, and they (and their neighborhood) are willing to have us there drumming away ceaselessly from dawn to whenever the local noise curfew is, and the dates and rates are practical... sign us up.

yup. but don't expect churches to come roaring back. several are hurting for a plethora of reasons

5 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Churches I belonged to have the building and grounds and that’s it. But definitely had/have enough non religious groups using parts of the facility. Anywhere from AA, support groups to Brownie troops (not church sponsored). For many churches secular use not an issue... just get that liability paperwork ready and don’t destroy the plumbing (one of the reasons my old church kicked out a group).

and the cost for brownie troops is huge right now. I know, my kids troop started outside, had one meeting inside and now with the spike, well zoom it is

6 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

This is true BUT that was a million years ago. Very different times for a longtime already. There is a mega church close to me that housed Devils several years ago and provided a filed. When asked a few years ago it was a flat out no and Devils were the perfect guest. 

I have even talked to community gyms for winter programs THAT SIT EMPTY on the weekends, Offered thousands for a Sat. Sun rehearsal with a million in liability Ins.. Response was NAW we rather leave it empty. I was floored, but not unusual.

Sad but true

Edited by Continental

1 minute ago, Brian Tuma said:

It’s just a matter of time before your multiple accounts start arguing with each other. 

Sister had a college roommate who talked to herself. That’s was bad enough until she started arguing with herself... at 3am. 😬

Sent a PM to o’Neals to answer a question and got a nice response. Feel it’s legit and at worse youth and frustration showing... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

It’s just a matter of time before your multiple accounts start arguing with each other. 

but who wins?

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

I got a similar vibe from their posting history. They just sort of showed up and jumped right in. I’m questioning whether they are indeed a female of marching age. Another red flag for me is their lack of critical thinking skills that drum corps teaches and/or looks for in potential members. 

12 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

I do not think these kind of guideline-flouting personal comments are appropriate.

• Being new to the forum does not automatically make you a troll.
  • Being female does not automatically make you a troll.
  • Being of marching age does not automatically make you a troll.
  • Being optimistic does not automatically make you a troll.  
  • Being temporarily mistaken does not automatically make you a troll.

Take it from me, a recovering optimist.  I am now convinced that a 2021 season will not be possible.  But I just arrived at that conclusion after spending some time defending pursuit of the optimistic scenario.  I was not trolling - I honestly believed there was a possibility of things working out to make 2021 possible and practical, if a lot of prerequisites fell into place at an aggressive pace.  But as things developed, milestones did not occur soon enough and more focused projections indicate that pandemic recovery will not come in time.

Consider that the grapevine tells us that half of DCI voting directors have not yet arrived at that conclusion.  That is of far greater concern to me than whether DCP attains full unanimity instead of the x-1 consensus currently prevailing.

• Like 1