2021 if not full season then......???!

21 hours ago, O'Neal's said:

The forums have a poll where it is in favor there could be a 2021 season. That is even in this forum where it is extremely negative towards marching in 2021. I looked at the results are 50.96% to 49.04%. 

Bear in mind that I launched that poll in July, and that is when nearly all the voting took place.

23 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

I do not think these kind of guideline-flouting personal comments are appropriate.

• Being new to the forum does not automatically make you a troll.
  • Being female does not automatically make you a troll.
  • Being of marching age does not automatically make you a troll.
  • Being optimistic does not automatically make you a troll.  
  • Being temporarily mistaken does not automatically make you a troll.

Take it from me, a recovering optimist.  I am now convinced that a 2021 season will not be possible.  But I just arrived at that conclusion after spending some time defending pursuit of the optimistic scenario.  I was not trolling - I honestly believed there was a possibility of things working out to make 2021 possible and practical, if a lot of prerequisites fell into place at an aggressive pace.  But as things developed, milestones did not occur soon enough and more focused projections indicate that pandemic recovery will not come in time.

Consider that the grapevine tells us that half of DCI voting directors have not yet arrived at that conclusion.  That is of far greater concern to me than whether DCP attains full unanimity instead of the x-1 consensus currently prevailing.

Point out in either of my posts where I mentioned someone being a troll. 

2 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

Point out in either of my posts where I mentioned someone being a troll. 

Point out in his where he said you did.  

I suspect he was referring to the below post and the pile-on of personal comments, including yours, that accompanied it. 

22 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the refusal to reply to well thought out reasoned commentary shows a true troll approach. Ahhhh youth

We sometimes lament how few of us still post here.  We should perhaps consider how we treat newcomers and infrequent visitors when we ponder why that is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, skevinp said:

Point out in his where he said you did.  

I suspect he was referring to the below post and the pile-on of personal comments, including yours, that accompanied it. 

We sometimes lament how few of us still post here.  We should perhaps consider how we treat newcomers and infrequent visitors when we ponder why that is.

the good news is i do often go out of my way to give the benefit of the doubt. i will not however hesitate to call out someone who refuses to engage in discourse and just beat a dead horse while ignoring pointed questions.

We need to welcome new posters, especially those of marching age. Young people who want to march are the ones most impacted by what is going on with DCI shutting down or doing something else. 

Chasing them away with highly derogatory posts, sometimes personal and sometime just snarky, is not, IMO, the way to do this. Remember how you may have thought and reacted when you were of marching age. We sometimes forget that.

Whether or not having a POV that DCI may have some sort of season in 2021 is realistic or just wishful thinking, I don't see that it incumbent on DCP posters to squash those dreams, especially with the negative tone some of the posts have taken.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Bear in mind that I launched that poll in July, and that is when nearly all the voting took place.

And we can’t change our vote...

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, MikeD said:

We need to welcome new posters, especially those of marching age. Young people who want to march are the ones most impacted by what is going on with DCI shutting down or doing something else. 

Chasing them away with highly derogatory posts, sometimes personal and sometime just snarky, is not, IMO, the way to do this. Remember how you may have thought and reacted when you were of marching age. We sometimes forget that.

Whether or not having a POV that DCI may have some sort of season in 2021 is realistic or just wishful thinking, I don't see that it incumbent on DCP posters to squash those dreams, especially with the negative tone some of the posts have taken.

A conversation does have to be both ways. One can't complain that they got shut down when in fact they may be doing the same especially with those who might have a little insight.

I do agree young people are the future of the activity. It's always been like that and there are plenty , even here who engage in reasonable dialog and amazingly far beyond their years. We have also seen those far along in years with little insight . Age IMO has no barrier, the good and bad of that...lol

You are right we can not run off young people IF in fact that's what they are, not those who have been banned. I have had a few PMs who for sure believe this. Funny with a few posts it's kinda easy to see several similar and recognizable attributes . Coincidence , maybe

With all that said, I do think there have been many who gave much respect and of course like always there is always the opposite. I think respect being a 2 way street is an old saying worth repeating.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

A conversation does have to be both ways. One can't complain that they got shut down when in fact they may be doing the same especially with those who might have a little insight.

I do agree young people are the future of the activity. It's always been like that and there are plenty , even here who engage in reasonable dialog and amazingly far beyond their years. We have also seen those far along in years with little insight . 

You are right we can not run off young people IF in fact that's what they are, not those who have been banned. I have had a few PMs who for sure believe this. Funny with a few it's kinda easy to see several similar and recognizable attributes . Coincidence , maybe

I agree on going both ways with discussion. However, it can look like ganging up when multiple DCP veterans start a barrage of posts. I don't blame a person for just saying "the heck with DCP" in such an instance. 

As far as I know, the person in question is the young woman she says she is. Unless I absolutely know otherwise, I do not question that. Is it possible that she is not who she says? Sure. We don't have people provide ID when they sign up.  

3 minutes ago, MikeD said:

I agree on going both ways with discussion. However, it can look like ganging up when multiple DCP veterans start a barrage of posts. I don't blame a person for just saying "the heck with DCP" in such an instance. 

As far as I know, the person in question is the young woman she says she is. Unless I absolutely know otherwise, I do not question that. Is it possible that she is not who she says? Sure. We don't have people provide ID when they sign up.  

I used to moderate a forum like this before. Although VPNs can prevent hide a person’s identity, do forum admins not have access to the IP Addresses of posters in order to check if previously banned posters are simply using a different account?